SHARE TO HELP SOMEONE WIN A SCHOLARSHIP TODAY!
The Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO) is now offering the Genentech Age-related Macular Degeneration (AMD) Research Fellowships in support of research related to age-related macular degeneration. To be eligible for the fellowship, applicants must be a newly established investigator age 45 or younger at the time of application. While ARVO membership is not necessary, applicants must currently be working in a non-profit or academic research center. A single grant of $40,000 grant will be awarded to a basic researcher working to advance the understanding of AMD, while the second grant of $40,000 will be awarded to an AMD researcher focused on therapeutics.
The Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, Inc. (ARVO) was founded in 1928 in Washington, DC by a group of 73 ophthalmologists. ARVO was originally named the Association for Research in Ophthalmology (ARO), but the word “vision” was added in 1970 to better reflect the scientific profile of our members. ARVO is the largest and most respected eye and vision research organization in the world.
To eligible, the applicant must meet all the following criteria:
- Newly established investigators who are age 45 or younger at the application deadline and have received their MD, D. or equivalent degree after 2007
- Candidates must hold an MD, D., DVM, DO, OD or equivalent degree
- Applicant must serve as the Principal Investigator on the project
- No geographical restrictions
- Applicants are not required to be members of ARVO
- Applicants must currently be working in nonprofit or academic research centers
- Previous recipients are not eligible
How to Apply:
To apply, the applicant must create an account to submit an online application through the given link: https://www.arvo.org/Login/?ReturnUrl=/sso.aspx
The following forms and documents are required to complete the application. All documents listed below are to be uploaded into the online application.
- Research plan (maximum of three pages, typed, single space) including the following sections:
- Background and Significance
- Design and Methodology
- Project Narrative
- Specific Aims
- A one-page description of applicant’s vision for future research and its anticipated impact related to AMD.
- A list of three professional references, including name, department, email, and phone.
- Project budget
- Funds may be used for research, including salary and benefits
- Funds may not be used for purchasing equipment
- No overhead fees can be assessed
- NIH bio-sketch or equivalent
- Signature form signed by principal investigator, department head, and administrative officialhttps://arvo.app.box.com/v/genentechsigform
Financial Aid and Award Money:
- Two fellowships of $40,000 each will be awarded.
- One fellowship will be awarded in each of the following areas:
- Basic research in the understanding of AMD, and
- Translational AMD research focusing on therapeutics (not yet in clinical trials)
- Grants are for a period of one-year and must commence within six months of award notification.
- Recipients will be expected to submit their findings for possible presentation at an ARVO Annual Meeting and publish results, as appropriate.
- A report must be submitted to the ARVO Foundation within 30 days of the conclusion of the research period.
The applications are must be submitted no later than September 1, 2017.
Link for More Information:
If you have any additional information, contact awards-at-arvo.org