Every human needs to be understood especially for students in the university. It is a skill that you might want to develop. Check out the free online courses on Communication Skills for University Success. This will definitely be an advantage point for you.
This specialization aims to prepare students for undergraduate studies at an English-speaking university to upgrade communication skills for University Success. The course allows you to participate fully in your studies. It will also enable you to know and understand the values and fundamental expectations of the university culture and proposing practical strategies to apply to your studies.
In this course, you will learn how to develop your communication skills with effective communication skills questionnaire to help you succeed in your university studies.
Enrolling in an English-speaking university, you should prepare yourself in advance especially in communication skills. In order to do that, you may give this online course a start and get yourself ready.
The course, created by The University of Sydney, equips you for full participation and engagement with your studies by building awareness and understanding of the core values and expectations of academic culture and providing you with practical strategies to apply to your studies.
You are the right type of participants if you are in or going to study in an English-medium university. To learn this course, you do not have to spend time traveling or dealing with traffic because this is an online course.
After this course, you will be able to:
- Recognize the importance of communication in communities of practice at university
- Understand contexts of communication at university and associated expectations
- Communicate clearly across a variety of different contexts and to a wide range of audiences by adapting communicative styles appropriately
- Demonstrate, negotiate, and further understanding through spoken, written, visual, and conversational modes
- Effectively formulate arguments and communicate research findings through the process of researching, composing, and editing
- Confidently engage in constructive and critical dialogue with respect and professionalism
The course will take 6 weeks! And it starts on May 13
- Introduction to Communication in Academic Culture
- Participating in University Discussion Contexts
- Interpreting, Researching & Planning Written Assignments
- Writing Effective & Concise Written Assignments
- Giving Persuasive & Engaging Presentations
- Summative Assignment
Can I learn new skills online for free?
You can level up your skills with numerous free online courses available in some platforms. Below are five free learning platforms that will teach you skills that are in high demand and will pay off!
- Khan Academy
- United Nations Institute for Training and Research.
Best free online certificate courses
The above-mentioned platforms also offer online certificate courses free to interested students. This is to help students who are not financially buoyant acquire certificates that can help boost their Resume and even help them get jobs in the world.
Here are some of the Best Free Online Courses With Certificates
- Lynda/ LinkedIn Learning (Largest Range Of Courses)
- Udemy (Great For Marketing/ Design)
- Alison (Great For IT, Science, Coding)
- Google Digital Garage (Best For Digital Marketing)
- Oxford Home Study (Great For Management)
- Openlearning (University Quality Learning)
Tips on how to improve my communication skills online
Apart from the free online courses , there are ways you can make your communication skills better online.
Don’t see it as a conversation.
In regular conversation, we use body language input to change our message, rhythm, sound, and accent in order to stay out of trouble. We don’t get this real-time feedback in e-mail or messaging.
Keep messages short.
A good e-mail or text should take only 15-30 seconds to read and understand. Try to have the entire message fit onto the first screen.
Set the right mood upfront.
Online communications have momentum. If you arrive on the wrong foot, you’re going to have a hard time connecting. The “Subject” line and the first three words of the note set the mood.
Understand the nature of the e-mails.
Using e-mail to compliment others will make them recall the kind words. Using e-mail to be critical is usually a bad idea because people will read the note many times.
Have your target in mind.
Establish a specific goal of how you want the reader to react to your note. For sensitive notes, write the objective down. When proofreading your note, check to see if your intended reaction is likely to happen. If not, reword the note.
Don’t take notes when you’re not yourself.
That sounds easy, but it’s a lot harder than the eye meets. Learn how to prevent this crisis.
Stop combat “online grenade.”
Don’t take a bait. Just don’t respond to the edgy note in kind. Change the location to make it more effective.
Why do I need a communication skill course?
Communication skill courses will help you to participate fully in your studies. It will also enable you to know and understand the values and fundamental expectations of the university culture and proposing practical strategies to apply to your studies.
Where can I get Communication skill course free?
You can access communication skill courses free on the following learning online platforms:
United Nations Institute for Training and Research.
This specialization aims to prepare students for undergraduate studies at an English-speaking university to upgrade communication skills for University Success.
- Effective Life Skills Curriculum For College Students In 2020 | SAMPLES
- Top 20 Mass Communication Scholarships 2020 for Undergraduate students
- Free Online Course on Evidence-Based Business Communication
- Erasmus International Masters Scholarships in Digital Communication Leadership 2020
- Rochester Institute of Technology Business Communication Program, New York