FIFA is delighted to announce the availability of João Havelange Scholarship, awarded to researchers holding a university degree or equivalent in one of the following areas of study: Law, Economics, Sociology, Ethics, Geography, History and Medicine. This scholarships by FIFA is line with their commitment to support and promote football-related academic research
About the Award: The scholarship was set up by former FIFA President, Mr. Joseph S. Blatter, in honour of his predecessor President, Dr. João Havelange, who stepped down from his role in 1998. The CIES manages on behalf of FIFA the evaluation and awarding of scholarships through a Selection Committee composed of academics specialised in the field.
The scholarships are intended to encourage and facilitate the work of researchers who have completed their studies and have been awarded a university diploma, bachelor’s degree, state examination, doctorate or an equivalent degree.
The research shall be conducted in an academic environment (i.e. supervised by a professor, lecturer or academic). Upon request by the candidate, the research may be conducted under the supervision of the International Centre for Sports Studies (CIES) at Neuchâtel University
Application Deadline: 1st September, 2017
Offered Annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: International
To Be Taken At (Country): International Centre for Sports Studies (CIES) at Neuchâtel University, Switzerland
Fields of Research: Law, Economics, Sociology, Ethics, Geography, History and Medicine.
- Applications may be made as a group; in such cases, the group of researchers shall designate one person to act as the project leader before the Selection Committee. This person shall assume the responsibility for all the obligations stipulated in these regulations.
- Only one application per person per year may be submitted to the committee.
- Multiple applications per applicant will not be accepted.
- Applicants may apply for the João Havelange Research Scholarship repeatedly; however, applications with identical research topics (which have been refused in the previous year) will not be accepted.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: The maximum possible amount for one scholarship award is USD 30,000
Duration of Program: Duration of degree
How to Apply: The applicant(s) shall fill in the form and return it, duly completed, to CIES with the following documents (in this order, please do not fold or staple the sheets):
- Research plan (maximum 7 pages)
- List of prior publications and research work
- Curriculum vitae
- Copy of passport
- Detailed budget in US Dollars (maximum USD 30’000.-)
- Certified copies of academic qualifications (diploma, degree, doctorate, etc.)
- Recommendation letters from two professors
- Certification of language proficiency (e.g. copies of language course diplomas) if mother tongue is not one of the official FIFA languages (English, French, Spanish or German)
Award Providers: Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA)