Deana and Paul Strunk Military Veterans Scholarship
The AAPG (American Association of Petroleum Geologists) Foundation is proud to announce its Deana and Paul Strunk Military Veterans Scholarship Program (MVSP). The program is open to entering or reentering a post-secondary undergraduate or program in a field of geoscience at a four-year accredited college or university. The program is designed to promote the advancement of student veterans in educational geoscience programs at the undergraduate level. The AAPG Foundation is offering up to $4,000 in Scholarships for US Military Veterans. The scholarship may be used for educational expenses and cost of attendance ($2,000 to part-time students and $4,000 to full-time students).
The AAPG (American Association of Petroleum Geologists) Foundation was established in 1967 with the mission of providing a source of funding for educational, charitable and scientific objectives, which directly and indirectly benefit the geologic profession and the general public.
To eligible, the applicant must:
- Must be active U.S. Military service members (including National Guard and Reserve) or veteran members separated from active military service who have been honorably discharged and
- Must be entering or reentering a post-secondary undergraduate or program in a field of geoscience full-time or part-time at a four-year accredited college or university
- Preference may be given to students who express an interest in a geoscience-focused on energy related subjects.
How to Apply:
To apply for the scholarship, the applicants can submit an online application through the given link:
MVSP applicants must:
- Provide documentation of military service by one of the following:
- Post-911 GI Bill award letter DD Form 214, honorable discharge letter, or letter from the commanding officer certifying current National Guard or Reserve status
- Provide official or unofficial transcripts showing a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale
- Provide proof of enrollment or acceptance for enrollment to an eligible post-secondary geoscience undergraduate degree program at an accredited four-year college or university.
- Describe financial need acknowledging that if awarded, MVSP funds will be used for educational needs or “cost of attendance” for the pursuit of the geoscience undergraduate degree.
- (i.e. Funds may be used for tuition, books, fees and living expenses including mortgage or rent, property taxes, interest, insurance, maintenance, repairs, gas, electric, water, heating oil, garbage collection, residential telephone service, cell phone service internet service, food, computer hardware and school related software.
- Write a career goal statement (250-500 words) including a description of geoscience career goals and how an MVSP scholarship will help the applicant achieve those goals.
- Include 1-4 letter(s) of recommendation from the military supervisor, a former teacher, mentor, professor or academic advisor.
Financial Aid and Award Money:
Scholarship amounts range from $2,000 to $4,000 per student per year based on merit, financial need, and a number of applications.
- The scholarships levels are: $2,000 (part-time students) and $4,000 (full-time students).
- A maximum of $4,000 may be awarded per student per year.
- A student may receive an MVSP scholarship twice in total.
- Amounts and numbers of awards may vary based on fund earnings and spending rate.
The complete online application must submit on or before 11:59 PST on May 15, 2017. All applicants will be notified of award status on or before June 15, 2017.
Link for more Information: