The Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) is delighted to offer the prestigious Research Software Engineer Fellowships to study at any UK University. Applicants of all nationalities are eligible to apply for these scholarships.
The RSE Fellowship describes exceptional individuals in the software field who demonstrate leadership and have combined expertise in programming and a solid knowledge of the research environment.
The Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) is the UK’s main agency for funding research in engineering and the physical sciences. EPSRC invests around £800 million a year in research and postgraduate training, to help the nation handle the next generation of technological change.
Course Level: Fellowships are available to pursue research.
Study Subject: Fellowships are awarded in the field of Software Engineering.
Scholarship Award: Funding of up to £4m is available for this call.
Number of Scholarships: EPSRC expects to fund 4 – 8 Fellows.
Scholarship can be taken in the UK
Eligibility: The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
- Applicants are expected to hold a PhD by the start date of the fellowship or have equivalent experience. There are no eligibility rules based on years of postdoctoral experience or whether the applicant holds a permanent academic position.
- Consideration will be given to applicants who have taken a non-standard career path after their primary degree. Applications are also welcomed from candidates who wish to re-establish themselves after a career break or other period of absence from active research.
- There are no nationality restrictions imposed by EPSRC.
- EPSRC reserves the right to reject, at any stage, applications that do not fit the remit, eligibility or ethos of this scheme.
- Please note you may only apply for one EPSRC fellowship in any 12 month period so please consider carefully when you choose to submit your application. For information on the eligibility of organisations and individuals to receive EPSRC funding, see the EPSRC Funding Guide: http://www.epsrc.ac.uk/funding/howtoapply/fundingguide/
- Fellowships can be held at any UK university or similar Higher Education Institution (HEI) that is eligible for Research Council funding, however they cannot be held at Research Council Institutes. Only 2 applications per institution or university are allowed.
- The EPSRC is keen to encourage a broad geographic network of RSE provision. Applicants proposing to hold the Fellowship at host institutions that already host RSE Fellows should provide compelling justification as to how they would complement the existing Fellow(s), and how they would engage in networking or related activities to ensure that the EPSRC’s aim of a broad national RSE provision is realized.
Nationality: Applicants of all nationalities are eligible to apply for these scholarships.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Applicants are expected to hold a PhD by the start date of the fellowship or have equivalent experience.
English language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
How to Apply: A two-stage application process will be used.
- Stage 1 Outline proposal – application details are described below.
- Stage 2 Full proposals – application details are described below. Only successful applicants at the outline stage will be invited to submit an application to the full proposal stage. No other applications will be accepted. Any unsolicited applications will be rejected.
This should include:
- Your current contact details.
- Your employment history, listed in reverse order. Please start with your current employment and make sure that the title of your current post is clear.
- Your academic history, listed in reverse order. The dates of any degrees obtained and the viva date for your PhD should be stated.
- Track record of research funding.
- Any current teaching commitments.
- Any current administrative activities: examples may include editorial responsibilities, committee membership etc.
- Other: examples may include invited talks, awards, prizes, memberships of professional bodies etc.
Application Deadline: Fellowship application deadline is June 8, 2017.