Freedom from Religion Foundation sponsors William J. Schulz High School Essay Competition with cash awards. This scholarship contest is open to North American high school seniors who graduate in spring 2018, going on to college in fall 2018. The contest is intended to promote the constitutional principle of separation of state and church and to educate the public on matters relating to nontheism. Total $7,850 award amount will be distributed by FFRF to the winning candidates according to their winning place.
Freedom from Religion Foundation (FFRF) is a non-profit, educational organization was incorporated in 1978 in Wisconsin. The Foundation is a national membership association of approximately 23,000 freethinkers: atheists, agnostics, and skeptics of any pedigree.The purposes of the Freedom From Religion Foundation, Inc., as stated in its bylaws, are to promote the constitutional principle of separation of state and church, and to educate the public on matters relating to nontheism.
To be applying applicants should be North American high school seniors who graduate in spring 2017, going on to college in fall 2017.
How to Apply:
- Applicants can download the application for through the given link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/QBHT9XG
- For applying, candidates must write a 350-500 words essay and the essay topic for this year “If there was one thing I could tell my family or a believer about why I’m a nonbeliever, this would be it.” The essay must be typed, double-spaced, standard margins, the font size of 11 or 12 points, and attached as a PDF.
Financial Aid and Award Money:
- Award amount are as follows:
- First Place Award: $3,000
- Second Place Award: $2,000
- Third Place Award: $1,000
- Fourth Place Award: $750
- Fifth Place Award: $500
- Sixth Place Award: $400
- Optional Honorable Mention(s): $200
- In addition to their scholarship, winners will receive a school-year membership to FFRF, which includes a subscription to Freethought Today. All other eligible entrants will be offered the choice of a student FFRF membership and Freethought Today subscription, or a freethought book or product.
Fill out an application and submit your essay no later than midnight, June Annually
Link for More Information:
If you have any questions or concerns, please email FFRF at ltreu-at-ffrf.org or call (608)256-8900.