There will always be a need for Antivirus Softwares so long as computers have been and will be in existence. A computer without an antivirus is just like a house with an open door and can attract cybercriminals.
If you want to enjoy your computer without experiencing any form of data loss, crashes, or having to reformat your hard disk, then get antivirus software.
An antiviruses don’t only protect your computer from threats or harm, it gives a ray of bright light to your device in a world full of dark viruses.
Maybe you’re confused about which antivirus you should install on your computer, we have listed out the best in this article. These antiviruses are available for free downloads, others may require you to save up to afford them, but they are useful and necessary.
Table of Contents Hide
- What Are Antivirus?
- Why you need an Antivirus
- List of free antivirus for Students
- How Can I Download Free Antivirus for Students?
- Is it safe to use free antivirus?
- We Also Recommend:
What Are Antivirus?
Antivirus is a kind of software used to prevent, scan, detect and delete viruses from a computer. Once installed, most antivirus software runs automatically in the background to provide real-time protection against virus attacks. Antivirus offers additional protection such as customizable firewalls and website blocking.
A few people still don’t know how useful antiviruses are and how they get them for free. If you are one of them, worry no more, the answer is right here.
Why you need an Antivirus
Below are reasons installing antivirus on your computer should be encouraged.
- Anti-theft support
- Webcam protection
- Intuitive setup and UI
- Multi-platform support
- Banking-level encryption
- Low system requirements
- Advanced anti-malware protection
You cannot totally understand how needful antiviruses are until you get one. As you read further, you will discover the best antivirus you can download for free.
List of free antivirus for Students
Here are the best free antivirus software you should install on your device without having to break a bank.
- BullGuard Antivirus
- Emsisoft Anti-malware
- ESET’s Nod32
Kaspersky Internet Security is an ideal antivirus for students due to its excellent malware and ransomware detection. It is compatible with multiple versions of Windows.
This antivirus automatically scans emails and web pages for potential threats to Windows PCs and also rescue CD that can restart the PC after severe virus damage.
Another intriguing feature is the, Gamer mode- which works by suspending all notifications and virus scans when users play games that provide uninterrupted gameplay while allowing the computer to devote more resources to running the game.
Kaspersky Anti-Virus software comes with three licenses, unlike other antivirus software that comes with only one license-this means it can be used on different computers, giving users more protection for one price.
In addition, this software enables cross-platform compatibility, where users can purchase the mobile version and access it from the PC software platform.
Kaspersky has excellent customer support, including tutorials, FAQs, and live chat for technical support forums.
Avast is one of the best when it comes to free antivirus for students. As effective as many subscription antivirus programs are, Avast scans your entire system for malware and checks email threads, attachments, web pages, and downloads for malicious software.
Insecurity lab tests were able to detect 100% of Windows malware and 99.9% of malware targeting the Mac. The free version doesn’t include many of the features that paid programs offer, including the premium version of Avast, such as a firewall, ransomware shield, WiFi inspector, and more. That said, the free version of Avast is packed with features.
It is equipped with web and email protection and a secure browser, along with standard on-demand, real-time virus scans. In short, this free program provides enough protection for most people’s computer security needs.
Malwarebytes Free has the ability to knock out hard-to-remove malware that has crept past your usual defenses. But it is also not a traditional antivirus software as it does not provide real-time protection.
It is also designed to detect only active malware, so you can avoid inactive or non-threatening malware. So, as the main form of virus protection, Malwarebytes Free is not really a viable option. However, it is still a useful tool in case you do get infected. Think of Malwarebytes as the weapon for rent in the antivirus world – the specialist mercenary you bring in when the police haven’t done justice.
Bitdefender Antivirus Free essentially offers the full version of antivirus detection without the extra plugins. If your top priority is an effective virus scan, look no further as Bitdefender is one of the most effective out there. The scans are fast and effective.
Bitdefender claims to have a 100% detection rate, and independent tests have found efficiencies between 98% and 100%. The free version doesn’t add much else though, so if you’re looking for additional features, you should probably look elsewhere or consider paying a premium.
#5. BullGuard Antivirus
Another top-rated free antivirus for students is BullGuard Antivirus. It gives real-time malware and virus protection using a customization web filter.
BullGuard has a sleek user interface which makes it easy for students to access its full features. The antivirus has a feature called behavioral detection which helps in easy identification and removal of malicious software and malware.
BullGuard has excellent customer service support with a 24/7 telephone support line, live chats option is also available. you can chat with technical support representatives on problems encountered with the antivirus software.
The downside of this antivirus is that threat and non-threat files are automatically blocked, which leads to the blocking of good websites and contents.
#6. Emsisoft Anti-malware
Emsisoft Anti-malware is listed as one of the free antiviruses for students. It is an extremely powerful security software tool designed to run smoothly even on low spec PCs and laptops.
This antivirus software comes with a 50% discount for students and can play a critical role in protecting you against the myriad of online malware threats.
It is highly compatible with Windows 10 running on both x32 and x64 platforms. Offers real-time protection and blocks malware before it can be executed.
The Anti-Ransomware protection layer can prevent ransomware attacks by detecting their behavioral patterns. Meaning your files are safe from any attacks that may encrypt them.
In addition, surf protection was recently improved and this comes really useful for browsing securely. It warns you about many phishing sites when you try to access them.
