Bitch Media Organization is delighted to invite applications for the Bitch Media Fellowships for Writers. The program is a series of three-month intensive writing fellowships which goal is to develop, support, and amplify emerging, diverse voices in feminist, activist, and pop-culture media.The fellowship is designed for writers who want to develop confident, well-rounded voices and are particularly interested in feminist criticism and mission-driven journalism.Bitch Media’s mission is to provide and encourage an engaged, thoughtful response to mainstream media and pop culture, and also to encourage people to consider feminism as a necessary part of the broader social justice movement.The fellows will receive a $2,000 stipend for the three-month fellowship (total $8,000).
Bitch Media is a nonprofit, independent, feminist media organization dedicated to providing and encouraging an engaged, thoughtful feminist response to mainstream media and popular culture.Bitch Media publishes the award-winning magazine Bitch: Feminist Response to Pop Culture, daily online articles and opinions, weekly podcasts, and offer lectures and workshops around the world through Bitch on Campus.
- Fellows can be located anywhere in the world, or at least anywhere with access to email and Skype.
- There is no set age limit.
- If you are a writer who has minimal publication experience, they strongly encourage you to apply.
- If you are passionate about one of the above subject areas but do not have a history of writing or blogging about them, they strongly encourage you to apply.
- If you are a writer still figuring out what subjects obsess you, they strongly encourage you to apply.
- Fellows may be based globally, and U.S. citizenship or residence is not required to be a fellow. Writers who have contributed to Bitch before will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
How to Apply:
To apply for the MediaFellowship, the applicant must submit online application by creating an account through the given link: https://bitchmedia.submittable.com/submit
Financial Aid and Award Money:
Fellows will work in one of four subject areas during the fellowship period:
- Reproductive rights & justice
- Pop-culture criticism
- Global feminism
During the 3-month fellowships, the fellows will:
- Receive a $2,000 stipend for the three-month fellowship (each subject areas).
- Produce a minimum of six online articles for Bitch Media in the topic area of their fellowship. These pieces can take a variety of forms: reported, analytical, advocacy-focused, even infographic, and are least 600 words in length.
- Produce at least one long-form article to be published in the quarterly magazine Bitch: Feminist Response to Pop Culture.
- Participate in bi-weekly discussions (by phone or Skype if fellows cannot meet in person) with the fellowship director and other members of the Bitch Media staff.
- Receive mentorship and support in creating, shaping, and editing articles and blog posts.
- Receive follow-up support with placing future articles and essays, and make great connections within the feminist media
- Have access to the Bitch Media Library, which houses more than 2,000 books on feminist theory and activism, gender, race, and queer studies, pop-culture criticism, and social justice
Applications for the 2018 bitch media fellowships for writers will be open from July 17 through August 31, 2017. (Applicants may apply for a fellowship in more than one area, but must submit separate applications for each.)
Fellows will work with Bitch Media during one of the following four quarters:
- January 1 – March 30
- April 1 – June 30
- July 1 – September 30
- October 1 – December 31
Link for More Information: