Eagle Scout Scholarships 2019 (UPDATED)
There are two types of Eagle Scout Scholarships awarded nationally. One of these types is the Academic Scholarship, which includes a variable number of $3,000 Eagle Scout Scholarships, awarded annually by the National Eagle Scout Association, and a variable number of Mabel and Lawrence S. Cooke Scholarships.
The Mabel and Lawrence S. Cooke Scholarships are awarded annually and include four $20,000 Eagle Scout Scholarships (payable at $5,000 per year) and a $48,000 Scholarship (up to $12,000 for four years), as well as different numbers for other.
In each of the four regions of the BSA (Northeast, South, Central, and West), scholarship committees are formed each year to recommend the recipients of these scholarships. However, the final decision is made by the National NESA Scholarship Committee. The college is not cheap, but it will cost a lot less than 150 worthy eagle scouts.
The National Eagle Scout Association awards up to $700,000 to Eagle Scouts in scholarships based on academic achievement, scouting background, college plans and financial needs.
The window for the latest National Eagle Scout Association Scholarship will open on August 1, 2019. It will be closed on October 31, 2019. Scholars will be notified by email on July 15, 2020, and funds will be disbursed to Eagle Scouts in the fall of 2020.
The scholarships are very competitive. Less than 3% of the expected 5,000 candidates receive a scholarship.
Level/Field of Study
The scholarship is open to high school seniors for their undergraduate programme in their chosen field.
However, if you are an eagle scout between your senior year of high school and junior year, try and apply in order to give yourself the chance to make money for college.
The Eagle Scout Scholarships for 2019are hosted Boys Scout of America(BSA).
The Scholarships are open to members or intending members of the Boys Scout of America.
During the last scholarship period, NESA awarded $690,000 to 154 recipients.
This is a slight increase over the 2015-2016 period when NESA awarded 150 grants totalling $665,000.
For the current period, NESA plans to award at least 150 grants ranging from $2,000 to $50,000 per recipient.
To be qualified for the Eagle Scout Scholarships, interested applicants must adhere to the following:
- You must be a member of the National Eagle Scout Association to receive a scholarship. However, you can apply for a NESA scholarship before applying to be a NESA member.
- Scholarship applicants must apply during their senior year in high school, unless the Eagle Scout Review Committee has been held after October 31, 2019, when they are already university.
- Scholarship applicants must have a minimum of 1,800 SAT (or 1290 if taken after March 2019) or 28 ACT points to apply. A “super score” can be used to meet this requirement.
- Eagle Scouts may apply for merit-based NESA scholarships that begin in their senior year of high school and may apply each year until their first year of university.
- Candidates can not receive a NESA scholarship more than once.
NESA scholarships have so far only been available for Scouts attending four-year universities/colleges. Scouts can now enrol in vocational schools and other approved programs. NESA scholarships are not awarded to any US military academy.
How to Apply
All NESA scholarship applications must be submitted online. Hard copies of previous years are obsolete and will not be accepted.
Applications must be submitted at this Portal
Detail: Academic Eagle Scout Scholarships
- Academic scholarships are based on the participation of students and scouts, their academic achievements and their financial needs.
- Students must apply during their senior year in high school, unless the Eagle Scout Review Board is held after October 31, 2019, and is already attending college. In which case, the application should be done between August and October.
- Eagle Scouts may only apply once for an academic grant and must do so within the timeframe set forth above.
- All scholarship applicants must have at least 1800 SAT (or 1290 if they graduate after March 2019) or 28 ACT points to apply. A “super score” can be used to meet this requirement.
- All applicants must be members of the National Eagle Scout Association to receive a scholarship.Types of Academic scholarships:
- Cooke Scholarships ($2,500 to $48,000): awarded based on school attendance and scouting, academic achievement and financial need. Candidates must attain the minimum SAT or ACT score in order to apply.
- NESA STEM Scholarship ($50,000): annual award to a candidate who has decided to pursue a career in a field related to STEM. Unsuccessful STEM Scholarship applicants will automatically be considered for a Cooke Scholarship worth $2,500 to $48,000, respectively.
Details: Merit Eagle Scout Scholarship
- Grants are awarded on the basis of the participation of schools and scouts, as well as community services.
- Eagle Scouts can apply for NESA Merit Scholarships, which begin during their senior high school year, and they can apply annually until the first year of college.
- Candidates cannot win the NESA Scholarship more than once. Past NESA Scholarship winners can not reapply.Types of Merit scholarships:
- Hall/McElwain Scholarships ($5,000): awarded on the basis of the participation of schools and Scouts and community services.
- Robert and Rebecca Palmer Scholarships ($2,500): awarded on the basis of participation in school and scouting and charity work.
- Bailey Merit Scholarships ($2,000 to $4,000): Awarded based on the participation of schools and Scouts and community services.
- Michael S. Malone/Windrush Publishing Journalism Scholarship ($2,500): Awarded to a scout for research or to pursue a degree in journalism.
The duration for submission of applications for the Eagle Scout Scholarships 2019 is August 1st to 31st October 2019.
For more information on the scholarship, interested applicants should click on the link below:
The Boys Scout of America is offering the Eagle Scout Scholarships 2019 to eligible high school seniors who are members/intending members of the scout | APPLY