Central Queensland University
One of the top destinations for excellent study in a world renowned university is Australia. Australia has great institutions that offer quality education to students over the years. One of such top-notch universities is Central Queensland University. We have prepared a comprehensive writing on all that you need to know about Central Queensland University and what it takes to study there, as well as tips on how to make most use of your study time in Australia.
What do you know about Australia
Australia is known globally as being one of the world’s most diverse and welcoming countries, and it is something for which we take great pride. In fact, of Australia’s 23 million population, almost half (47%) of all Australians were either born overseas or have one parent born overseas.
It has more than 260 languages spoken in Australian homes: in addition to English, the most common are Mandarin, Italian, Arabic, Cantonese and Greek.
It is a country and continent surrounded by the Indian and Pacific oceans. Its major cities – Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide – are coastal. Its capital, Canberra, is inland. The country is known for its Sydney Opera House, the Great Barrier Reef, a vast interior desert wilderness called the Outback, and unique animal species like kangaroos and duck-billed platypuses.
Higher education in Australia
Higher education courses can be taken to earn an advanced degree and continue your studies in Australia. There are three main types of higher education which lead to Bachelor, Master and Doctoral Degrees.
In Australia it is quite common for students to enrol in a double or combined Bachelor Degree program which leads to the award of two Bachelor Degrees. This is most common in the fields of arts, commerce, law and science.
Australian institutions offer a wide range of courses – from science to management and commerce, humanities to engineering, and law to health sciences. Australian institutions rank among the world’s best by discipline, particularly in engineering and technology, medicine, environmental science, and accounting and finance.
There are 43 universities in Australia (40 Australian universities, two international universities, and one private specialty university). Along with our universities, many other institutions offer higher education courses. You can search for institutions and courses using the Institution and Course Search on this website.
About Central Queensland University
Central Queensland University (CQUniversity) is an Australian dual sector public university situated in Queensland. It was established initially in Rockhampton in 1967 as Queensland Institute of Technology until 1992 when it became a full University of Central Queensland, which was renamed CQUniversity in 2009.
Its main campus in now in Norman Gardens, Rockhampton which has more than 30,000 students and campus annexes at Rockhampton City, Bundaberg, Emerald, Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide, Gladstone, Mackay (central business district and Ooralea), Noosa, and Townsville, as well as delivery sites in Cairns, Cannonvale, Charters Towers, Yeppoon, Biloela, as well as Geraldton, Karratha and Perth in Western Australia.
It also has metropolitan campuses in Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide and Brisbane which hosts both local and international students. CQU is now renowned for as one of the largest institutions in regional Australia.
The University holds a strict emphasis on social innovation and global outreach which has developed strategic partnership with various communities, organizations, industries, government both at home and abroad. The school will keep expanding and innovating the delivery of its online and on-campus learning courses across the country and beyond to make seamless articulation available to students.
Central Queensland University Courses
CQUniversity runs programs in which a wide range of courses are offered and it has established reputation in courses like;
Business, Accounting and Law Creative, Performing and Visual Arts Education and Humanities Engineering and Built Environment Engineering Trades English, Work and Study Preparation Health Information Technology and Digital Media Psychology, Social Work and Community Services Science and Environment Service Industries Transport and Safety Sciences
Central Queensland university ranking
The university is one of the best universities in that region and one of the topmost in Australia. This is evident on how the university is rated among other institutions in the country and the world. The ranking is as follows;
- Ranks 500 in the world and 29th in Australia
- Recognised among the top two percent of universities worldwide by the Times Higher Education World Rankings.
- Recognised within the world’s top 650 universities by QS World University Rankings.
- Ranked as one of the world’s best universities under 50 years of age by Times Higher education and QS World University Rankings.
