As a medical student seeking to lift the burden of tuition fees, DOH Scholarship for medical students in the Philippines is available to Filipino students.
The stress of extensive hours of study and in the theatre can be energy-draining and time-consuming and this connotes any additional burden of tuition fees won’t be welcomed.
However, the Department of Health has instituted a scholarship for medical students in the Philippines. A scholarship that avails them the time to carry out more research and make improvisations in their field than worry about tuition.
In this article, we have answers to many questions that will be running through your mind from the application process to the requirements and the benefits.
What You Need To Know About the DOH Scholarship for Medical Students
The Philippine Department of Health (abbreviated as DOH) is the executive department of the Philippine government responsible for ensuring access to basic public health services by all Filipinos through the provision of quality health care and the regulation of all health services and products.
In order to enhance the quality of medical personnel injected into the sytem, this association thought it wise to initiate this DOH medical scholarship scheme.
The DOH Medicine Scholarship Program includes all four years of medical education, including summer immersion programs prior to the second and third years of medicine, and one year of post-graduate internship.
It also encompasses covers all four years of a Bachelor of Science in Midwifery. In return, scholars will be expected to work for two years in public health for every year of schooling shouldered by the DOH.
Priority will be given to prospective students from low-income families, from geographically isolated and disadvantaged areas or from the country’s twenty poorest municipalities and cities, and from indigenous communities or the national minorities; dependent of government employees and active police and military personnel; victims of calamities; and Barangay Health Workers and traditional birth attendants.
The DOH Medical Scholarship Programs aim to decrease the stark inequity in health human resource distribution within the Philippines by ensuring the presence of service-oriented human resources for health in identified priority areas, usually geographically-isolated rural areas.
The program covers students of the following state universities:
University of the Philippines- Ermita, Manila
Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila- Intramuros, Manila
Cagayan State University- Carig Sur, Tuguegarao City
West Visayas State University- Lapaz, Iloilo City
University of the Philippines School of Health Sciences- Palo, Leyte
Mindanao State University- Bonifacio Ave., Iligan City
Eligibility Requirements To Become A Beneficiary of the DOH
Scholarships for Medical Students
We all know that getting access to these programs will have some underlying requirements.
However, don’t be perturbed as they’re flexible and we’ve easily made it accessible to you.
Therefore, the following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the medicine scholarship Philippines 2020
- Must be a natural Filipino citizen
- Must be a holder of Bachelor’s Degree conferred upon by a duly recognized education institution(for the postgraduate program)
- Should have complied with all academic preparations
- General Weighted Average of 2.50 or its equivalent or better (depending on the medical school)
- Possess an NMAT of 45 and above (depending on the medical school)
- Must have no failure in any subject in the undergraduate course (depending on the medical school)
- Must have no record of having been dropped from any medical school
- Possess have no record of having been denied admission
- Hold have no record of the conviction of a crime involving moral turpitude
- Must pass the MCAT (Medical College Admission Test)
- Must have passed a panel of interview
What do I Receive as a Beneficiary of The DOH Scholarships for Medical Students?
Tuition, laboratory, miscellaneous, and other school fees, to be paid directly to the partner schools.
Allowance paid directly to scholars, composed of:
- Living subsidy- PhP 4,500 per month
- Lodging allowance- PhP 3,000 per month
- Transportation allowance- PhP 800 per month
- Book allowance- PhP 12,100 per semester
- Uniform allowance- PhP 3,025 per semester
- Miscellaneous allowance- PhP 5,500 per semester
Annual Medical Insurance- PhP2,400 per year, to be paid directly to the Philippine Health Insurance Corp
How to Apply for the DOH Scholarships for Medical Students
The application process for the DOH scholarships has two screenings phases after which all applications will go to the Davao Center for Health Development.
The two stages include;
Initial Screening: Students shall apply directly to any of eight DOH partner schools and should meet the minimum criteria/requirements. Only those who have been admitted to the partner schools are eligible to apply for the DOH scholarship.
Final Screening: Validation and final evaluation of applicants by the DOH based on set criteria. Successful scholar applicants shall be notified through the Scholarship Department of the partner schools.
What Documents Must I Have as an applicant of the DOH Scholarship for Medical Students;
- Copy of Barangay Certification/Certification of a Bonafide Resident of the Community
- Copy of Combined Family Income Tax Return (ITR)
- Certificate of Indigency (if applicable)
- Certification from National Commission on Indigenous Peoples (NCIP) (if applicable)
- 20 Postgraduate Scholarships for Zimbabweans in Uk
- Department of Defense Stem Scholarship | USA
- Sugar Industry Scholarship at Sugar Research Institute in Australia
- 15 Belgium Scholarships for Ugandan Students
- 10 Public Health Scholarships in UK for Students from Developing Countries
- 24 fully funded scholarships for developing countries
- 20 Masters Scholarships for Chad to Study Abroad
- 35 university scholarships for developing countries
- 20 Masters Scholarships For Burundi Students To Study Abroad
- 13 PHD SCHOLARSHIPS FOR COMOROS STUDENTS
- Ongoing Local Scholarships in Sudan
- 35 university scholarships for developing countries
- 15 Best Civil Engineering Schools in Canada in
- Top 20 Masters Scholarship for Marketing Students
- 30 scholarships To Study In Ukraine For International Students.
- International Student Scholarships at Kettering University in USA
- 10 Best Medicine Scholarships in Germany for Students from Developing Countries