Applications are currently accepted at the Association of Independents in Radio (AIR) for the AIR’s New Voices Scholarships. The Scholarships are available for those who can contribute fresh craft, diversity or perspective to the network and media.The scholarship provides bold, new talent with funding for travel and attendance to the 2017 Third Coast Conference in Chicago, Nov. 9-11, where they will find a peer support network, opportunities to meet industry leaders, and chances to share their interests, concerns, and work.
AIR will award up to $1,500 per individual. Scholars will receive coaching, professional development support, and structured networking with leaders in the industry. If selected, you’ll attend the 2017 Third Coast Conference, Nov. 9-11 in Chicago, Illinois.
Association of Independents in Radio (AIR Inc.) was founded in 1988 by 10 independent radio producers at a kitchen table on Murray Street in New York City. Each year, AIR teams up with the Third Coast International Audio Festival to identify and cultivate a diverse roster of early-career talent to help programs, stations, and networks connect with more ears, homes, and corners of America.
To be considered, you must:
- Be based in the U.S. or its territories. You do not need to be a U.S. citizen.
- If you are under 18 years of age, you will need to have an adult sponsor who is willing to manage the funds.
- AIR membership is not required to apply.
- The applicant will be required to attend a New Voice listening session and other conference activities as well as to work a shift at the AIR conference booth.
- All producers and program makers who self-identify as part of an underrepresented group(s) are eligible to apply.
- The focus of the Third Coast Conference is radio/audio, but they welcome applicants from the full range of disciplines and practices.
- All ages are welcome, but any applicant younger than 18 will need an adult sponsor to sign off on his or her application and handle funds.
How to Apply:
To apply, the applicant must submit online application through the given link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSer_uKWLgx5HwMrQnB_7rNNY5gfm-kN-n-fIJdaaZXELmfA5Q/viewform?c=0&w=1
If you are chosen to be one of our New Voices – congratulations! After the conference will be asked to submit an invoice for the amount you were awarded, along with a brief (750‑ to 1,000-word) report about your experiences and ideas for how innovative audio and multimedia producers can take public media into new communities and expand public media’s audience.
Financial Aid and Award Money:
- The scholarship provides individual stipends ranging from $500 to $1,500.
- The cost varies, based on your geography, but we generally estimate the cost, depending on your travel cost and hotel choice.
- New Voices scholars will receive coaching, professional development support, and structured networking with leaders in the industry,
- The applicant will join the robust New Voices alumni network of more than 160 journalists with diverse backgrounds, craft, and experience.
- All New Voices Scholars are required to attend and participate fully in the 2017 Third Coast Conference in Chicago, Illinois.
The 2017 AIR’s New Voices scholarships application deadline to apply is Friday, June 30, 2017, at 5 p.m. Pacific Time.Scholarship recipients will notify no later than July 28th.
Link for More Information:
If you have any questions, contact program director Tran Vu at tran-at-airmedia.org.