WASCAL Doctoral Research Programme 2019
Entries are now been submitted for the Fully Funded WASCAL Doctoral Research Programme in Climate Change and Land Use 2019 in KNUST Ghana, eligible persons are hereby notified and invited to hurry and apply for this program before the deadline.
About the Award: WASCAL Doctoral Research Programme
Level/Field of Study
The WASCAL Doctoral Research Programme is based on the field of Climate Change and Land Use. This research is for PhD, Research students.
The following scholarships are available for applicants from the following eleven (11) West African Countries to study for PhD in Climate Change and Land Use at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi, Ghana: Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Republic of Benin, Senegal, The Gambia and Togo.
- The program has a maximum of 20 places for the year 2019, with eleven scholarships available. All applicants are encouraged to indicate their willingness on the payment forms or otherwise to register as self-funded students with another means of scholarship, in case they do not qualify for a scholarship.
- All doctoral recipients will receive an allowance of €500.00 per month (but will receive €250.00 during preparatory English preparation) to cover accommodation and other expenses related to the months we spent in Ghana. Approved travel expenses, fieldwork fees, etc., will be reimbursed.
- The disbursement of the scholarship funds will be related to the successful execution of the expected results of the research work, which will be agreed between the project director, the supervisor and the doctorate at the beginning of the research work.
- The field research will be sponsored after a successful course work and the defence of a PhD proposal. The PhD student has the opportunity to visit Germany once during the PhD period to participate in doctoral level courses and joint supervision if their state allows it.
- The trip will last from 3 to 6 months. The plane ticket will be paid for the project and a monthly allowance of around €1000.00 will also be provided (to cover accommodation and personal expenses) for each month spent in Germany. Fully-funded (tuition, stipend, research and travel grants)
In conformity with the entry requirement of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, the successful candidate will have a minimum of:
- Second Class (Upper Division) in their first degree and a good Masters degree in Soil Science, Agricultural Engineering (Soil and Water Engineering option), Civil Engineering (Water Resources/Hydrology option), Geomatic Engineering, Natural Resources (Silviculture and Forestry, and Watershed management), Mathematics, Geography, Land Economy, Atmospheric Physics, Climatology, and other relevant disciplines, with an average of at least 60%. Submit academic transcripts as evidence.
- English Proficiency indicated below:
- Must have a first or second degree with the English language as the medium of instruction, OR
- Must have an internationally recognised Certificate of Proficiency in the English Language (TOEFL or IELTS) with an above average score.
- Otherwise, the candidate will have to undertake a three-month pre-master’s intensive English course at KNUST.
- Full-time availability from April 30, 2019, for a period of forty-three months.
- Demonstrate adequate intellectual capacity, maturity and effective decision making and problem-solving potentials.
- Experience with modelling and GIS would be an advantage but not a prerequisite.
- Must have the ability to travel to Germany for a period of 3 to 6 months
Selected PhD Candidate will be required to strictly adhere to the following:
- Attend all classes for the required modules in the course work phase and pass all examinations.
- Develop a comprehensive research proposal with a detailed literature review and methodology.
- Must pass a comprehensive exam after the first year as a requirement of the KNUST School of Graduate Studies.
- You will be required to provide timely feedbacks and submit reports and assignments on schedule.
- The international nature of the programme will demand good working relations among people of different cultures, so participants must show maturity in working in groups.
- Publish at least 2 papers from his/her research findings in a reputable international peer-reviewed journal before qualifying to graduate.
The selected candidate will be enrolled in the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi, and will attend all lectures at Kumasi but will have the opportunity to visit any of the partner institutions and the WASCAL Competency Centre for research and discussions when necessary.
How to Apply:
Candidates may apply directly to the DRP CCLU by submitting all information requested via email to the Secretary at [email protected]/[email protected] and copy to [email protected]/[email protected] before the deadline February 28, 2019. For further information, you may call +233 322062529 during office hours (08:00hrs –to 17:00hrs GMT.
Completing Application Form
- Access the KNUST application form via
Ghanaian Applicants: Are to complete the pdf application forms.
Foreign Applicants: admissions.knust.edu.gh/pgadmissionsnew/foreign.php
- All Applicants must submit two completed referee’s form (attached pdf )
- Carefully read the IMPORTANT NOTES on the Application Form
- Complete the application form and add scanned recent passport-size picture
- Submit the signed application form and other information to email addresses above.
28th February 2019
Important Notes: KNUST in collaboration with the DRP CCLU Board will shortlist candidates and select one candidate for each country. There will be a selection interview in/or near Kumasi or via telephone. The date of the interview will be communicated after shortlisting. The selection interview is mandatory to support the final selection of candidates. Successful candidates will then submit a hardcopy of the application package.
- APPLICATION LINK
- ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
- SCHOLARSHIP WORTH
Hurry and submit your entries for the Fully Funded WASCAL Doctoral Research Programme in Climate Change and Land Use 2019- Ghana, see details for application procedure and the deadline for this program