SHARE TO HELP SOMEONE WIN A SCHOLARSHIP TODAY!
The Because I love you scholarship is a poetry scholarship sponsored by the One Love Foundation.
The One Love Foundation has invited good poets to make applications for the Because I Love You Scholarship Slam.
Anyone who will be attending college or university in U.S. is welcome to apply. Applicants must be maximum 25 years of age. Entries must be received by November.
“Everyone deserves to have healthy relationships — whether it’s with a significant other or a friend. Healthy relationships are ones that bring out the best in you. They build you up, not bring you down.
But oftentimes, we are not taught about the signs of a healthy relationship vs. an unhealthy relationship. And the words “Because I Love You” can turn from endearing to manipulative (ex. Because I love you…you should bail on your friends / give me all your passwords). So we’re curious to know…” – Power Poetry.
The aim of the scholarship is to know what the relationship behaviors the applicants believe to be the cornerstones to a healthy, happy relationship. Whether it is open communication, having trust in your significant other or friend, being able to be honest with each other or showing respect or compassion.
It also asks the question “How has your life been impacted by healthy or unhealthy relationships?” You are required to state in a poem what healthy relationship behaviors are most important to you and what the words #BecauseILoveYou should really mean.
The winner will be announced three to five months after the scholarship has ended—typically there are more than 5,000 entries per Scholarship Slam!
When a decision has been, the winner will be contacted, the winning entry will be highlighted on their official site, an announcement will be made on Facebook and Twitter, and an email will be sent.
Level/Field of Study:
To be Eligible you must be enrolled into any College or University and High school in any field of study
The Scholarship is hosted in United States of America
Winners of the Because I Love you Scholarship go home with $1,000 each and other prizes too.
You must be 25 years or younger and a current or former student who will attend or is attending college within the United States
No restrictions (just meet the above requirements)
November ending, yearly
Click here to apply
Some Frequently Asked Questions About The Because I Love You Scholarship and Answers
- How old does one need to be to enter?You must be between 13 and 25 years old at the time of submission/entry.
- Do I necessarily have to be a U.S. citizen to be eligible?No, but you have to have attended or be attending high school in the United States. If you’re already in college, you must be enrolled in a United States college.
- If I’m not in college yet, will the scholarship be withheld until I go to college?Yes, your scholarship will not be awarded until you enroll in college.
- I’m already a graduate student (or will be a graduate student soon). Can I still apply?Yes! Graduate students are welcome to apply, as long as they are under age 25 at the time of submission.
- Can I use profanities when writing my poem?There are no language restrictions on Power Poetry (including profanities) for its scholarship slams, or otherwise.
- Can I submit a poem in a foreign language?Yes you can, as long as you include an English (translated) version.
- How many poems can I submit to scholarship slams at once?Just Each user can only submit one poem for each scholarship slam. And if it is found out that you submitted more than one, you’ll be disqualified from the contest. (However you can submit as many poems as you’d like on their website)
- Can I submit a poem I’ve already written on Power Poetry or a poem that’s been published elsewhere?You are allowed to use a poem you have already written (on Power Poetry and elsewhere), but it is preferable for poets to illustrate change and growth by submitting new or updated works.
- Are there a minimum (or maximum) number of words I need in my poem to apply for a scholarship?No! Just make sure your poem is well developed and organized and that you’re content with it.
- My poem’s line breaks aren’t showing up.How do I separate the lines? You have to use Mozilla or Google Chrome. If you’re still having issues, try pasting your poem into a program that removes MSWord formatting (like TextWrangler or Notepad).
- How will the winner be picked?The most captivating poem will be picked as the winner. You can click here to see some of the past winners from previous Because I Love You Scholarship
- What happens if I win, but I don’t know where I’m going to college yet? The money will be withheld until you enroll in college–and will be sent it once you have proof of enrollment.
- When and how will you announce the winner?Winners will be announced three to five months after the scholarship has ended—the Because I Love You Scholarship usually has more than 5,000 entries per Scholarship Slam! When the organizers have made their decision, they will contact the winner, highlight the winning entry on their site, make an announcement on their Facebook and Twitter, and send out an announcement email to the winner.
- Who owns the poems I post on PowerPoetry.org?The Poems you post are yours as they’ll be credited to you.
- Can I submit my poem to PowerPoetry.organd another website? Yes you can! However it will be checked for plagiarism, so be sure to notify it in the comments section. If anything looks weird, you will be reached out to you for more information.
- Does my poem need to include an image or video?No, not unless you were specifically asked to do so in the scholarship slam description. However, you are encouraged to combine multimedia with your poetry. Poems are not just meant to be read, you know!