Germany Tuition Free Universities and Scholarships for International Students
Germany has become a popular destination for foreign students looking for international education.
German Universities offers internationally recognized programs at a relatively cheaper cost compared to the UK, USA or Australia. Moreover, there are a significant number of available scholarships that allows foreign students to study in Germany for free.
Tuition Free Colleges and Universities in Germany
As of October 2014, all Universities in Germany stopped charging any tuition fees for undergraduate studies.
However, This was quoted from a reliable source ,“There is no tuition free universities Germany, in as much there is mandatory €8700 to be deposited into blocked account before applicant can apply for student visa and after arriving in Germany the money cannot be withdrawn once unlike other countries like Italy whose tuition fees start from €800-€3000 after partly payment, prospectus is good to apply for visa, in Spain tuition fees start from €2000 – 75000 no blocked account no upfront deposit, in Belgium from 2000 – €5000 no deposit no blocked account, Netherlands, France, Estonia, Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Malta, all other countries are the same except Norway prospectus have to deposit €13000 and after arrive in Norway, wait for 2 to 3 months for social number and residence card then student can withdraw all his/her funds
To the best of my knowledge and understanding studies in Germany there’s no tuition free but indirectly €8,700 stands as tuition fees.”
In some Federal States, Universities will charge a semester contribution (about 50 euros) and/or administration fees (about 50 euros).
This tuition fee structure can change in the future and this means you should check this page for updated information on tuition fees in different federal states in Germany.
Unlike undergraduate studies, most Master’s or Ph.D. studies in Germany are fee-based. The costs for postgraduate studies are in addition to the enrollment and confirmation fees.
According to uscollegeinternational.com, there are 8 tuition free universities in Germany.
List of Universities in Germany for International Students that are Tuition Free
- Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
- Humboldt University of Berlin
- University of Mannheim
- University of Cologne
- RWTH Aachen University
- Technical University of Munich
- University of Hamburg
- Free University of Berlin
Description of Tuition Free Universities in Germany
- Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich – This institution was started in 1472 and has been continuing to operate since then. Because of the large funding of over 1.7 billion euros every year, it is able to provide education to students without charging any tuition fees. This is a great news for international students because with the free tuition, they can better afford to finance their education.
- Humboldt University of Berlin– Do you want to study at a free German university that has produced over 50 Nobel Prize Winners? If so, you should definitely check Humboldt University of Berlin! The famous scientists such as Albert Einstein were part of the faculty here, which shows its excellence in the natural sciences. It is also one of the best universities in the world for arts and humanities, so definitely check this university out!
- University of Mannheim– This university is a relatively young university that was founded in 1967. It now has around 12,000 students that study at this German university for free. International students that are accepted to University of Mannheim can study in Business School, School of Humanities, School of Economics and Law, etc.
- University of Cologne– If you are interested in studying at a huge German university, definitely take a look at University of Cologne. It currently has over 40,000 students, which is one of the largest student body in Germany. Because of that, the university offers numerous courses on various subjects. Take advantage of the numerous courses and study whatever you desire!
- RWTH Aachen University– Do you want to study at a German technical university that is ranked in the top in Germany for engineering, science, and medicine as an international student? If yes, you should definitely consider studying at RWTH Aachen University! It is excellent in those fields, and also it is one of the most internationally minded German universities. It has partnerships with excellent institutions such as TU Delft and ETH Zurich. International students will be welcomed at this great university in Germany.
- Technical University of Munich– Another excellent technical university is that of Munich, which rivals RWTH Aachen University. It has produced 17 Nobel Laureates since its establishment in 1868, which demonstrates the great education it provides. For international students that are interested in STEM fields, think about applying for admissions at this free German university.
- University of Hamburg– Since 1919, this university has educated thousands of scholars, many of whom have enriched the lives of many around them. With the endowment of over 600 million euros, it is and continues to be one of the best German universities for international students.
- Free University of Berlin– Established during the Cold War Era, the Free University of Berlin represented the Freedom of the West Berlin, which was the stark contrast to the lack of freedom in East Berlin. International students can attend this recognized university for free! So apply!
Fortunately, there are a good number of scholarships for Masters and Ph.D. students to study in Germany.
GERMAN SCHOLARSHIP FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
Deutschland Stipendium National Scholarship Programme
The Deutschlandstipendium (Germany Scholarship Program) provides financial and non-material support to high-achieving and committed students from all over the world.
The Germany Scholarship supports highly talented students at all participating universities in Germany.
This scholarship is awarded without consideration of personal or parent income and one’s nationality is not material to award either.
The scholarship amounts to 300 EUR per month and is granted for at least two semesters but may be provided for a maximum time which covers the standard period of study.
DAAD Scholarship Programs
DAAD is a joint organization of Germany’s higher education institutions and is responsible for promoting international academic relations, primarily through the exchange of students, academics, and researchers.
The DAAD scholarship database contains scholarship and funding opportunities for foreign students, graduate students, and scientists who are seeking financial support for their studies, research work or teaching assignments in Germany.
The database not only lists all the scholarships offered by the DAAD, but also diverse programmes offered by a wide variety of institutions.
Germany Foundations’ Scholarship Programs
A number of political and religious foundations in Germany offers scholarships to international students from various backgrounds, interests, and qualifications. studentwerk-berlin.de outlines them in this list.
Erasmus Scholarship Programs in Germany
German Universities participate in quite a number of study programs which are funded by Erasmus Mundus and Erasmus+ scholarships.
The scholarships can finance international students who want to pursue a participating study program in Germany.