Last updated on July 4th, 2018 at 08:40 pm
Applicants are invited to apply for Fulbright-Thailand Research Fund Junior Research Scholarship Programme. These scholarships are open for Thai applicants to conduct research in the USA.
The aim of the scholarship is to develop the capabilities of Thai university staff members and interested persons to gain six months of research experience in the United States as part of their doctoral dissertation requirements.
The Fulbright Program is the flagship international educational exchange program sponsored by the U.S. Government. It is designed to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries
ABOUT FULBRIGHT PROGRAM:
The Fulbright Program, including the Fulbright–Hays Program, is one of several United States Cultural Exchange Programs whose goal is to improve intercultural relations, cultural diplomacy, and intercultural competence between the people of the United States and other countries through the exchange of persons, knowledge, and skills. Via the program, competitively-selected American citizens including students, scholars, teachers, professionals, scientists and artists may receive scholarships or grants to study, conduct research, teach, or exercise their talents abroad; and citizens of other countries may qualify to do the same in the United States of America. The program was founded by United States Senator J. William Fulbright in 1946 and is considered to be one of the most widely recognized and prestigious scholarships in the world. The program provides 8,000 grants annually.
The Fulbright Program is administered by cooperating organizations such as the Institute of International Education and operates in over 160 countries around the world. The Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the U.S. Department of State sponsors the Fulbright Program and receives funding from the United States Congress via annual appropriation bills. The current funding of the program is $240 million per year; however, President Donald Trump has proposed a 71% cut to its funding in 2018.Additional direct and in-kind support comes from partner governments, foundations, corporations, and host institutions both in and outside the U.S.In each of 49 countries, a bi-national Fulbright Commission administers and oversees the Fulbright Program. In countries without a Fulbright Commission but that have an active program, the Public Affairs Section of the U.S. Embassy oversees the Fulbright Program. More than 370,000 people have participated in the program since it began; 59 Fulbright alumni have won Nobel Prizes; 82 have won Pulitzer Prizes.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT FULBRIGHT SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM:
The Fulbright Program works two ways: U.S. citizens may receive funding to go to a foreign country (U.S. Student Program, U.S. Scholar Program, Teacher Exchange Program, etc.) and non-U.S. citizens may come to the U.S. (Foreign Student Program, Visiting Scholar Program, Teacher Exchange Program, etc.).
Candidates recommended for Fulbright grants have high academic achievement, a compelling project proposal or statement of purpose, demonstrated leadership potential, and flexibility and adaptability to interact successfully with the host community abroad.
Fulbright grants are offered in almost all academic disciplines except clinical medical research involving patient contact. Fulbright grantees’ fields of study span the fine arts, humanities, social sciences, mathematics, natural and physical sciences, and professional and applied sciences.
- The Fulbright Distinguished Chair Awards comprise approximately forty distinguished lecturing, distinguished research and distinguished lecturing/research awards ranging from three to 12 months. Fulbright Distinguished Chair Awards are viewed as among the most prestigious appointments in the U.S. Fulbright Scholar Program. Candidates should be eminent scholars and have a significant publication and teaching record.
- The Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program sends American faculty members, scholars and professionals abroad to lecture or conduct research for up to a year.
- The Fulbright Specialist Program sends U.S. faculty and professionals to serve as expert consultants on curriculum, faculty development, institutional planning, and related subjects at overseas academic institutions for a period of two to six weeks.
- The Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program and Fulbright Scholar-in-Residence Program bring foreign scholars to lecture or conduct post-doctoral research for up to a year at U.S. colleges and universities.
- The Fulbright Regional Network for Applied Research (NEXUS) Program is a network of junior scholars, professionals and mid-career applied researchers from the United States, Brazil, Canada, and other Western Hemisphere nations in a year-long program that includes multi-disciplinary, team-based research, a series of three seminar meetings, and a Fulbright exchange experience.
LEVEL OF STUDY:
FIELD OF STUDY:
These scholarships are awarded in the fields offered by the university.
This scholarship is to be taken in the US
students from Thailand are invited to apply
SCHOLARSHIP BENEFITS :
These scholarships will cover the followings:
- For the grant sponsored by Fulbright Thailand, benefits are intended to cover round-trip international airfare, the monthly stipend for six months, in-transit allowance and health insurance. For the Fulbright-TRF partnership, funding support will be mainly provided by the Thailand Research Fund (TRF) with additional funding from Fulbright Thailand for not exceeding a period of six months.
- Fulbright Thailand will assist the grantees in the visa process, coordinate with the host U.S. institutions and offer non-monetary benefits, including orientations, enrichment seminars, international conferences, etc., which will help grantees to get access to their chosen host universities and create quality international networks.
SCHOLARSHIP ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA:
Applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Be physically present in Thailand at the time of the application, interview and orientation
- Be a Thai citizen in good health (individuals holding U.S. immigrant visas or permanent U.S. resident cards (green cards), or dual (Thai and U.S.) citizenships are not eligible to apply);
- Be a university lecturer OR interested persons who are undertaking graduate work at the PhD level at a Thai university;
- Have completed his or her coursework and passed the qualifying exam;
- Demonstrate strong academic performance at the graduate level;
- Have an appropriate background to undertake the proposal they have outlined;
- Have the concurrence of the University PhD program in which he or she is enrolled;
- Obtain written confirmation (a letter of invitation) from a U.S. professor or scientist at the host institution that he or she will supervise the research;
- Be able to take leave from his or her home institution or post;
- Preferably not have had extensive experience in the United States during the previous 5 years and
- Be able to fully participate in every activity organized by Fulbright Thailand, e.g. the preliminary orientation and the pre-departure orientation program, which will be held in February and June respectively.
- Those who work for the U.S. embassy and related agencies, please consult Fulbright Thailand before applying.
Entrance Requirement: Applicants should have the concurrence of the University PhD program in which he or she is enrolled
English Language Requirement: Applicants should have a valid TOEFL official score report:
- iBT TOEFL score of 71 or above or;
- ITP TOEFL score of 525 or;
- CU-TEP test score of 75.
How to Apply:
Applicants can apply through the online processor.
- All items must be completed in English and use American date notation (month day, year)
- All attachment files must be in the format of PDF only.
- For transcripts and TOEFL iBT, TOEFL ITP or CU-TEP score, a scanned copy must be of the original documents. However, please include only photocopied documents of those in your hard-copy application packet. Please do not mail us the original documents.
- Letters of Recommendation:
- It is highly recommended the recommenders are those qualified to evaluate the applicant’s qualification.
- Applicants must include two letters of recommendation in sealed envelope (sealed by the recommenders) in the application packet or the recommenders themselves email their letters (a scanned copy) directly to tusef-at-fulbrightthai.org with the subject: Recommendation letter for JRS Application. The two recommenders need not choose the same method of submitting their letters. In other words, one may opt to submit by emailing to tusef-at-fulbrightthai.org while the other in a sealed envelope.
- The recommenders must use official/professional e-mail addresses registered/associated with their institutions/organizations to ensure their credential. Their personal e-mail addresses are not accepted.
- The applicant must submit both online application and a set of hard-copy application. Once completing the online application, the applicant must print a hard copy from the online system to the TUSEF office by Thursday, October 19, 2017, via EMS, with a postmark.
For more information on this Fulbright scholarship for thai students, please see this link Here
The deadline for application have been slated to be on the Friday, November 2, 2018.