The East Africa Social Science Translation (EASST) Collaborative offers Visiting Research Fellowship in the field of social science for applicants from East Africa (Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Ethiopia, or Rwanda) at University of California, Berkeley.
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Ethiopia, or Rwanda
To be taken at (country): USA
About Scholarship: In Spring 2017, EASST will host its sixth annual Visiting Fellowship application. The EASST Visiting Fellowship seeks to equip East African social scientists with the skills needed to carry out rigorous evaluations of social or economic development projects in East Africa. During a four-month fellowship, researchers will be based at the University of California, Berkeley during the Fall academic semester (approximately August 20 – December 20, 2017).
Type: Research, Visiting Fellowship
Who is qualified to apply?
- Be a resident of an East African country participating in EASST (i.e. Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Ethiopia, or Rwanda);
- Have a PhD or Masters (completed within the last 5 years), or be enrolled in a doctoral program, in economics, statistics, epidemiology/public health, or other social science discipline;
- Have conducted an impact evaluation study (either randomized or quasi–experimental), or have an interest in micro-level data collection and quantitative analysis;
- Should hold a staff position at a research institution, university or other recognized national institution in East Africa that has an element of quantitative social science research;
- Will return to a university or research institute in East Africa for at least 1 year after the fellowship;
- Be computer literate and fluent in English.
Number of Awards: Several
What are the fellowship benefits? Fellows receive a living stipend, round-trip economy class air travel to Berkeley, CA, and the opportunity to receive seed funding promote impact evaluation at their home institution in East Africa.
Duration of Fellowship: Fall academic semester (approximately August 20 – December 20, 2017).
Application Deadline: 31st March 2017.
How to Apply: To apply, please review application information available through the Request for Applications, below. All materials should be submitted using the online platform in the Submittable link below
Sponsors: The East Africa Social Science Translation (EASST) Collaborative