Entries are now been subitted for the Fully Funded WASCAL Doctoral Research Programme in Climate Change and Land Use 2018- Ghana, eligible persons are by this notice invited to hurry and apply for this program before the deadline
About the Award:
Type: PhD, Research
Climate Change and Land Use
Value of Award:
Fully-funded (tuition, stipend, research and travel grants)
Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Republic of Benin, Senegal, The Gambia and Togo.
To Be Taken At (Country):
In conformity with the entry requirement of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, the successful candidate will have a minimum of:
- Second Class (Upper Division) in their first degree and a good Masters degree in Soil Science, Agricultural Engineering (Soil and Water Engineering option), Civil Engineering (Water Resources/Hydrology option), Geomatic Engineering, Natural Resources (Silviculture and Forestry, and Watershed management), Mathematics, Geography, Land Economy, Atmospheric Physics, Climatology, and other relevant disciplines, with an average of at least 60%. Submit academic transcripts as evidence.
- English Proficiency indicated below:
- Must have first or second degree with English language as the medium of instruction, OR
- Must have an internationally recognised Certificate of Proficiency in the English Language (TOEFL or IELTS) with above average score.
- Otherwise the candidate will have to undertake a three-month pre-master’s intensive English course at KNUST.
- Full time availability from April 30, 2018 for a period of forty-three months.
- Demonstrate adequate intellectual capacity, maturity and effective decision making and problem solving potentials.
- Experience with modelling and GIS would be an advantage but not a prerequisite.
- Must have the ability to travel to Germany for a period of 3 to 6 months
Selected PhD Candidate will be required to strictly adhere to the following:
- Attend all classes for the required modules in the course work phase and pass all examinations.
- Develop a comprehensive research proposal with detailed literature review and methodology.
- Must pass a comprehensive exam after the first year as a requirement of the KNUST School of Graduate Studies.
- You will be required to provide timely feedbacks and submit reports and assignments on schedule.
- The international nature of the programme will demand good working relations among people of different cultures, so participants must show maturity in working in groups.
- Publish at least 2 papers from his/her research findings in a reputable international peer-reviewed journal before qualifying to graduate.
The selected candidate will be enrolled in the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi, and will attend all lectures at Kumasi but will have the opportunity to visit any of the partner institutions and the WASCAL Competency Centre for research and discussions when necessary.
How to Apply:
Candidates may apply directly to the DRP CCLU by submitting all information requested via email to the Secretary at [email protected]/[email protected] and copy to [email protected]/[email protected] before the deadline February 28, 2018. For further information you may call +233 322062529 during office hours (08:00hrs –to 17:00hrs GMT.
Completing Application Form
- Access the KNUST application form via
Ghanaian Applicants: Are to complete the pdf application forms.
Foreign Applicants: admissions.knust.edu.gh/pgadmissionsnew/foreign.php
- All Applicants must submit two completed referee’s form (attached pdf )
- Carefully read the IMPORTANT NOTES on the Application Form
- Complete application form and add scanned recent passport-size picture
- Submit the signed application form and other information to email addresses above.
Application Deadline: 28th February 2018
Important Notes: KNUST in collaboration with the DRP CCLU Board will short list candidates and select one candidate for each country. There will be a selection interview in/or near Kumasi or via telephone. The date of the interview will be communicated after shortlisting. The selection interview is mandatory to support the final selection of candidates. Successful candidates will then submit hardcopy of the application package.