German Chancellor Fellowships for Tomorrow’s Leaders in Germany.
The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation is inviting applications for Fellowships from prospective leaders from Brazil, China, India, Russia and the USA to conduct a project as guests of the partner of their choice in Germany. German C Fellowships are open to an array of sectors such as politics, economics, the media, administration and culture. The fellowship itself is awarded for twelve months and begins in October with a four-week introductory seminar in Bonn and Berlin. This is followed by eleven months of individual project work starting in November. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | Germany
Level: It is a twelve months fellowship which provides opportunity fellows to conduct a project as guests of the partner of their choice in Germany.
Field(s): German Chancellor Fellowships are open to an array of sectors such as politics, economics, the media, administration and culture.
Deadline: 15th September 2017.
Funded By: The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): German Chancellor Fellowships are targeted for Citizens of Brazil, China, India, Russia and the USA can apply for the German Chancellor Fellowships.
‣ Award No: The Foundation grants up to 50 German Chancellor Fellowships annually, up to ten prospective leaders selected from each of the five countries.
‣ Scholarship Duration: The fellowship itself is awarded for twelve months and begins in October with a four-week introductory seminar in Bonn and Berlin, which provides insights into social, political, business and cultural life in Germany. This is followed by eleven months of individual project work starting in November.
‣ Scholarship covers: The fellowship amount is 2,150 EUR, 2.450 EUR or 2,750 EUR per month, depending on the fellow’s qualifications. This stipend includes a travel allowance and a contribution towards health and liability insurance.
|The stay in Germany begins with a mandatory two-month intensive language course from August to September; Fellows whose German language skills are good but could still be improved are required to take part in a one-month language course; for fellows with excellent German language skills the requirement to take this intensive language course is waived. Additional benefits are as follows:|
‣ The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation offers prospective leaders from Brazil, China, India, Russia and the USA the opportunity to conduct a project as guests of the partner of their choice in Germany.
‣ With the support of your host you can spend a year concentrating on a project you have chosen yourself and give your career that crucial boost. German Chancellor Fellowships are open to an array of sectors such as politics, economics, the media, administration and culture.
‣ The Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany is the patron of this German Chancellor Fellowships programme. During their time in Germany, Federal Chancellor Fellows conduct independent projects at their host institutions.
‣ The project should involve original exploration of a topic or issue, or research in the fellow’s respective field of interest.
‣ The fellows are mentored by hosts in Germany, whom the fellows have chosen on the basis of their expertise in their respective areas.
‣ Projects should be of relevance to modern societies, have a long-term and visible impact, and help to advance fellows’ careers and professional development.
‣ Through their experience in Germany, fellows will acquire greater knowledge of their fields, gain new international experience, and strengthen their intercultural competence – all essential qualities for future professional leaders.
To be considered to apply for German Chancellor Fellowships, applicants must have
‣ Citizenship of the United States, the Russian Federation, the People’s Republic of China, Brazil or India.
‣ Bachelor’s or comparable academic degree, completed less than twelve years prior to the starting date of the fellowship (1 October of the year following application)
‣ Demonstrated leadership potential ; applicants whose background are largely academic should also have gained some leadership experience beyond their own research activities
‣ Either English or German language skills
‣ A letter of motivation
‣ A project plan; the candidate must draw up the project plan independently and secure the support of the proposed mentor before submitting an application
‣ A detailed host’s statement, including a confirmation of support
‣ Two letters of recommendation from individuals qualified to comment on the candidate’s professional, personal, and/or academic background
‣ Applicants who have been in Germany for more than six months at the time of the application deadline (15 September) are not eligible to apply.
‣ Anyone who has already been sponsored by the Humboldt Foundation cannot apply to the Foundation for the German Chancellor Fellowship and should instead refer to the Foundation’s Alumni Programme for support for further stays in Germany.
Selection Criteria for German Chancellor Fellowships
Applicants will be selected based on the following criteria:
- applicant’s prior history and leadership potential
- significance of the fellowship for further career objectives -future role of the applicant as an intermediary between his/her own country and Germany
- international orientation of the applicant and prospective role as an international leader
- prior knowledge and experience to complete the project successfully
- persuasiveness and relevance of the project plan
Notification for German Chancellor Fellowships
‣ Selection meeting will be held at Bonn in May. In each selection round, the best applicants will be selected for a fellowship.
‣ Approval or rejection of an application is always related to the qualifications of the other applicants.
‣ Thus, it is usually impossible to provide detailed reasons for a rejection.
‣ The Humboldt Foundation does however offer all rejected interview candidates individual feedback.
Scholarship Application Method
The completed application form, including the necessary additional documents, should be submitted online by the application deadline.
Visit the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation’s website (http://www.humboldt-foundation.de/buka) for further information on the online application process and all necessary documents as well as access to the online application system.
A confirmation of receipt will be issued immediately after the application has been submitted. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that their documents are complete. It may not be possible to include incomplete applications in the selection procedure.
The host in Germany should send the confidential statement directly to the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation by the application deadline at the latest. The selection process consists of two steps.
The most promising candidates are initially selected from all formally approved applications on the basis of the written documents, and invited to a selection meeting in Bonn.
During an interview, the applicants present themselves and their projects to an independent selection committee which decides on how the fellowships should be allocated.
A further selection tool involves a group discussion on an overarching topic of general interest. Additional information on the selection process can be found in the FAQ section on the Humboldt Foundation’s website.
The Humboldt Foundation will be pleased to answer any further questions about the German Chancellor Fellowship Programme by email (firstname.lastname@example.org). US candidates for the German Chancellor Fellowship Programme can also approach the office of the American Friends of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation.
American Friends of the
Alexander von Humboldt Foundation 1101 17th
Street NW, Suite 603 Washington,
DC 20036 Tel: (202) 783-1907
Fax: (202) 783-1908
Hosts’ statements and references should be sent directly to the Humboldt Foundation in Bonn and not to the office of the American Friends of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on 15th September 2017
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.