Applications are currently been submitted for the 2018 EDCTP-TDR Clinical Research and Development Fellowships, all applications are to be submitted before the deadline .
The purpose of this EDCTP-TDR Clinical Research and Development Fellowships Joint Call for Proposals is to support researchers and key members of clinical trial research teams from Low and Middle Income Countries (LMICs) to acquire specific skills in clinical research and development through placements in pharmaceutical companies, product development partnerships (PDPs) and research institutions.
Level: Fellowships are available to early to mid-career clinical researchers and key members of clinical trial research teams to acquire experience and develop skills for conducting and implementing clinical trials outside an academic or public sector setting.
Field(s): EDCTP-TDR Clinical Research and Development Fellowships are awarded to acquire specific skills in clinical research and development through placements in pharmaceutical companies, product development partnerships (PDPs) and research institutions.
School(InstitutScholarship covers: The EDCTP-TDR Clinical Research and Development Fellowships grant covers one economy class return ticket (home – host organisation – home); a monthly stipend; health insurance; an allowance to cover essential educational support materials; support to attend relevant meetings during the course of the fellowship; and funds to support the six month reintegration period.ions/ Country): | WHO/TDR placement in Europe or outside Europe and EDCTP placement in Europe
Funded By: European & Developing Countries Clinical Trials Partnership (EDCTP) and WHO/TDR
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): EDCTP-TDR Clinical Research and Development Fellowships are targeted for Researchers from low- and middle-income countries (Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, American Samoa, Angola, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Belarus, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde (Capo Verde), Central African Republic, Chad, China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Dem. Rep., Congo, Rep., Costa Rica, Côte d’Ivoire, Cuba, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, Arab Rep., El Salvador, Eritrea, Ethiopia , Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, The Georgia, Ghana, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Islamic Rep., Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya , Kiribati, Korea, Dem Rep., Kosovo, Kyrgyz Republic, Lao PDR, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Macedonia, FYR, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Fed. Sts., Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea,
|Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Romania, Rwanda, Samoa, São Tomé and Principe, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sri Lanka, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Syrian Arab Republic, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tonga, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine,
Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, RB, Vietnam, West Bank and Gaza, Yemen, Rep., Zambia and Zimbabwe) and sub-Saharan Africa (Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo (Brazzaville), Congo (Democratic Republic), Ivory Coast, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa , South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzanian , Togo, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe ) can apply for these clinical fellowships.
At the deadline for the submission of proposals for this EDCTP-TDR Clinical Research and Development Fellowships , the fellow must
- Be a post-graduate (MSc or PhD) or medical graduate with clinical and/or research experience in infectious diseases
- Have obtained their first degree within 15 years of submission of the application
- Have been a researcher or clinical staff member employed for the last 12 months in an organisation with a registered legal entity in sub-Saharan Africa, conducting clinical research activities in the scope of the EDCTP2 and WHO/TDR programme.
- For EDCTP: The applicant must be a legal entity established in sub-Saharan Africa and must be the home organisation employing the fellow
- For WHO/TDR: The fellow must be a national or citizen, and resident in a LMIC
- Selection Criteria for EDCTP-TDR Clinical Research and Development Fellowships
- The evaluation committee will evaluate and score proposals against three criteria: ‘excellence’, ‘impact’ and ‘quality and efficiency of the implementation’.
- The evaluation committee gives evaluation scores to each criterion. Each criterion will be scored between 0 and 5.
- The overall threshold applying to the sum of the three individual scores will be 10. For full applications involving re-integration plan projects with human participants, and/or human tissues, cells or personal data, the evaluation process will include an assessment of ethical issues.
Scholarship Application Method
- The application must be submitted online via EDCTPgrants.
- Only registered users of EDCTPgrants system can apply for grants and therefore you are advised to register on the system as soon as possible.
‣ Scholarship Application Due Date : 2 February 2017, 17:00
Procedure and application process
Submission and evaluation procedure
This is a single-stage application procedure. Proposals must be submitted by 28 February 2018 via EDCTPgrants. Evaluation results of the first stage are expected to be made available by 31 July 2018.
Proposals should comprise of a proposed training plan reflecting the training needs of the applicant, a re-integration plan and the requested EDCTP contribution for the action. The full proposal will be reviewed by an independent evaluation committee comprising experts jointly identified by the EDCTP2-IS.
Evaluation, scoring and thresholds
Following the check of admissibility and eligibility conditions, the full proposals are evaluated by external, independent experts. Proposals are evaluated according to the criteria Excellence, Impact and Implementation. Each criterion is scored between 0 and 5.
The following aspects are considered under the evaluation criteria:
- Fit with the scope and objectives of the EDCTP2 Programme, the EDCTP strategic research agenda and the call topic description.
- Importance, relevance/pertinence and clarity of the objectives.
- Soundness of the concept and credibility of the proposed approach/methodology.
- Suitability of the candidate, considering their track record, degree of independence and/or potential, and how the fellowship will further the individual’s career.
- Quality of the project and its fit with the fellow’s expertise and career development plan, including acquired competencies and skills to be developed further.
- The extent to which the outputs of the proposed work would contribute, at the European, African and/or international level, to each of the expected impacts listed in the work plan under the relevant topic.
- Likelihood to result in major advances in the field.
- Contribution of the fellowship to the fellow’s clinical research skills and career development.
- Contribution to strengthening clinical research capacity at the home or host organisation.
- Effectiveness of the proposed measures to exploit and disseminate results generated during the fellowship (including management of IPR), to communicate the fellowship activities, and, where relevant, to manage clinical data.
- Sustainability and retention of capacity post-award.
3. Quality and efficiency of the implementation
- Quality and effectiveness of the work plan, including extent to which the resources assigned to work packages are in line with their objectives and deliverables;
- Appropriateness of the management structures and procedures, including risk and innovation management, and how responsibilities for research data quality and sharing, and security will be met.
- Complementarity of the participants within the consortium, and the extent to which the consortium as whole brings together the necessary expertise.
- Appropriateness of the allocation of tasks and resources, ensuring that all participants have a valid role and adequate resources in the project to fulfil that role.
- Feasibility and appropriateness of the methods and project management to achieve the objectives within the timeframe of the grant.
- Compliance with national and international standards of research, Good Clinical Practice, ethics- and safety-related issues.
- Participants have the operational capacity, to carry out the proposed work, based on the competence and experience of the individual participant(s).
- Suitability of the fellow’s home organisation to support the fellowship project.
- Intention of the fellow’s home organisation to develop and commit to a career post-fellowship or re-integration plan.
Scoring will be in line with section 6.7.2 of the 2017 Work Plan.
Proposals above the threshold will be forwarded to prospective host organisations listed in the Call for Proposals. Host organisations interested in hosting a fellow will select up to five candidates for interview. Interviews are held between the potential host organisation, the candidate and the home organisation, following which a matching process of candidates and host organisations is conducted by EDCTP.
The call budget is 1.5 million EUR.
The requested EDCTP contribution per project should not exceed 100,000 EUR. The funding level is up to 100% of eligible costs.
The legal entity employing the successful fellow (‘host organisation’) is required to sign a grant agreement with EDCTP (EDCTP2 mono-beneficiary grant agreement with options for fellowships) within three months of receipt of the evaluation outcome letter.
Prior to the conclusion of the EDCTP2 grant agreement, the fellow will be required to sign a letter of engagement with their home organisation.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.