DAAD, the German Academic Exchange Service, in association with AIMS, provides six in-region scholarships for a PhD programme in Mathematical Sciences. These scholarship are available to students wishing to commence a PhD programme at a South African University.
As part of the/In-Region Scholarship Progamme” DAAD offers scholarships for
PhD studies. The programme is funded by the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and aims at university staff in the first line, without neglecting the public sector demand of academically trained personnel.
The target group for scholarships are postgraduates from Sub-Saharan Africa (excluding South Africa) with a Master’s degree who want to pursue PhD courses in South Africa (In-Region scholarships).
It has been agreed upon that DAAD cooperates with the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) by offering up to six In-Region Scholarships for PhD studies at AIMS for the intake 2020.
The DAAD supports over 100,000 German and international students under researchers around the globe each year – making it the world’s largest funding organisation of its kind.
We also promote internationalisation efforts at German universities, help developing countries build their own systems of higher education, and support German Studies and German language programmes abroad. Our Artists-in-Berlin Program is one of the most renowned international scholarship programmes for artists.
What You Need To Know About The DAAD-AIMS Scholarships for African Students
LEVEL / FIELD OF STUDY:
Scholarships are available to pursue PhD degree programme . Research fields considered include mathematical science
The scholarship can be taken in south Africa. If you are an international student and you wish to study in UK , this is for you Free study in Germany: tips on how to apply for admission and visa.
This scholarship is available for Sub-Saharan African (excluding South Africa) countries at the following institutions.
- The African Institute for Mathematical Sciences, 6-8 Melrose Road, Muizenberg 7945, South Africa;
- Stellenbosch University,
- University of Cape Town,
- University of the Western Cape
Read also if you wish to study outside your home country Simple and Detailed Answers about Applying and Winning a Scholarship.
Item Payment Amount
1.Tuition fees annually the regularly charged amount (in ZAR)
2.Study and research allowance annually 920 EUR (PhD)*
Printing allowance once at the end 800 EUR (PhD)*
(Accommodation, Food etc.) monthly 500 EUR
Travel allowance twice The flat rate travel
(In-Region only) (beginning/end of scholarship) allowance will be specified in the letter of
Insurance annually 4.400 ZAR
The DAAD-AIMS Scholarships for African Students Eligibility:
- have successfully completed generally a two-year university degree (doctoral candidates) with above average results (upper forth of class)
- clearly show motivation and strong commitment
- have thorough knowledge of the language of instruction
- have completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the time of application
- must be nationals or permanent resident of a Sub-Saharan African Country, excluding South Africa
- should generally be a) staff member of a public university, b) candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, c) from the public sector
Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme
How To Apply For The DAAD-AIMS Scholarships for African Students
The online portal for applications is now open and applications and will close on 15 November 2020.
Applicants must apply for their studies at AIMS using the contacts and the method
that is prescribed by the institution. AIMS has set its own deadlines.
AIMS will screen, pre-select (according to DAAD selection criteria) and short-list
the applicants. A detailed report consisting of the shortlisting procedure, the entire
list of applicants, the ranked shortlist and the shortlisting panel members will also
be availed to DAAD.
The ranked shortlist will contain preferably triple (at least
double) the number of scholarships that have been attributed to the institution.
DAAD reserves the right of final selection.
Pre-selected candidates are asked to log into the DAAD portal and register
themselves and submit an DAAD application.
1. Register online via the DAAD-Portal (if not already registered):
https://portal.daad.de, Deadline: 15.11.2020
2. Apply online via the DAAD-Portal under the tab “Personal Funding“/
Documents to be submitted:
- DAAD application form duly filled in (available in the DAAD-Portal)
- Hand signed curriculum vitae (please use the European specimen
form at http://europass.cedefop. Europa.eu), including a list of
publications (if applicable).
- Recommendation letter by university teachers (PhD 2)
- Letter of admission of the host university / institution / network
- Certified copies of university degree certificates including transcripts
- Letter of motivation (if applicable: mentioning the planned research
stay in Germany, see “Additional benefits”)
- Copy of the passport
- Declaration of acceptance from the academic supervisor
- Detailed and precise PhD proposal, including detailed work and time
table (if applicable: mentioning the planned research stay in
Germany, see “Additional benefits”)
- Abstract of the proposal on one page (please include name and title
It is important to go through the Application and Selection Procedure in the Scholarship Webpage before applying.
Scholarship Applications Deadline:15th November 2020.
WE ALSO RECOMMEND:
- The Future Is Female Scholarship Program
- Funded DAAD Scholarships for Foreign Artists to study in Germany
- Top 20 Free Scholarships for Ethiopian Students in America
- DAAD SCHOLARSHIPS FOR ALL STUDENTS-APPLY NOW
- Apply NOW: The Taipei International Design Award
- Daad Scholarships for Japanese Students
- DAAD Study Scholarships for Foreign Graduates in Germany
- Murray State University: Courses, Ranking, Admission, Scholarships, Mascot & Tuition
- DAAD Development-Related Courses Postgraduate Scholarship,– Germany
- Top 20 PhD Degree Scholarships for Literature Students
- APPLICATION LINK
- ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
- SCHOLARSHIP WORTH
DAAD, the German Academic Exchange Service, in association with AIMS, provides six in-region scholarships for a PhD programme in Mathematical Sciences.