The European Union Delegation to Canada and the Canadian Association of Journalists (CAJ) are inviting applications for the 2017 edition of the European Union-Canada Young Journalist Fellowship. The EU-Canada Young Journalist Fellowship aims to recognize outstanding journalistic talent among young Canadians. Since 2001, three candidates have been selected every year to participate in a week-long study tour to experience the EU institutions, the Canadian Mission to the EU, and media outlets in Brussels. Winners will also attend the daily European Commission press briefing.
- All expenses are paid for by the European Union Delegation to Canada.
Participants must be:
- Actively enrolled in a Canadian university/post-secondary institution or active in the field of journalism;
- Between the ages 18-30;
- Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
The following are required for a complete application:
- Sample of work
- Applicants are invited to submit a sample of their work, in English or French (recently published or unpublished), focusing on an issue of relevance pertaining to the European Union or European Union-Canada relations.
- In terms of format, the work may be either written (a news story or opinion piece of maximum 1,000 words, recently published or unpublished) or audio-visual (a report of up to 90 seconds duration, previously aired or not).
- The jury will pay particular attention to journalistic qualities and talent, including rigorous research and factual accuracy.
- Letter of motivation
- Applicants must write a letter of motivation clearly outlining specific topics they plan to write about during/upon return from Europe and where their work will appear (media outlet, social media, blog etc.)
- Winners will have complete editorial independence and, while the Delegation and the Canadian Association of Journalists will retain the right to publish/reproduce their work to promote the program in future years, applicants will maintain intellectual property rights of their work.
- The letter should also include the reasons for applying and the anticipated benefits to be derived from participation in the study trip.
- Curriculum vitae
- Proof of Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status
Applications are to be sent either by e-mail to or by mail to the following address:
Delegation of the European Union to Canada
Ref.: EU-Canada Young Journalist Fellowship
150 Metcalfe Street, Suite 1900
Ottawa, Ontario K2P 1P1
Please note that incomplete applications, i.e. applications not containing all of the above documents submitted at the same time, will not be considered. For audio-visual entries, please send online link by e-mail or USB by mail with the application.
Deadline: May 1, 2017