Central Queensland university Admission
The basic requirements for admission in Central Queensland University are a mandatory necessity for all candidates seeking admission into any program or disciplines in the university. It involves the online application system which is called iStart and certain supporting documents.
iStart, is the University online application system for international students; it is user friendly and contains guides through the application process into any of courses and program in CQUniversity Australia. Registering with iStart will allow you to do the following:
- Complete your application
- Monitor the status of your application
- Receive an offer
- Accept your offer.
The supporting documents needed are certified copies of;
- Academic transcripts
- Translations of academic transcripts (if original documents are in a language other than English)
- Personal identification document e.g. passport
- Evidence that you meet the English requirement e.g. an English test result.
- certificate, diploma or advanced diploma (or equivalent)
- certificate of Australian Year 12 or its foreign equivalent
- If you do not have your latest academic transcript, you will need to provide a copy of your most recent academic transcript.
The International Admissions Team will be in contact if they need further information or documentation.
Central Queensland University login
The login is the access point on the university site portal through which the prospective and existing students can access into or navigate the site. It contain on its interface, a username and password box for the students to login with. This is available strictly for prospective students who have been offered admission into CQUniversity and the existing students.
Central Queensland University metropolitan campuses
The University, in addition to its current location, operates three major metropolitan campuses which carry out part of its academic activities and programs for both domestic and international students. The campuses are in Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney.
Central Queensland University Melbourne
The campus is positioned at 120 Spencer Street adjacent to Southern Cross Station and easily reachable by a number of tram routes running along Spencer, Bourke and Collins streets. The student community is strong and inclusive, with friendly faculty and professional staff offering a supportive learning environment.
Melbourne is one of Australia’s most vibrant and cosmopolitan cities. It is a truly international city with world-renowned landmarks, high-fashion boutiques, cafe-filled laneways, film and food festivals, major sporting events, art exhibitions and performing arts productions.
The new CQUniversity Melbourne Campus opened its doors in Term 2 2015, featuring new open learning spaces, and a range of classroom and computer labs equipped with best-practice audio visual equipment for teaching and tutorials.
Central Queensland University Brisbane
CQUniversity Brisbane is located in the heart of the central business district, just a short walk from Central train station which is a great place to study due to its accessibility. The campus which was refurbished in 2017 comprises nine floors of modern facilities and will offer you a fresh learning environment from which to pursue your academic interests.
The campus is student-focused, with areas dedicated to student relaxation, providing a great space for relaxation and social interaction or catch-ups between classes.
CQUniversity Brisbane is also within easy walking distance of the Brisbane Arcade, Queen Street Mall, picturesque Botanic Gardens, the State Library of Queensland, Queensland Performing Arts complex and Southbank Parklands.
Central Queensland University Sydney
CQUniversity Sydney is located on Kent Street in the heart of the city. It is easily accessible being just a five-minute walk to Town Hall station. With over 2000 students, CQUniversity Sydney is the campus with the largest student population.
It has many study areas filled with lots of natural light, making it very conducive for self-study and group work on the campus. You can enjoy the diverse and vibrant campus life or take a short stroll to downtown amenities and attractions such as Darling Harbour.
Sydney is located around what many regard as the most beautiful harbour in the world. Framed by the iconic Sydney Harbour Bridge and the stunning Opera House, this natural wonder provides a spectacular backdrop to activities as varied as sailing, fishing and fine dining.
Central Queensland University Fees
The tuition fee, along with other sundry fees at Central Queensland University is strictly dependent on the program and course applied for and it differs for domestic and international students. To access the fees and its detailed breakdown, click on the Central Queensland University tuition fee site
Central Queensland University IELTS Requirement
IELTS is an English language test program which is jointly owned by British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia and Cambridge English Language Assessment are taken in more than 1000 test centres and locations in over 140 countries. The program is taken at the main campus of Central Queensland University and other study centres around the country. Here is the location and fee for the ongoing IELTS program scheduled on 1st August till 1st September 2018;
Rockhampton: From 1 August 2018, all IELTS tests booked for a test date conducted from 1 September 2018 will be charged at the new price of AU $340.
Mackay: AU $500 (AU $160 surcharge for delivering test off-site).
Bundaberg: AU $500 (AU $160 surcharge for delivering test off-site).
Results are posted to you 13 days after the test date. Results will not be given over the phone, by e-mail or in person. Results will not be released prior to being mailed. However, you can check results online 13 days after the test date.
For all the background information and practice materials you need to prepare for an IELTS test, please refer to the IELTSEssentials website. We also provide an ‘information for candidates’ booklet when you register. This also contains information and test tips.
Cancellation of IELTS Test
Candidates who request (in writing) to cancel their registration before the five-week deadline has passed may apply for a refund. However, an AU$88.00 (GST Inclusive) Administration Fee will be deducted.
Candidates who request to cancel their registration after the five-week deadline has passed will receive no refund.
IELTS Test Date Transfer
Candidates may request (in writing) to transfer their registration to another test date before the five-week deadline has passed. A fee of AU$22.00 will apply.
Candidates who request to transfer their registration to another test date after the five-week deadline has passed will receive no refund.
IELTS Test Exemptions
Candidates who seek to cancel their registration or transfer test dates after the five-week deadline has passed will only receive a refund if they provide documentary evidence to satisfy the IELTS Administrator that their ability to sit the test has been affected by serious cause like;
- Serious illness (hospital admission or serious injury, not minor illnesses such as a cold)
- Loss or bereavement (death of a close family member)
- Hardship or trauma (victim of crime or a traffic accident)
- Military service
If you are unhappy with your test result, you can apply for a re-mark. Requests for re-marks must be submitted within 6 weeks following your test date.
- Download and fill in the Enquiry on results form.
- Submit your payment online (AU$185).
- Post the original copy of your Test Report Form to the Rockhampton test centre
Contacts for IELTS Test at Central Queensland University
CQUniversity English Language Centre
Building 11, Bruce Highway, Rockhampton QLD 4702
Phone: +61 7 4930 9790
Email: [email protected]
Office hours: Tuesday to Friday 8.30 am to 4.30 pm
Central Queensland University IRON Program
Initial Registration for Overseas Nurses (IRON) program is a bridging nursing by the Australian government which aims to enhance nursing skills of program for immigrant current and qualified health professionals to adhere to Australian standards.
It is a graduate certificate program in Nursing (International Registered Nurse Entry) that will enable you to develop advanced knowledge and skills that will allow you to work as a Registered Nurse in Australia.
The IRON program is designed to further build on existing cultural, theoretical, practical and research knowledge. The health practitioner is graduate work-ready upon completion of this compulsory residential school and work integrated learning.
Features of Iron Program
- It is a short 10-12 week program that overseas nurses can undertake and easily get their registrations rather than going for a 1-2 year bachelor or master course.
- This program enables to get your registration as a nurse in Australia.
- It also equips you with the skills and knowledge that are required for nursing health force.
- You get better employability chances after doing this program
- It also serves as an initial, stable and secure pathway to PR.
If you’ve completed a Registered Nursing qualification overseas and you’re looking to practice as a Registered Nurse in Australia, the Graduate Certificate in Nursing (International Registered Nurse Entry) could be for you. Vital Information on the program is as follows;
- Study modes On-Campus, Online
- Units/credits 3/24
- Availability Cairns, Online Study
- Duration 5 year full-time, 1 year part-time
- Intake dates March, July, November
This course will be closed for enrolment when the maximum number of enrolments of 32 per term is reached.
Upon completion of the Graduate Certificate in Nursing (International Registered Nurse Entry), the health worker will be eligible to apply for Nursing registration with the Australian Health Practitioners Regulation Agency (AHPRA).
Once registration has been achieved, the individual can choose and pursue his career in the health profession in any of these roles;
- Public and private hospitals
- General health services
- Mental health
- Community health
- Residential care
- Indigenous health
- Remote and rural health.
Other important requirement for IRON Program
- The candidate is required to complete three compulsory units. Student visa holders must complete the course full-time, on campus. Other visa holders or permanent residents may complete the course part-time, via distance education.
- The candidate will be required to complete 240 hours of work integrated learning after week 12.
- The applicant must have to complete a five-day residential school prior to attending work integrated learning. The location of the residential school will be determined in consideration of space availability and may occur in Cairns, Noosa or Rockhampton.
- If you have already completed study relevant to the course you have enrolled in, you may be eligible for credit transfer.
- A Fee of AU$12,480 which do not cover additional costs such as textbooks, accommodation, visa applications, OSHC, general living etc.
Academic Requirement for Iron Program
To be eligible to enrol in this course,
- You must first apply to the Australian Health Practitioners Regulation Agency for registration in Australia (AHPRA). AHPRA will assess your application and determine your eligibility to work as a registered nurse. If you are not found to be immediately eligible for registration you may be referred to an Entry Program for Internationally Qualified Registered Nurses (EPIQ RN). The Graduate Certificate in Nursing (International Registered Nurse Entry) is an EPIQ RN.
- Applicants must be referred by the AHPRA/NMBA to undertake an “NMBA-approved bridging program of study”. A copy of this referral must be supplied with your application. NMBA/AHPRA referrals have an expiry date, therefore, applicants are responsible for ensuring they have sufficient time to complete the course (including clinical placement).
- AHPRA requires an academic International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or equivalent, with a minimum achievement of 7.0 across all bands. At the discretion of the Head of Course, students may be referred to an internal English short course at their own expense.
- To secure an offer of enrolment you must provide evidence that you have met the mandatory pre-WIL Compulsory Conditions. Students who cannot meet these requirements by census date will be disqualified from the course and may incur an academic financial penalty.
English Language Requirement for Iron Program
The candidate must meet the relevant standard for English Language proficiency in Australia to qualify for the program.
- Minimum academic IELTS score of 7.0 across all bands and overall.
- IELTS (7 overall with no band lower than 7)
- OET (Minimum grade of B in all bands)
- PTE (65 overall with a minimum score of 65 in each component)
- TOEFL (94 overall with a minimum score of 24 in reading, 24 in listening, 27 in writing and 23 in speaking)
For any of the above test, within 6 months of the duration of first exam, results can be combined from two sittings if the minimum score for the specific test is reached. For e.g.: for IELTS a minimum score of 6.5 in a single specific module will still see you through as long the score is compensated with a band 7 score in a subsequent test in the same module that is taken within the next 6 months of the first test.
Entry Requirement for Iron Program
- Evidence of current registration as a registered nurse in a country other than Australia
- A letter of referral from the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) to study an approved bridging program in Australia.
- In addition to above requirements, participants should also demonstrate recency of practice and clear criminal history for getting admission in IRON program
- Participants must have at least 450 hours or 3 months of experience in last 5 years.
- If you do not have this experience than you may not be able to do the IRON program and must do Bachelor or master of nursing in Australia. After completing this you will be able to register yourself as a nurse.
- Participants should also have a clear criminal history record in every country where they have lived for more than 6 months for any purpose, i.e. holidays, practice, etc.
- Applicants do not need to do the provide police check for Australia as AHPRA does it for applicants. But they do need to provide for other countries.
- All the candidates willing to study IRON program in Australia will get either visitor visa or a student visa.
Central Queensland University International Student Scholarship
The CQU International Student Scholarship is open to all new international undergraduate and postgraduate coursework students who meet the academic criteria at CQUniversity Australia. The Scholarship rewards successful applicants with a 20 per cent reduction in tuition fees for the duration of their studies and subject to meeting terms and conditions.
International Student Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
All International Student Scholarship recipients are governed by these terms and conditions.
- The Student Scholarship is awarded, at the discretion of the University, to exceptional international students, undertaking on-campus, and full-time degree study at CQUniversity Australia.
- The International Student Scholarship is only available to students applying for undergraduate or postgraduate coursework.
- The International Student Scholarship is only available for full degree courses (full bachelor or masters only).
- The International Student Scholarship is only available to students new to CQUniversity Australia – it is not available to students who are currently studying at CQUniversity Australia. Students currently studying at CQUniversity and applying for Change of Course will also not be eligible for the International Student Scholarship.
- The International Student Scholarship is not available in conjunction with any other CQUniversity Australia scholarship.
- The International Student Scholarship is not available to any student who has been given entrance to CQUniversity Australia based on work experience.
- The International Student Scholarship is not transferable to a third party or redeemable for cash.
- The International Student Scholarship is calculated and applied on a per term basis.
The International Student Scholarship remains valid whilst the recipient:
- remains enrolled in full-time study in compulsory terms at CQUniversity Australia; and
- remains enrolled in the course listed on their Letter of Offer; and
- pays all tuition and additional fees/costs in accordance with CQUniversity Australia policy; ensuring tuition fees are paid in full by census date each term
- Meets the conditions of their student visa.
The International Student Scholarship will discontinue if the student named on the Letter of Offer:
- has overdue tuition fees and/or outstanding debts after census date of each term
- has a MAP 3 condition on their enrolment
- Graduates from their nominated course; or cancels their enrolment, or has their enrolment cancelled at CQUniversity Australia.
Other information on the scholarship
If an international student cancels their studies at CQUniversity prior to the completion of their studies as per their Letter of Offer and COE and/or, if an international student transfers to a different Education Provider, the international student must repay the International Student Scholarship fees for each term that was completed.
Fees owing may be deducted from any refund that is payable by the University or an invoice for the amount of Scholarship deducted for each relevant term prior to the request for cancellation will be sent to the student for payment.
- The International Student Scholarship may be withdrawn with 10 days’ written notice, should the recipient breach any of these terms and conditions.
- The International Student Scholarship and the International Student Scholarship – Regional is not available to international students undertaking the Bachelor of Aviation (Commercial Pilot).
- You must provide all certified or original translated completion certificates and academic transcripts to enable an assessment of your application.
- You must apply for the International Student Scholarship when you apply for your undergraduate or postgraduate course at the same time through our online system iStart.
- You will be able to monitor the status and outcome of your application through the system as well.
Applying and obtaining an Australian student visa
In order to study in Australia, you will need to obtain an Australian student visa. You must be able to meet the following key Australian student visa requirements:
- Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement( interview to show intention of stay in Australia)
- All international students apply for the same visa: the Student Visa (Subclass 500), which you must apply for online.
- Before applying for a visa, you’ll need to obtain a Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) or a Letter of Offer
- Pay the visa application fee, and perhaps attend an interview.
- Financial requirements: Evidence of sufficient funds to cover tuition, travel and living costs. Alternatively, you can show evidence that your spouse or parents are willing to support you.
- English proficiency requirement: If you’re not from an English-speaking country (and haven’t completed at least five years’ study in an English-speaking country) you’ll need to prove you can speak English to the required level.
- Health requirements: Some students may be asked to take a medical and/or a radiological check-up to show they’re in good health (this applies, for example, to those who intend to train as a doctor, dentist or nurse).
Except those from Belgium or Norway, all students are obliged to purchase Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).
Students from Sweden who have purchased health insurance through Kammarkollegiet will not need to purchase OSHC. Belgian and Norwegian students are also not required to purchase OSHC as part of their visa requirements.
- Character requirements: Australian student visa requirements stipulate you must be of good character to enter Australia. This includes a criminal record check, to make sure you don’t have a substantial criminal record. You may also need to acquire a penal clearance certificate (or police certificate) or get a police statement, and may be asked to complete a Character Statutory Declaration Form.
