Gambian students are been invited to hurry and apply for the COMMONWEALTH MASTERS AND Ph.D. SCHOLARSHIPS FOR GAMBIAN STUDENTS 2020, applicants that have complied with the eligibility criteria will be considered for this scholarship program. Hurry now and apply.
- How can I get a good scholarship?
- 1. Know where to search for scholarships;
- 2. Prepare in advance for scholarships;
- 3. Work hard and stay motivated;
- 4. Distinguish yourself from other applicants;
- 5. Read the instructions meticulously;
- 6. Submit an exceptional essay or cover letter;
- 7. Apply for every eligible scholarship;
- 8. Participate in community life.
- 9. Be Positive;
- What is a commonwealth scholarship?
- ABOUT COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP:
- WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT COMMONWEALTH MASTERS AND Ph.D. SCHOLARSHIP FOR GAMBIANS:
- EDITOR’S RECOMMENDATION
How can I get a good scholarship?
To get a scholarship, you need do the following;
1. Know where to search for scholarships;
Use a scholarship search engine, search on credible websites, blogs, schools update, etc. Just ensure you’re getting the authentic info on the call-out.
2. Prepare in advance for scholarships;
Don’t always be taken unawares, push your IQ a little harder, or maybe, your efforts require the pushing even to acquire results that attract scholarships.
Get involved with your community, it is called volunteering, it sells often big-time for some major scholarships too.
Either way, whatever the major requirements will be; volunteer experience, GPA, etc, make such to have enough of that.
3. Work hard and stay motivated;
you MUST be your first cheerleader. Cheer yourself on, motivate you, then add some hard work to all that self-cheerleading!
Furthermore, be passionate, very passionate. It fuels and sustains hardwork.
4. Distinguish yourself from other applicants;
I cannot overemphasize this, STAND OUT! Give the scholarship sponsor what it wants, this you can achieve by deeply learning about scholarship odds. This gives you an advantage that enables you to interpret the requirements better.
Don’t just do well with your grades or volunteering experience or any other requirements, add ‘top-notch’ to it.
Literally, blow your own mind with your results, then we will be near too certain that your scholarship-benefactors will be overly blown.
For one, you will already be STICKING OUT from the rest of the applicants with such extreme great results. Keep pushing you!
5. Read the instructions meticulously;
NEVER be in a hurry to BRUSH through any scholarship’s instructions. That may be the beginning of rejections, but no, not for you, please.
However, you need to pause, breath, then read again very slowly. When you’re done, go another slow round.
In the end, you’ll find some near-unnecessary detail that could have caused you the award of the scholarship. So dear, always ensure you read every part of the instructions, even the numbering. (Grins away)
Also, don’t ignore the optional questions! The can be very tricky! Answer just everything. It could be what eventually stands you out.
Research about additional opportunities and understand the requirements. Also, ensure to check out the eligibility criteria of all available Canadian scholarships for international students or citizens.
Don’t spend your time applying to awards that you’re not actually eligible for, because it reduces your chances of gaining a scholarship.
Read the eligibility requirements through very carefully. If you’re not sure what one of the requirements means, or if it applies to you, ask the award administrator.
It takes only a few minutes to ask questions for clarity. Now compare that to hours of writing an essay for an award you can’t win. I’m sure you don’t want any of that!
6. Submit an exceptional essay or cover letter;
Want to hear some truth? Sometimes, you meet all the requirements, but, your only downer was the cover letter.
If you have to take a course, by all means, do! But you MUST perfect the art of drafting a SWELL cover letter.
Very strategically, look for essay contests and send in your essays to as many call outs as possible. It builds your essay writing skill better.
7. Apply for every eligible scholarship;
The trick to winning scholarships is often by applying for several at once. The more scholarships you apply for, the better chances you stand to win at least a few.
So, keep applying for as many eligible scholarships as possible.
8. Participate in community life.
Though many scholarships for international students are based on academic qualifications and some or a few on financial need, however, a good number of others are awarded for community participation.
9. Be Positive;
This cannot be over said. Search, read, apply, then, stay very positive about getting every scholarship. Believe you’ll get the scholarship, that’s sure how winners keep winning.
You sure will want o get a great news while immersed in your positive energy, so yeah, allow yourself be immersed in that during the waiting.
The positive response from the scholarship-benefactors will eventually come, so relax already.
What is a commonwealth scholarship?
According to Study Uk, Commonwealth Scholarships are given to talented individuals with the potential to make a change on the global stage.
Part of the UK’s ongoing commitment to the Commonwealth is by giving around 800 students the chance to undertake postgraduate degrees with UK universities each year.
How do I get a Commonwealth Scholarship?
Applicants are expected to send their applications for the Commonwealth Scholarships through the National Nominating Agency.
Each participating commonwealth country has its own unique appointing bodies, with its own rules, eligibility and deadlines.
ABOUT COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP:
The Commonwealth Scholarship Commission in the UK (CSC) provides the main UK government scholarship scheme led by international development objectives. The CSC is an executive non-departmental public body, sponsored by the Department for International Development (DFID).
