British Council International Language and Development Conference 2017 Dakar, Senegal : Call for Papers
Submission Deadline: May 19th 2017
The International Language and Development Conferences have been held every two years since 1993. They bring together professionals and researchers who are interested in the roles that languages play in development around the world. The conferences address
issues concerning global, regional, national, dominant and non-dominant languages in relation to human, cultural and economic development, language policy and education.
The 12th biennial international Language and Development Conference will be hosted by the British Council and its partners in Dakar, Senegal, from 27th to 29th November 2017, and is the third one to be convened in sub-Saharan Africa.
The British Council will be hosting the conference in partnership with the Senegal Ministry of Higher Education and Research, the Senegal Ministry of National Education, the Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa (CODESRIA), UNESCO,SOAS University of London, and SIL Africa, along with other partners.
Language is one of the defining features of our species; yet when it comes to international and local development discourse, language is often left on the periphery. We know, however, that language as a cross-cutting issue is inextricably tied to all aspects of human development. Development is about sharing experiences and ideas to find better ways of working together as humans, and thus the languages of initiative, of education, of trade,
of creative expression, of justice and of peacebuilding, are so crucial to sustainable development.
In September 2015, the United Nations adopted the new Sustainable Development Goals
(SDGs). Two years on, this 12th Language and Development Conference will provide a timely opportunity for the role of language to be explored in achieving the senew ambitious, universal and sustainable development goals and targets.
The conference will therefore be structured around three sub-themes:
- Multilingualism for Quality, Equitable and Inclusive Education
- Language, Skills and Sustainable Economic Growth
- Communication, Peace and Justice
- It is expected that up to 300 speakers and delegates will participate in the conference, coming from Senegal, other African countries and around the world.
- The conference will bring together policy makers, development professionals, the NGO sector, private sector, artists and creative industry representatives, researchers, and all those with a perspective on and experience in the role of language in society.
Guidelines for submission of abstracts
- Proposals for papers and other types of presentation should be submitted in either English or French on the proposal form and sent to LDC2017@britishcouncil.sn by 19th May 2017.
- Proposal forms will be available at www.britishcouncil.com.sn/en/programmes/language-development-conference-2017 Potential presenters must submit:
- An abstract of your presentation of up to 300 words
- A short biography of the presenter (or presenters) of up to 50 words
- If appropriate, indicate whether the abstract is based on ongoing or completed research
- Ensure that the context of your abstract is clear, such as the country or region of focus, the level of education addressed, the type of research etc.
- We encourage authors to have their abstract proof-read before submission.
- Please avoid using an overly long title for your presentation.
Criteria for selection
- The selection of proposals will be made by the Conference Programme Committee.
- In order to be considered for selection in the conference programme, proposals must meet the following criteria:
- Relevance, showing a clear link to the central conference theme and chosen sub-theme
- Clarity, coherence and organisation
- Potential for audience interaction/involvement.
- Conference Programme
Committee decisions on the selection of abstracts will be communicated to presenters
by 30th June 2017
- English and French will be used throughout the conference.
- Proposals can be submitted in either of the conference languages, and speakers must specify their preferred language for delivery of the session.
- Ideally, presentations should be made in one of the two conference languages, and their visual support (PowerPoint slides or handout) in both conference languages.
- If presenters choose to deliver in a language other than English or French, the organisers will make every effort to find an interpreter.
- An edited selection of the most significant plenary and parallel presentations will be published by the British Council in 2018. It will join the comprehensive publications from the eleven previous conferences which are available for download from the websites of the Language and Development Conferences ( www.langdevconferences.org)
- Deadline for submissions: 19th May 2017
- Notification of acceptance will be communicated by: 30th June 2017
- Deadline for presenters to register and confirm their participation : 22 nd September 2017
- The conference: 27th – 29th November 2017
For More Information: