SEARCH FOR ANY SCHOLARSHIP HERE
The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) which is the government-owned organization charged with the task of conducting the examination, result-coalition and admission process of candidates into Nigerian higher institutions of learning, has introduced a new method of admission and result checking process which as an automated software that programs that admission criteria for UTME candidates.
This software is referred to as Central Admission Processing System (CAPS) and it was designed to promote credibility and transparency in admission process by totally eliminating human interference in the admission process.
The admission requirements are to be imputed into the software and it will in turn blindly select candidates who meet the requirements of certain institutions and place them there without any primordial consideration.”
In this piece, we have prepared the necessary detailed information you need to know about JAMB CAPS and JAMB as an entity.
What do I know about Jamb
The general national entrance examination into the institution is prepared, coordinated and conducted by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board in Nigeria and they inform universities of applicant scores before the specific university entrance examination called Post Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (P-UTME) or popularly known as Aptitude test.
This screening test plays a big role in determining whether the candidate is qualified for admission into a particular course or not. In most cases, the applicant may be offered admission into a course other than his choice if he doesn’t meet the required scores in P-UTME. This is strictly based on the prerogative of the institution.
Know about Tertiary Education in Nigeria
Nigeria has the largest university system in Sub-Saharan Africa. Although South Africa’s tertiary enrolments are a bit higher, Nigeria has more number of institutions. With about 48 state and federal universities enrolling over 400,000 students, the university system in Nigeria supports a large number of graduate programs and serves as an attraction for students from neighbouring countries especially African nations.
The system utilizes most of the nation’s research capacity and churn out more of its skilled and talented professional. The responsibility for quality and effective education and all its related matters, falls on the shoulders of the Federal Ministry of Education.
However, the administration and supervision of the activities of the higher institutions in Nigeria is the responsibility of the National Universities Commission (NUC) a parastatal buffer body.
What you need to Know about JAMB CAPS.
The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) Central Admission Processing System (CAPS) is geared towards ensuring quality control, transparency and credibility of the admission process.
CAPS is the Step-by-Step process-flow of the Admission Exercise for the education and information of general public and the stakeholders, particularly the Candidates.
CAPS is expected to make provision for a ‘market place’ in the JAMB portal where institutions can go and ‘request for students in Nigeria who score their cut off points.’
The system is such that institutions can only admit those who meet their cut off points. If a candidate fails to meet the cut off mark, that student would certainly be denied admission irrespective of the candidate’s connection.
JAMB introduced new admission method which will begin in the year 2017. The process is called Jamb Central Admission Processing System (CAPS). It is through Jamb CAPS you can check and accept Jamb 2018 admission. Now, you may be wondering, how do I accept admission using Jamb CAPS? Your answer is right in this article.
Why JAMB CAPS?
Due to the current challenges in Nigerian educational section with respect to conducting of admission process for prospective students into tertiary institutions, the JAMB CAPS was introduced to handle the existing admission challenges by bringing to play;
- Addresses Current Challenges
- Delivers Benefits of Automation
- Offers Significant Innovations
How to Check Jamb Admission Status Online
- Ensure you have active data bundle.
- Open your favourite browser (Preferably, Google Chrome).
- Visit the jamb caps admission checking portal using this link http://caps.jamb.gov.ng/acceptadmission.aspx. IF the first link does not work for you, use this one http://caps.jamb.gov.ng/app_candidates/candidateprofile.aspx
- Login with the credentials (email and password) you created your jamb account with.
- After successfully login, you’ll see CAPS option in the Jamb menu. Click on it and you’ll be taken to the CAPS page.
- Better still, scroll to check DE/UTME admission status while you are logged in to your Jamb profile.
- If the page only shows ‘welcome’, do not be discouraged. Just click on options on your mobile’s browser and change the view of the page to ‘desktop view’. This is why it’s preferably to use a Computer.
- You’ll see some options listed at the left-hand side. Click on ‘Admission Status’.
- Your details including Jamb score, institution, date of birth, etc will appear when you have successfully logged in to Jamb caps portal.
- If you’ve been admitted, you can either ‘Accept admission’ or ‘Reject admission’. If the institution and course space is blank or you have not been offered admission then don’t click on accept admission. Just keep checking back.
Be very careful not to accept admission when you are not offered (or when you have hope of gaining admission in a better school).
Once you accept the admission offered you then your admission door is closed for that year.
On the other hand, if you see welcome while you click on CAPS, don’t be annoyed. Just use desktop version to see the menu and then click on check admission status (Click on the three dots on Google Chrome and scroll down to see desktop site).
Option 2 Way to Check Jamb Admission Status:
- Visit Jamb admission status checker using the link here.
- Ensure you still remember the email and password you used to create Jamb account earlier.
- Login to your Jamb profile with your username and password.
- If you are getting the issue of invalid pin click here.
- If you successfully login, your Jamb candidates’ dashboard (Home) will appear.
- Scroll down to where you will see check admission status.
- Click on Check Admission Status Menu.
- You may be required to enter your examination year and Jamb registration number; else, your admission status for the current year will appear.
- If you are admitted, go ahead to print your Jamb admission letter.
- If it says No admission given yet, check back again as other batches of admission list will be released.
HOW TO ACCESS JAMB CAPS PORTAL
Like I have said earlier, you can use Jamb CAPS portal to check your admission status and also accept it. Now, how do I access Jamb CAPS portal? See it below.
Visit Jamb efacility login portal by clicking http://www.jamb.org.ng/efacility (preferably with a PC)
Enter your Email address and Password to access your portal
Click on the Option tab at the top right corner (4 parallel horizontal lines)
From the list of drop down Menu, click on CAPS under Admissions
If you only see Welcome, try to use a PC to access the portal. If you want to use Android phones, use browsers like Chrome or Firefox. Then, request for the desktop site from the list of options in Chrome or Firefox.
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO ALL CANDIDATES – Before checking Jamb CAPS portal, there are some facts you need to know about it. See them below
- If you have been offered an admission, your portal will read, “admitted” and you’re to accept the offer of admission, You’re not expected to accept until you’ve been offered admission
- If your portal reads “recommended“, it means a candidate is opened to other institutions
- You’re not expected to accept If your portal reads “not admitted“, anyone who does that do it at his/her risk.
- If your portal read “admission in progress, check back later“, it means your school is yet to release admission list.
- You are not advised to use the CAPS portal until your school of choice has released the admission list.
- Once you accept an admission offer, it cannot be reverted.
- If your admission status or other details is blank or shows “-“, don’t worry. Jamb is still uploading the details, so just keep checking.
- If your Jamb portal reads “approved“, it means Jamb has approved your admission and you have been admitted.
How to Check Admission Status – Full Process.
- Ensure you have active data bundle.
- Open your favourite browser but I will advice you not to use Opera Mini.
- 4. Caps Central admission portal home page will open.
- Enter your Jamb registration number in the space where you will see UTME Registration Number.
Click on the submit button.
How do I print my JAMB result notification/slip?
- You shall be required to create a profile via the Sign Up (New User) Page if you are a new user. For existing users, simply type in your login details. To create your profile, you will provide your valid email address, surname, first name, Mobile No, State and LGA of Origin and password, then click on the Sign Up button. Each candidate is entitled to only one profile.
- Subsequently, you shall use your email address and password to sign in.
- Once logged in, you will be taken to the landing page where you will see all available services.
- Select “Print Result Slip”. This is available on the side bar or on the Home page.
- Once you select this service, a Transaction ID is generated for this service. This will be displayed on the confirmation page screen.
- Review the details displayed on the Confirmation Page. Also, note the Transaction ID displayed in a bold red font. The Transaction ID is useful for all future references concerning the Transaction. A copy of this transaction ID will be sent to your registered email address.
- Click on the Continue button if you wish to pay with your card immediately. If you wish to use other payment channels like ATM, Cash at the Bank or Quickteller, please note the transaction ID as it will be required.
- On the Interswitch Payment page, enter your card details and click on the Pay button.
- The status of your payment will be displayed on the “My Payment Section”. An SMS and email containing your unique Transaction Identification and payment status will be sent to you after payment. Click on the Continue button.
- Once payment is completed, you will be asked to provide the following:
- Year of Exam and
- JAMB Registration Number.
After entering the information correctly, you can now print the Result Slip as shown on your screen.
How reprint JAMB Exam Slip.
Reprinting of JAMB registration slip is quite easy. All you would be required to print your JAMB exam slip that reflects your examination schedule is your registration number. Follow the steps outlined below for the process:
- Go to JAMB UTME e-slip printing page at www.jamb.org.ng/efacility/PrintExaminationSlip
- Supply your JAMB Registration Number or Email address in the appropriate column.
- Finally, click on ‘Print Examination Slip’ to access your exam schedule.
How do I check my JAMB Result with my registration number?
The Jamb UTME Results are released in batches which mean the entire results of all the prospective students are not brought out at the same time. All candidates that used valid phone numbers during their 2018 Jamb UTME Registration will get a SMS showing their Jamb 2018 scores.
There’s also an option for candidates who did not receive their result via text message from JAMB. Candidates who got the text would also need to print the result via the online portal.
The Requirements needed to Check Jamb 2018 Result are.
Your PIN and Your Serial Number or Registration Number.
To check the Jamb UTME result online, follow the steps outlined below;
- Visit JAMB 2018 result checking portal at http://jamb.org.ng;
- Log into your Jamb Profile with (email and password);
- Hit the ‘Check 2018 UTME Examination Results’ Banner Link on your Profile Page
- Your result would automatically pop up.
JAMB Original Result Slip Printing
The Original JAMB result slip is an official document you will likely need to during your admission screening exercise and other admission matters.
How important is this Original JAMB Result?
The JAMB UTME Result Slip is very important as it is usually required if;
- You are going for Admission Screening for your school of choice. It is usually a required document to be submitted on the screening exam day.
- You want to start your registration process for the school you are admitted into. Your school will ask for this document as a requirement (To verify your JAMB Score) for a successful registration.
- You want to push for your admission into your school of choice either through supplementary or other admission lists.
- You are already a student and your school requests for the document for processing anything
- You want to confirm your final score.
Please note that the original Jamb Result Slip has your passport photograph embedded on it. If you have a result slip without your passport, it may be declined by your school of choice.
The process of printing your JAMB original Result Slip is very easy. This means you can actually do it yourself.
How to Print Your 2018 JAMB Original Result Slip
- Login to your Jamb Account at jamb.org.ng/efacility. Note: Do not login with another person’s account unless you are printing for that person.
- Under the list of services, Click on the “Print Result Slip”
- On the next page that appears, click “continue with payment” to make payment via Remita or other options available
If the payment is successful, your JAMB Original result slip will be displayed and you can proceed to print it immediately. It will equally be sent to your email address in case you prefer to print it later.
Important tips to Note
- The cost for the printing of the JAMB Original Result Slip is One Thousand Naira (N 1000).
- The JAMB Original Result Slip must bear you passport photograph on it.
- You will no longer be buying scratch card to check your results.
- Keep away from fake Jamb officials, who claims and promise to change and upgrade your JAMB score.
- JAMB will never collect money from students in other to rank them higher than other students.
- Make sure you have the full details of the school you are about to enter before travelling there.
- You can check Jamb results on your Computer, Desktop, Laptop, Netbooks and Notepads, IPads and other high tech browsing devices.
What are the Current Challenges of JAMB CAPS?
So far since the inception of JAMB CAPS to bring a new facilitation of admission process in Nigerian higher institutions, certain progress has been recorded. However, the following factors have been perceived as its current challenges and shortcomings;
- Undermining Autonomy of Institutions
- Manual Process Prone to Errors
- Laborious and Inefficient
- Multiple Admissions for Candidates
- Constrains Admissions Opportunities
- Lack of Timely Information for Decision Making
- Insufficiency of Easily Retrievable Data for Research & Planning
What are the Advantages of JAMB CAPS
JAMB CAPS is new system that has been instituted to combat the challenges and hitches besieging the JAMB system. It is expected to yield certain great results by the time its fully enshrined. These advantages include;
- Restores Autonomy of Institutions
- Protects Academic Calendar
- Refocuses JAMB’s founding Ideals as Clearing House
- Expands Admission Opportunities for Candidates
- Provides Credible and Easily Retrievable Data for Researching & Planning on Education Sector
- Access to Data for Research Purposes ~ See Jamb Brochure
- Enhances Inclusiveness, Equity, Transparency & Accountability in the Admission Process
More Benefits of JAMB CAPS includes;
- Efficient Use of Time and Resources
- Automation Minimises Human Errors
- Eliminates Multiple Admissions
- Significantly reduces Attrition Rate
- Enforces Respect for Internal Rules & Discourages Arbitrariness
- Provides for Instant Admission
- Makes Candidates the Central Focus
Some Innovations included in the new system which the candidates will encounter in the new JAMB CAPS are follows;
- O/L Results Upload, Requirement for Admission Consideration
- Interface with NECO & WAEC for automated Results Verification
- Candidates’ Confirmation of Admission Offer
- “Market Place” to Source Candidates
- Automatic Enforcement of Admission Timelines.
How to Create & Login to JAMB CAPS Profile
- To begin login in the Portal or http://caps.jamb.gov.ng/app_candidates/candidateprofile.aspx
- On the page, type in your valid email address and confirm your email address by retyping it.
- Select your security question and type in your answer.
- Confirm your security question answer by retyping it.
- Click on the Verify e-Mail button to proceed.
- A message will be sent to your email address containing a verification link.
- Login to your email account and click on the verification link.
- On the next page that shows up, type in your personal details in the fields provided, when done click on, the signup button.
- If successful you will get this message “Your JAMB CAPS Account Creation Was Successful. Proceed to Login” click on the button proceed to login.
Facts to note about JAMB CAPS Admission
- Below are some important facts about JAMB CAPS you should know;
- – Note that once you accept an admission, it can’t be reversed. – If you reject the admission, your profile and details becomes available in the market place for other institutions that can accept the qualification you have for the course you intend to study to offer you admission.
- – Scoring higher than the cut-off mark does not guarantee admission but makes the candidate eligible for admission consideration. It is not UTME that qualifies the person. It is O level, A level that qualifies a person for admission.
- – Also only candidates who meet the O’ level and A’ level requirements and other criteria set by institutions would be offered admission in 2018/2019.
- – JAMB will not tolerate illegal admissions by any higher institution and students admitted illegally won’t be regularised anymore.
What are the processes that are observed in conducting Admission Process?
For the past years, JAMB as an entity has observed certain processes while conducting the placement of candidates according to the performance in the exams. Below are the process that are observed; Policy Meeting
- User Profiles Creation on the System
- Admission Parameters Setting on the System
- Candidates Download by Institutions
- Internal Processing by Institutions / Including Post UTME Screening
- Upload of Post UTME Screening Results
- Further Processing by Institutions ~ jamb news 2018
- Systems Creating Suggested Admission List Based on the Institution’s Admission Criteria
- Admission Officer Preparing Proposed List for Head of Institution’s Review and Approval
- Institution Forwards Recommended List to JAMB Desk Officer
- Desk Officer Processes Recommended List and Generates List of Provisional Admissions
- JAMB Contacts Candidates to Accept or Decline Admission
- If Candidate Accepts, Admission is concluded for Candidate
- If Candidate Declines, s(he) is returned to Market Place for Possible Consideration by Other Institutions
Actors, Roles & Responsibilities
As you prepare and hold high expectations as a prospective students or admission seeker, it is great that you are acquainted to the various hands that come to bear in the processing of your JAMB results and their roles;
- JAMB Conducts UTME and Makes Results Available to Institutions
- Institutions Set Admission Criteria on the System
- Admission Officer Downloads Candidates, Coordinates Internal Admission Process and Uploads Aggregate Results
- Head of Institution Approves and Forwards Recommended List to JAMB
- JAMB Approves List of Provisional Admissions and Contacts Candidates
- Candidate Accepts or Declines Admission
What the major Challenges, Risks and Mitigants.
In the conducting of the process, JAMB is concerned with the following challenge, risks and mitigants as major factors that affect effectiveness of it as an organization.
- Secure Technology
- Strong User Authentication
- Confidential & Individual Log-in Profile
- Comprehensive Audit Trail of ALL activities
- Inputs from & Collaboration with Stakeholders (Admission Officers, Desk Officers & IT CAPS Team)
- Agile Development Approach
- Dual Mode (2017 / 2018) Session
- Knowledge / Capacity Gaps
- Capacity Building
- Comprehensive User Guide (Printed and Online)
- Intuitive User Interface / Ease of Use
- Parameters Setting to guide operations
- Help Desk / Ticketing System for Support
- Information & Awareness for ALL Stakeholders ~ Jamb 2018 Syllabus
- Technology Challenge
- Simple but yet Cost Effective & Secure Technology
- Offline Processing Capability by Institutions
- Ease of Installing Updates & Upgrades
As the challenges exist, it is worthy to note that certain things will act as Critical Success Factors if fully brought to bear. These include;
- Ownership of the System by Stakeholders
- Capacity Building in Institutions
- Adherence to Admission Workflow Timelines
- Sustainability (JAMB’s own Product)
- Feedbacks and Continuous Improvement
In addition to these are the future steps to be taken by JAMB and implemented to ensure effective running of the system.
- Practical Training – Jamb CBT Online Practice
- System Settings: Carrying Capacity, Cut‐Off Marks, etc
- Download of Candidates
- Capacity Building in Institutions
- Dual Processing
- Feedbacks & Suggestions
- Continuous Improvement
Jamb Caps Market Place Operations
The Market Place feature in CAPS provides flexibility for the Institutions to source for candidates who may not have earlier chosen the institution for Admission consideration.
Institutions may specify various selection parameters such as UTME score, State/ Local Government, Gender, preferred programmes /course of the Candidates.
The List of Candidates so selected from the Market Place are then pushed to JAMB who then notify the Candidates of Market Place consideration by Institutions. Candidate may Accept / Reject Market Place consideration, subject to a maximum of three (3) Market Place considerations at a time.
The Candidates could also approach the Market Place to announce availability for Admission consideration from any institution or for any programme different from those earlier indicated during the UTME Registration, provided s/he has requisite O’ Level Results and wrote the required subject combination in the UTME.
Any agreement or understanding on Admission consideration between the Institution and candidate based on Market Place operations will have to be effected with a requirement for the Candidate to effect a Change of Institution on the JAMB Portal to be available for Download (Step 6 above) by the new Institution to follow the subsequent steps in the Admission Process.
The existing window for candidates to change Institution or Programme in addition to the Market Place is still available through the e-Facility. Institutions can download (Step 6 of the Admission Process) list of additional candidates who have changed to the institutions since the last download Admissions of candidates can be processed instantly or in batches by Institutions.
General Tips for JAMB Candidates
GOD: One thing you should NEVER forget is to trust in God. You should take note that if you failed the JAMB CBT test, the probability of gaining admission is cut short by 80%! So the fear of CBT and JAMB alone is enough to destabilise a candidate, thus leading to Exam failure.
Confidence: There’s nothing admired in a candidate more than confidence! You need to develop a strong confidence and passion for success to be able to succeed in the examination.
Answering Questions: Take note that when you’re writing the Jamb UTME examination, it is NOT A MUST that you must answer a question before moving to answer the next one! If you don’t know the answer to a particular question, just click on the skip button below that page and move on to the next question! Remember, you have only 3 hours, 30 minutes to answer all questions.
There is no point wasting time on subject you aren’t good at. Start with your simplest subject and then with the next one.
Don’t make the mistake of wasting your time, trying to figure out and answer a particular question, once a particular question is taking much of your time, ensure you jump to the next one.
N.B: you can always jump from one question to another (e.g from 1 to 45) and likewise subject. Be wise about this. These are minor things to note. Violation of them could lead to failure. You should take heed to this important advice.
Time Consciousness: Just like i stat above, you should always try to be time conscious, this is one of the biggest traits to passing and scoring high in the JAMB CBT Examination! Unlike PPT and other methods of examination, in CBT, once it is the time when the examination is set to finish, the computer automatically submits your answer and shuts off.
You should also make sure, that you schedule time for each subject as that would motivate you to meet up with your target. Here’s how you can optimize your time.
40 minutes for Biology,
40 minutes for Physics,
40 minutes for Chemistry (which sum up to 3hours).
Then you could use the remnants for the general review of your answers.
When answering the jamb questions and you come across a question you know, don’t be too excited and choose the wrong option. Be sure you select the correct option.
Don’t be distracted in the examination Hall by candidates who don’t love their future, who are discussing or others who are jeopardizing their future by involving in any format of malpractice. Focus on your computer system and surge for the best.
JAMB NATIONAL HEADQUARTERS
P.M.B. 189, Garki, Abuja, Nigeria.
PHONE: 08123658955, 08188840369, 07055520289
Websites: www.jamb.org.ng; www.jamb.gov.ng
It has headquarter annexes across the six geo-political zones of Nigeria
We recommend other scholarship opportunities.
Does this article meet your immediate needs? if yes, click the SHARE button to share with your friends. if no, leave a response on the comment box to express your concern or ask question and we will get back to you as soon as possible.