The CSC operates within the framework of the Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan (CSFP) and is a vivid demonstration of the UK’s enduring commitment to the Commonwealth.
By supporting innovators and leaders of the future from across the Commonwealth, and by attracting outstanding talent to Britain’s universities, our work combines sustainable development with the UK national interest.
We use rigorous procedures to ensure that our programmes promote equity and inclusion, reward merit, and deliver widespread access, especially to those from disadvantaged backgrounds.
DFID is our lead department and main sponsor, funding awards exclusively for candidates from low and middle-income countries. We also receive financial contributions from the Department for Education (DfE), for scholarships for candidates from high-income countries, and the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS), for fellowships for postdoctoral researchers.
To further know more about the commonwealth, please see this link
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT COMMONWEALTH MASTERS AND Ph.D. SCHOLARSHIP FOR GAMBIANS:
The Commonwealth scholarship is completely financed by the UK Department of international development ( DFID). The commonwealth masters and Ph.D. scholarship for Gambians are primarily aimed at enabling motivated individuals to gain the skills and knowledge that are much needed for sustainable development.
These scholarships are offered under six themes:
- Science and technology for development
- Strengthening health systems and capacity
- Promoting global prosperity
- Strengthening global peace, security and governance
- Strengthening resilience and response to crises
- Access, inclusion and opportunity
LEVEL/ FIELD OF STUDY:
This GAMBIA COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP 2020 GAMBIA COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP 2020 is for masters and Ph.D. programs and is available to any field of study chosen by the student.
The GAMBIA COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP 2020 is to be taken in the UK
There are other UK Scholarships available for International students in 2020.
This scholarship is for Gambians.
Aside from the COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIPS FOR GAMBIAN STUDENTS, there are other scholarships available to international students to study abroad. You can check our scholarship by country to access all scholarships available.
Each scholarship provides:
- Approved airfare from your home country to the UK and return at the end of your award (the CSC will not reimburse the cost of fares for dependants, nor usually the cost of journeys made before your award is finally confirmed)
- Approved tuition and examination fees
- Stipend (living allowance) at the rate of £1,043 per month, or £1,279 per month for those at universities in the London metropolitan area (rates quoted at 2016-2017 levels)
- Thesis grant towards the cost of preparing a thesis or dissertation, where applicable
- Warm clothing allowance, where applicable
- Study travel grant towards the costs of study-related travel within the UK or overseas
- For Ph.D. Scholars, fieldwork grant towards the cost of fieldwork undertaken overseas (usually the cost of one economy class return airfare to your fieldwork location), where approved
- For Ph.D. Scholars, paid a mid-term visit (airfare) to your home country (unless you have claimed (or intend to claim) spouse and/or child allowances during your scholarship, or have received a return airfare to your home country for fieldwork)
- If your scholarship is at least 18 months long, the following family allowances:
- Spouse allowance of £224 per month if you and your spouse are living together at the same address in the UK (unless your spouse is also in receipt of a scholarship; other conditions also apply)
- Child allowance of £224 per month for the first child, and £110 per month for the second and third child under the age of 16, if you are accompanied by your spouse and children and they are living with you at the same address in the UK
- If you are widowed, divorced, or a single parent (irrespective of the length of your scholarship), child allowance of £448 per month for the first child, and £110 per month for the second and third child under the age of 16, if you are accompanied by your children and they are living with you at the same address in the UK The CSC’s family allowances are intended to be only a contribution towards the cost of maintaining your family in the UK. The true costs are likely to be considerably higher, and you must be able to supplement these allowances in order to support any family members who come to the UK with you.
To apply for these scholarships, you must:
- Be a citizen of or have been granted refugee status by the Gambia, or be a British Protected Person
- Be permanently resident in the Gambia
- Be available to start your academic studies in the UK by:
- For Master’s study, the start of the UK academic year in September/October 2020
- For Ph.D. study, January 2020
- By October 2019, hold a first degree of at least upper second class (2:1) honours standard, or a second class degree and relevant postgraduate qualification (usually a Master’s degree)
- For the Ph.D. study, NOT be registered for a Ph.D., or an MPhil leading to a Ph.D., at a UK university before September/October 2020
- Be unable to afford to study in the UK without this scholarship
HOW TO APPLY FOR THIS SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM:
All applications must be made directly to the CSC using the CSC’s application system. The CSC will not accept any applications that are not submitted via its application system.
In your application, you must provide the following supporting documentation:
- Full transcripts detailing all your higher education qualifications (with certified translations if not in English)
- Proof that you hold eligible citizenship: a copy of your passport or birth certificate
You must provide the following supporting documentation
- References from at least two individuals
- For Ph.D. study, a supporting statement from a proposed supervisor at one or more of the UK universities named on your application form
If this documentation is not provided by the dates specified your application will be considered ineligible.
Apply for commonwealth masters scholarship here
Apply for Commonwealth Ph.D. scholarship here
For more details on Commonwealth scholarship for the Gambia, you can visit the official webpage by clicking here
The latest update on application deadline will be communicated as soon as possible please do well to continue checking this site so as not to miss out on anything