The Department of Home Affairs website has a document checklist feature that will provide you with a list of documents required for submission which includes;
- Completed Australian student visa application form (157A)
- Paid visa application fee – currently AU$560 (~US$430) in most cases
- Copy of passport bio data page (some students may be asked to physically provide their passport)
- Certificate of Enrolment or Letter of Offer
- Evidence of sufficient funds
- Evidence of health insurance cover
- English proficiency test results
- Criminal record check results
- Four recent passport-sized photographs
After you have assembled and scanned your supporting documents, you’ll need to create an account and apply with the online ImmiAccount application system.
Most visa applications take four weeks to process. If you study in Australia for a course that is longer than 10 months and finishes at the end of an Australian academic year (usually mid-December) your visa will usually be valid until 15 March the following year.
If your course is longer than 10 months and finishes in January to October, your visa will usually be valid for two months following the completion of your course.
Facts you need to know about Australia
You Need a Visa
To study in Australia for more than three months, you will need a visa. The process for applying is fairly easy. It’s all done online and it is virtually linked to your passport
You May Need to Get Health Insurance
Make sure to research into this. If you are going on a study abroad program, it may be included, but if you are studying directly with a university, chances are you’ll be required to get health insurance in Australia.
Think Carefully About Where You Want to Study
There are a lot of different kinds of places in Australia for you to choose from on your study abroad trip. Do you prefer city or rural? Do you want to spend all your free time at the beach?
Australia is Expensive
Sydney and Melbourne regularly make the top ten lists of the world’s most expensive cities. From housing to groceries, prepare to experience some sticker shock and make sure to have a good chunk of change saved.
The Seasons are flipped!
If you are going to Australia in the northern hemisphere’s summer, for example, you’ll be flying straight into winter. And despite the images of sunshine and beaches that may be swimming in your head, if you are studying in one of the big cities in the south (like Sydney or Melbourne) it WILL get cold. Make sure you pack accordingly.
Australia is Huge
The “Australian dream” for many includes the Great Barrier Reef, Uluru and the Outback, the Sydney Opera House, and so much more. But to come to Australia expecting to see all this and more is likely a fantasy, unless you have a lot of time and money to burn. Wherever you are studying, there are surely plenty of amazing things nearby, and you can probably swing one big trip, but manage your expectations about seeing the whole country.
Make an Effort to Study Up on the Country.
Speaking of stereotyping — make sure you read up about Australia before you set out to study abroad there. For example, what is the capital of Australia? Canberra! Impress your host country citizens by knowing a bit more than the average Joe, don’t be an ugly American!
Regardless of which study abroad program you select, you will most certainly get a feel for Australia’s infamous laidback attitude, appreciation for nature, and overall contagious good vibes.
The Grading System is Different
If you’re going to be receiving Australian grades, it’s worth looking into what they mean! A “D” is in fact a pretty good grade! Most Australian universities use HD (High Distinction), D (Distinction), C (Credit), P (Pass), and F (Fail) as their grading system.
You May be Able to Work While you’re in Australia
Remember that really expensive student visa you had to pay for? Well, you can earn that money back! The typical study visa in Oz will allow you to work a certain amount of hours each week. Considering the high minimum wage in Australia, it may well be worth it.
Open a Bank Account
If you’re spending a semester or more in Australia, it may well be worth opening an Australian bank account. You can avoid the ridiculous fees you would likely face drawing out money with your home bank and some Australian bank accounts actually have a decent interest rate. This would be especially useful if you did decide to take on some part time work.
Know the Official (and Unofficial) Rules of the Road
There’s a pretty good chance you might end up renting a car at some point while you’re abroad. First, of course, you should know that Aussies drive on the left side of the road. Watch out for traffic cameras everywhere.
We recommend other scholarship opportunities.
Does this article meet your immediate needs? If yes, click the SHARE button to share with your friends. If no, leave a response on the comment box to express your concern or ask question and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Do you want to study abroad? One of the great places in the world for quality study pursuit is the Central Queensland University Australia,here you will get information on its Admission, Ranking, Scholarships, Courses offered and Fees