Chevening Scholarships are awarded to outstanding emerging leaders from Japan to pursue a one-year master’s at any UK university. The scholarship programme provides a unique opportunity for future leaders, influencers, and decision-makers from all over the world to develop professionally and academically, network extensively, experience UK culture, and build lasting positive relationships with the UK..
Chevening provides fully-funded scholarships, leaving you free to focus on achieving your academic goals and enjoying the experience of a lifetime. You will live and study in the UK for a year, during which time you will develop professionally and academically, grow your network, experience UK culture, and build lasting positive relationships with the UK.
The call for new applicants follows the selection of some 1,800 scholars who won an award to study at a UK university this year.
These scholarships represent a significant investment from the UK Government to develop the next cohort of global leaders.
ABOUT THE SPONSOR:
Chevening is the UK Government’s international awards scheme aimed at developing global leaders. Funded by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) and partner organisations, Chevening offers two types of award – Chevening Scholarships and Chevening Fellowships – the recipients of which are personally selected by British embassies and high commissions throughout the world.
The programme creates a network of influencers and decision makers who have a lasting positive disposition towards the UK and its universities, and partnerships enable closer connections to be developed between the partner organisation, the FCO and this extensive Chevening Alumni network
Chevening Awards are an important element in Britain’s public diplomacy effort and bring professionals, who have already displayed outstanding leadership talents, to study in the UK. The objective of Chevening is to support foreign policy priorities and achieve FCO objectives by creating lasting positive relationships with future leaders, influencers, and decision-makers.
What you Need To Know About Chevening Scholarships for Japanese Students
The programme creates a network of influencers and decision makers who have a lasting positive disposition towards the UK and its universities, and partnerships enable closer connections to be developed between the partner organisation, the FCO and this extensive Chevening Alumni network.
evel/ Field of Study:
The Scholarship is designed for Japanese STUDENTS. The Scholarship is designed Specifically for Applicants who have exceptional leadership and show great academic background.
This a fully funded scholarship in which the recipient gets Up to £18,000
- university tuition fees
- a monthly stipend
- travel costs to and from the UK
- an arrival allowance
- a homeward departure allowance
- the cost of one visa application
- a travel grant to attend Chevening events in the UK
Chevening Scholarships for Japanese Students Eligibility
To be eligible for a Chevening Award you must:
- Be a Japan citizen
- Return to your country of citizenship for a minimum of two years after your award has ended
- Have an undergraduate degree that will enable you to gain entry onto a postgraduate programme at a UK university. This is typically equivalent to an upper second-class 2:1 honours degree in the UK.
- Have at least two years’ work experience (this may be up to five years for fellowship programmes, so please refer to your country page for further details)
- Apply to three different eligible UK university courses and have received an unconditional offer from one of these choices by 12 July 2018
- Meet the Chevening English language requirement by 12 July 2018
Once submitted, your application will be reviewed against the Chevening eligibility criteria. If you failed to meet the work experience requirement, or have entered something in your declaration that makes you ineligible, you will be given one opportunity to review and amend your entries for these two sections.
You will receive instructions on how to review these sections via email and you will have until 48 hours prior to the application deadline to amend your answers. For scholarships, this is 1200 GMT on 6 November 2017. Failure to amend your answers will mean your application will not be considered for an award.
If you applied before the deadline, but have not yet submitted your English language test results or your unconditional university offer, you must upload them to your application by 12 July 2018. Use the ‘upload application documents’ button above to upload them. Please note that only documents in PDF format can be uploaded and documents cannot be over 5MB in size.
If you are eventually conditionally selected for a Chevening Scholarship, it is essential that you have submitted these documents in order to remain in the process.
English language test availability in this country can be limited and we strongly encourage you to book your test as soon as possible.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENT
In order to receive a Chevening Award, all applicants must demonstrate that they have fulfilled the Chevening English language requirement by 12 July 2018. We advise all applicants to ensure they have fulfilled the English language requirement as early as possible by either:
- Taking an English language test
- Claiming an exemption based on the UKVI exempt categories
If you fail to demonstrate that you have met the required English language level by 12 July 2018 or fail to prove that you qualify for an exemption, your application will not be successful
English language tests
You are free to take tests more than once in order to meet the Chevening English language requirement. Please note that Chevening does not pay for costs associated with English language testing. You are responsible for booking and paying for costs associated with these tests.