The company offers a 50% educational rebate for Emsisoft Anti-Malware and you can apply on their website. Just ask for your student discount.
#7. ESET’s Nod32
ESET’s Nod32 is a popular antivirus for students most especially those with low specifications.
This software uses a cloud-based file detection service which allows easy and quick detection of new malware and virus. Its anti-phishing feature detects and blocks infected websites.
ESET’s Nod32 also gives protection against a wide range of malware including worms, viruses, Trojans, spyware, and ransomware.
The antivirus official website also has tons of instructional videos and an encyclopedia of solutions for various threats. Customer service support is 24/7. The telephone and live chat supported is available only on weekdays for 12 hours.
If you’re looking to get award-winning security malware on a tight budget, then VIPRE might be the best option for you.
VIPRE offers rock-solid protection against all emerging threats, including viruses, ransomware, Trojans, spyware, rootkits, and not only.
It’s also incredibly easy to use, not to mention that the Anti-threat Protection is part of the package too.
- Intuitive interface
- Real-time PC protection
- Scheduled scanning options
- Cloud-enabled security
- U.S.-based support
How Can I Download Free Antivirus for Students?
- Open the antivirus website on your browser.
- Click DOWNLOAD FREE PROTECTION. It’s a green button in the middle of the page. This will take you to the download page where the antivirus will select the correct file for your computer.
- On Mac, the button will say “FREE DOWNLOAD” instead. Then click the green “Download Now” button near the top of the page.
- Wait for the antivirus to begin downloading. Antivirus like Avast setup file should download automatically onto your computer after around five seconds on the download page.
- If the download doesn’t start after 30 seconds or so, click the restart to prompt it to download.
- Open the Antivirus setup file. Double-click the EXE file (Windows) or the DMG file (Mac). This will open the setup window.
- By default, downloads can be found in your computer’s “Downloads” folder.
- Follow the prompts to install the Antivirus. This process varies depending on whether you have a Windows or a Mac computer:
- On Windows: Click “Yes” when prompted, then click the green “INSTALL” button, and click “CONTINUE” twice when the installation is complete.
- On Mac: Double-click the “Avast Security” box icon, then click “Continue” twice, and click “Agree” when prompted. Click “Continue” again and enter your admin password (if prompted) then click “Install Software”. You may need to verify the installation before you can finish installing Avast.
- Open Antivirus. If it doesn’t open immediately after installing, double-click its icon on the Windows desktop. Alternatively, you can click the Start menu and type avast into Start, then click the “Free Antivirus” app icon in the Start menu.
- On Mac, open a new Finder window, click “Go” in the menu bar at the top, and then click Applications in the drop-down menu. Then double-click the app.
- On Mac, click the Scan tab.
- Click RUN SMART SCAN. Doing so will prompt the antivirus to begin scanning your computer for malware, viruses, and other threats.
- On Mac, click Start to the right of the “Full System Scan” heading.
- Wait for the scan to complete. Given that the antivirus scans your whole computer, the scan may take several minutes to several hours. If the antivirus encounters any threats, it will quarantine and/or remove them from your computer. Once the scan is complete, you can rest assured that your computer is free of malware.
- Open the Google Play Store Image titled Androidgoogleplay.png. Tap the Google Play Store app icon, which resembles a multicolored triangle on a white background. You’ll usually find this in the App Drawer.
- Tap the search bar. It’s at the top of the screen. Your Android’s on-screen keyboard should appear.
- Type in the antivirus you want. Doing so will prompt a list of results to appear in the drop-down menu below the search bar.
- Tap INSTALL. This green button is in the middle of the page.
- Tap ACCEPT when prompted. Doing so will cause the Antivirus app to begin installing onto your Android.
- Open antivirus. Tap OPEN in the Google Play Store, or tap the Antivirus app icon.
- Tap GET STARTED. It’s an orange button at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap START WITH BASIC SECURITY. Doing so will choose a free version of the Antivirus app.
- Tap Scan. It’s an orange button at the top of the screen. The antivirus will begin scanning your Android for potential threats.
- Wait for the scan to complete. This may take up to an hour. The antivirus will quarantine and/or remove any threats it encounters on your Android; once the scan is complete, your Android should be threat-free.
Is it safe to use free antivirus?
Although the use of free antivirus will protect you against common, known computer viruses, we can’t ignore the fact that these antiviruses can also lead to sad consequences if misused.
Free antiviruses may leave you vulnerable to yet-unknown threats. Paid anti-virus options give you greater control over your private data and increase protection around a sensitive online activity like banking.
There are many free antiviruses recommended for students, you will find the ones listed in this article very useful.
- windowsreport.com– 7 best antivirus for students
- tun.com– Best Free And Paid Antivirus Software For Students
- wikihow.com– How to Download and Install Avast! Free Antivirus
- verizon.com– Antivirus
We Also Recommend:
- 10 Tech Gadgets For College Students In 2021 | Very Needful
- How to Get an HP Student Discount Code in 2021 Fast
- Best Volunteer Opportunities for College Students
- 20 Best Tablets for College Students on a Budget |
- Killer Part-time Job Resume For College Students | Samples & Writing
- 20 Best College Students Checking Accounts
Does this article meet your immediate needs? if yes, please kindly share it with your friends. Also, do well to share your opinion in the comment section below.