Facebook is inviting applications for the Funded Facebook AI Research Residency Program 2018, eligible applicants will be granted consideration for this program.
The Facebook AI Research (FAIR) Residency Program is a one-year research training program with Facebook’s AI Research group, designed to give you hands-on experience of machine learning research. The program will pair you with a senior researcher or engineer in FAIR, who will act as your mentor. Together, you will pick a research problem of mutual interest and then devise new deep learning techniques to solve it. FB also encourage collaborations beyond the assigned mentor. The research will be communicated to the academic community by submitting papers to top academic venues (NIPS, ICML, ICLR, CVPR, ICCV, ACL, EMNLP etc.), as well as open-source code releases.
- Learn how to perform research in deep learning and AI.
- Understand prior work and existing literature.
- Work with research mentor(s) to identify problem(s) of interest and develop novel AI techniques.
- Translate ideas into practical code (in frameworks such as PyTorch, Caffe 2).
- Write up research results in the form of an academic paper and submit to a top conference in the relevant area.
- Bachelors degree in a STEM field such as Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent practical experience.
- Completed coursework in: Linear Algebra, Probability, Calculus, or equivalent.
- Coding experience in a general-purpose programming language, such as Python or C/C++.
- Familiarity with a deep learning platform such as PyTorch, Caffe, Theano, or TensorFlow.
- Ability to communicate complex research in a clear, precise, and actionable manner.
- Research experience in machine learning or AI (as established for instance via publications and/or code releases).
- Significant contributions to open-source projects, demonstrating strong math, engineering, statistics, or machine learning skills.
- A strong track record of scholastic excellence.
- Residents will be paid a competitive salary.
To apply to the 2018 Facebook AI Residency Program, you will need to complete the application and submit the following items:
- CV/Resume (including links to GitHub, professional webpages, publications, or blogposts as applicable)
- Personal statement
- Academic grade transcript
Note: All materials must be in PDF format.
Please include details of: (i) research you have undertaken and publications that resulted; (ii) any Machine Learning competitions you participated in and their outcomes; (iii) details of significant coding experience and links to any open-source repositories. Please try to focus on impact.
In a maximum of 2 pages, describe why you wish to participate in the program. Convey your previous experience in AI, interest in research, and long-term plans. We do not require a specific format, but encourage you to value readability (e.g. not go below 10 point fonts and 1 inch margins) and use your best judgment.
Include transcripts for all degrees completed. If applying from a non-US school, please append a conversion of your grades to US GPA equivalent (this tool may be helpful: https://www.foreigncredits.com/resources/gpa-calculator/, although this should not be considered an endorsement).
- Deadline for applications: January 26, 2018
- Notification of interview: February 16, 2018
- Notification of admission: March 5, 2018
- Deadline for offer acceptance: April 20, 2018
- Residency Program start: August 2018
- Residency Program end: August 2019
To apply, complete the application below and include the three required documents in PDF format. The deadline for applications is Jan 26, 2018. Any applications or late materials after this date will not be considered.
If your application passes an initial screening, we will contact you to request a letter of recommendation. Following this, we may want to interview you in person over video conference.
Application Deadline: January 26th 2018
For More Information: