The Daniel Murphy Scholarship Fund is aimed at providing Scholarship aids to High School Students in Chicago who have financial challenges from their homes. By giving these Scholars the opportunity to attend college preparatory high schools, DMSF is making a difference in the lives of deserving young men and women, their families and their communities.
The Daniel Murphy Scholarship Foundation was founded in 1989 by two Chicago.based brothers with their family and friends. Daniel Murphy Scholarship Foundation believes that education is the key to breaking the poverty chains and grooming leader and role Models from a diverse background.
The Daniel Murphy Scholarship Fund seeks to be at the forefront of this social change by providing access to college preparatory high schools to promising young women and men.
After partnering with some high Schools back then in 1990, DSWF awarded high School Scholarships to four Economically Challenged Students with the brightest academic future.
Today, DMSF awards 125 new Scholarships to 8th-grade Students annually. It is on record that DMSF has given out 2,440 Scholarships to students in Chicago to allow them to attend college.
Level/Field of Study
The Daniel Murphy Scholarship Fund is designed for Students in the High school wishing to pursue a degree in an accredited College or University in the USA. The Student decides his choice course based on his passion.
The Daniel Murphy Scholarship Foundation is based in Chicago and only coordinate Scholarship programs in the Chicago, United States of America.
The DMSF Scholarship as I earlier said take care of the student in the 8th grade in Chicago and student outside Chicago is not eligible to apply.
The award amount varies for the Daniel Murphy Scholarship each year. But from every Indications Daniel Murphy Scholarship is between the range of $500 and $2,000.
DMSF Scholarship Eligibility:
Candidates with academic potential, strong character, and financial needs are the best candidates for a DMSF scholarship. Applicants must live in Chicago or near Cicero or Berwyn to qualify for the scholarship. We do not accept applications from students who live in other communities.
A candidate demonstrates his or her academic potential through grades 6 and 7 grades and test scores. No factor is crucial. The credentials of the candidates must mainly contain the main subjects A and B. Candidates’ test results must demonstrate their ability to work at the grade level or above. The DMSF also carefully reviews the recommendations it has received from the teachers of the candidates.
A candidate can be strong in character through the school and community activities in which he was involved. The character of the applicant will also be judged on the content of the essays that he or she must write, as well as on the recommendations made by teachers and a career counselor.
Financial needs generally refer to families with an annual income of $ 65,000 or less. Each applicant’s family is required to provide important financial information to the DMSF, including the income of their parents/guardians (including non-caregiving parents and stepparents) and the assets of their parent/guardian.
DMSF can only provide financial support to families who are eligible for financial support from our partner schools. The DMSF scholarship is not a full scholarship. The DMSF covers part of the tuition, the partner school provides substantial financial support, and the families are also responsible for paying tuition fees. The average family contribution is $ 2,500 to $ 3,500 per school year.
How to Apply:
- The application can be completed over several days or weeks. If you want to save what you have already entered on the application before finishing it, and come back to work on it later, click on “save my progress and resume later.”
- That will allow you to generate a user name and password, which you can use to resume working on the application at a later date.
- No application can be submitted until it has been fully completed.
- Once your application has been submitted, your teachers and guidance counselor/principal will receive an email asking them to complete a letter of recommendation on your behalf. We require recommendations from:
- Your 7th grade English/Language Arts teacher
- Your 7th grade Math teacher
- Your principal or school counselor
**We will contact your teachers to obtain the recommendations.**
To complete the application you are required to attach documents concerning your family’s finances. Please attach any and all of the following, if you have them:
- The 2018 state and federal income tax returns (Form 1040) of both applicants’ parents, as well as other adults who live in applicants’ home (including all schedules)
- 2018 W-2 Forms from applicant’s parents and other adults who live in applicant’s home
- Documentation of non-taxable income (child support, public assistance, disability, social security income, etc.)
- Divorce Decrees
These documents will need to be scanned into your computer as PDF files in order to upload them into the application. If you do not have a scanner at home, we recommend you seek assistance from your local school or public library or go to a commercial copy center such as FedEx or UPS.
Applications will end every may each year. The Lasted dates for the award will be updated here as soon as possible. http://www.dmsf.org/become-a-murphy-scholar/
Daniel Murphy Frequently Asked Questions.
Q#1 Where can I apply?
The application for DMSF Class 2024 (students attending high school in the fall of 2020) is available on the Applications tab of our website. Our application deadline is Friday, 3 May 2019.
Q#2 What does the application require?
The application must be completed in three parts:
Student Component: Several short questions and two text questions
Parent / Parent Component: Several short questions, financial information for all parents / guardians (including non-dependent parents and / or step-parents)
Instructor Component: Teachers and directors/advisers must complete referral forms and submit standardized protocols and test results. Recommendations, testimonials and test results are transmitted electronically.
Q#3 What happens to applications?
Once an application has been received by the DMSF, it will be checked for completeness. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Due to a large number of applications, the DMSF cannot confirm that it has received an application and can not comment on the status of the application.
Completed applications will be reviewed by at least two different readers. In the end, about every fifth student who has submitted an application is selected for a job interview. Decisions on who will be selected for interviews will be made in July 2019.
Q#4 How is the interview going?
Candidates fortunate enough to be selected for a job interview will be informed of the date of their interview approximately one week prior to the interview. An interview is expected from the candidates and their parents or guardians. Please let us know in advance if a translator is needed.
During the interview, each candidate will meet two or three panels of interviewers, all volunteers. Each meeting lasts about ten minutes. Then, parents or guardians meet separately with each group of interviewers. Finally, everyone meets a member of the Ministry of Education of the DMSF.
Q#5 How do I experience my status?
About the status of the applicant is given by telephone no information. After questioning a candidate, he will receive a letter within two weeks of the interview to inform him of the decision of the DMSF. All students applying for the scholarship will be informed about their status by July 2019
Q#6. What are my next steps if I receive a DMSF grant?
Scholarships will not be final until the candidate completes the following steps:
- Take the appropriate admission tests at the schools.
- Applies to one or more DMSF partner schools.
- Will be admitted to a partner school of the DMSF.
- Sign a scholarship confirmation.
- Registration at the school before the date specified by the school.
- Fills out the school’s funding forms on time and receives financial support from the school.
- Send a copy of the letter of admission of the school and the letter of a grant to the DMSF.
- Take part in the two-week compulsory summer program of the DMSF.
- Sign a DMSF Stock Exchange Agreement.
We Also Recommend!
- 21 Best Boarding School for Girls in the World, 2019
- Do College Credits Expire? Best Answers
- Endeavour Scholarship for Thailand Students 2019-2020 | Updated
- Catawba College: Scholarship, Tuition, and Cost of Living 2019
The Daniel Murphy Scholarship Fund is aimed at providing quality College Education forHigh School Students in Chicago USA. The DMSF Application is ongoing