The European Commission in the quest to fulfil her mandate is in search for 16 extraordinary young people (aged 21-26) from across the world, with proven commitment and community engagement, to represent the work and impact on development achieved by youth. Young people are ‘movers and shakers’ in their communities and countries, and are key to solving the universal challenges outlined in the EDD 2017 programme.
To be taken at (country): Brussels, Belgium
About the Award: Youth are a driving force behind some of the most inspiring development projects. At EDD 2017, youth will have their voices heard in policy discussions that will shape our future. The 16 selected Young Leaders will share their views and experiences in the high-level debates of the forum, alongside world leaders and other change-makers in the development field.
The meaningful participation of children and youth is mandated by global and European policy commitments, including the right to express their views freely on all matters affecting them, for their opinion to be heard and taken seriously, and a role in decision-making. Youth inclusion leads to an innovative and more inclusive development. The empowerment of young people contributes to build responsible citizenship, which helps shaping democratic societies and good governance, which are high priorities for the EU. Motivating young people will ensure a long-term commitment to development, which can help increase ownership, accountability and innovation in their countries.
Type: Events and Conferences
- Applicants must be between 21 and 26 at the time of the forum (7-8 June 2017).
- Applications are open to young adults from all around the world, without restriction of nationality.
- Applications must be submitted in one of the following official European Commission languages: English / French / Spanish. The candidate must be able to speak clearly and comprehensively in one of these languages, as well as have a mandatory intermediate level of English.
- Applicants must be able to travel to and participate in EDD 2017 in Brussels (Belgium) from 31 May to 10 June 2017.
Selection Criteria: We will evaluate your application based on three criteria:
- 40% Your knowledge of your chosen topic and the relevance of your active engagement. We encourage candidates to show how their activities have had an impact on the community.
- 30% Your role as a representative of an organisation, other youth or community, and your leadership experience or potential.
- 30% Your public speaking skills and ability to speak at a high-level panel.
Number of Awardees: 16
Value of Program: The 16 selected Young Leaders will be invited to Brussels, Belgium, and all expenses (Visa, travel, accommodation) will be covered by the European Commission.
During their visit to Brussels, Young Leaders get the chance to visit European institutions, participate in workshops, meet key policymakers and interact with other young people driving change around the world. They will speak at various sessions and enjoy full access to the whole conference. Travel and accommodation is covered by the European Commission.
Duration of Program: 7-8 JUNE 2017
How to Apply: You will find the application form and instructions for applying on the Program Webpage. Don’t forget that you should submit a completed form before Thursday 9 March 2017 at 1pm (Central European Time)!
You will be applying to speak at one of the EDD 2017 Auditorium sessions, according to the topic of the panel. To complete the form, you must select at least one EDD topic that you wish to speak about. You must feel comfortable and knowledgeable about the topics of your choice and they must relate closely to your interests and expertise.
Please explore the 16 EDD 2017 topics in the ‘About EDD 2017’ page of the website.
Application Deadline: 9th March 2017 at 1pm CET (Central European Time).
Eligible Countries: All
Award Provider: European Commission
Important Notes: Note that you will be required to create a profile on the website before starting the application. Don’t forget to tick the box “I want to apply for the Young Leaders Programme” when you create your profile.