Chevening accepts English language tests from five providers:
- Academic IELTS
- Pearson PTE Academic
- TOEFL iBT
- C1 Advanced (formerly Cambridge English: Advanced [CAE])
- Trinity ISE II (B2)
The English language test must be taken from one of these providers on or after 1 October 2016. If you do not already have an existing eligible test certificate, it is your responsibility to ensure that you have booked a test date so that you can obtain the required results.
Applicants are not permitted to take pre-sessional courses to fulfil the Chevening English language requirement. You will be required to take one of the approved English language tests unless you fall into one of the exempt categories.
Applicants are not permitted to enrol on pre-sessional courses to fulfil their university’s English language requirement or any other conditions of a university offer. Any offer from a university with a requirement to undertake a pre-sessional course will be considered conditional.
Chevening English language requirement: breakdown of scores
|Find a test centre|
|Overall score of 6.5 with a minimum score in each component of:|
Pearson PTE Academic
|Find a test centre|
|Overall score of 58 with a minimum score in each component of:|
|Find a test centre|
|Overall score of 79 with a minimum score in each component of:|
|Find a test centre|
|Overall score of 176 with a minimum score in each component of:|
Trinity ISE II (B2)
|Find a test centre|
|Overall pass and minimum pass in each skill across both modules:|
In some countries, the availability of test centres is limited so we recommend you organise a test at the earliest opportunity. If there are no English language test centres in your country, you may be required to travel to a neighbouring country to take a test. Please see your country page for further guidance.
Please note that the turnaround time for English language tests varies:
- IELTS results will be available in 13 days
- PTE Academic results will be available in five business days
- TOEFL results will be available approximately ten days
- C1 Advanced results will be available in two weeks
- Trinity results will be available in 14 days
English language test results are sometimes withheld or delayed due to standard auditing procedures carried out by the test provider. Please note that extensions to the 12 July deadline will not be granted in cases where results are withheld or delayed, and applicants should therefore ensure that they take their test well in advance of the deadline.
Remember to prepare for your English language test in advance. Tips on how to prepare for the tests and practice test papers are available on each of the test provider’s websites.
English language exemptions
Applicants who are nationals of one of the following countries are exempt from submitting an English language test for a Chevening Award.
Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, New Zealand, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, the United States of America, and British Overseas Territories.
Applicants who have been awarded a bachelor’s degree or higher that was taught in full in a university located and accredited in one of the following countries are also exempt from submitting an English language test for a Chevening Scholarship*:
Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, New Zealand, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, the UK, and the United States of America.
*The exemption from the Chevening English language requirement will not be granted for distance learning courses or studying at the overseas campus of a university based in an exempt country. However, evidence of studying abroad in one of the exempt countries for at least one academic year as part of an accredited degree course will be granted the English language exemption.
Applications for Chevening Scholarships and some Fellowships will reopen in August 2018 for opportunities to study in the UK in 2019/2020.
FOR MORE INFORMATION VISIT THE LINK BELOW
WE ALSO RECOMMEND
- Newtons Undergraduate Scholarship for UK and EU Students at University of Surrey in UK, 2019
- Fully Funded Malaysian International Scholarships MIS 2018
- International Welcome Scholarships at Golden Gate University in USA, 2018
- International Management Scholarships in UK, 2018
- Q-Step PG Bursaries/Scholarships at Warwick in UK, 2018
- Tel Aviv University Postdoctoral, Doctoral and Visiting Fellowships in Israel, 2018
- European Masters Scholarships in Software Engineering (EMSE), 2018/2020
- Chevening Scholarships for Belize Students 2018-2019
- APPLY NOW FOR CHEVENING SCHOLARSHIPS IN CANADA 2018-2019
- Dorothy Griffiths MBA Scholarships at Imperial College Business School in UK, 2017
- Fully-funded Shell SNEPCo Postgraduate Scholarship for Nigerian Students to study in UK 2018-2019
- Swire/Oxford & Cambridge Society of Kenya Master Scholarship, 2018
- International Tuition Fee Scholarships at RMIT University in Australia, 2017
- Chevening Scholarships for Rwandan Students 2018-2019
- The Two Most Recognised Spanish Language Proficiency Tests: DELE & CELU
- CHEVENING SCHOLARSHIPS FOR GAMBIAN STUDENTS 2018-2019