Entries are invited at the Julia Blixrud, the Association of Research Libraries (ARL) Organization for the Julia C. Blixrud Scholarship.The Scholarship is aimed to sponsor students currently pursuing or a graduate of a masters degree program in library and information science (MLIS). The ARL influences the changing environment of scholarly communication and the public policies that affect research libraries and the diverse communities they serve.The award recipient will receive a scholarship of $1,000 plus registration to attend the Fall Forum.The award covers the registration fee for the ARL Fall Forum.
The Association of Research Libraries (ARL) is a nonprofit membership organization of 123 research libraries in the US and Canada representing universities, public libraries, and special libraries. The Association was established at a meeting in Chicago in December 1932, by the directors of 42 major university and research libraries that recognized the need for coordinated action and desired a forum to address common problems.
The current master of library and information science (MLIS) students or graduate students, who are within two years of graduation, are eligible to apply.
How to Apply:
To apply, the applicant must complete the online application form, and upload your essay or visualization along with your resume(CV). The link i: http://arl.formstack.com/forms/jcbfund_application_2017
All applicants must submit the following documents:
- An original essay (400 words maximum) or visualization (e.g., a three-minute video or an infographic) on the topic of the 2017 ARL Fall Forum. ARL reserves the right to distribute all submissions using a Creative Commons license.
- A résumé or CV that demonstrates a strong interest in the area addressed by the Fall Forum.
- A letter of reference/recommendation from a supervisor and/or professor nominating the applicant for the Julia C. Blixrud Scholarship that (a) speaks to the applicant’s potential to contribute to the profession and (b) explicitly states the applicant’s current status as a student or recent professional who graduated within the last two years.
Your letter of recommendation must be on letterhead, signed, and emailed directly from a supervisor or professor to JCBfund-at-arl.org.
Financial Aid and Award Money:
The award covers the registration fee for the ARL Fall Forum and provides a scholarship of $1,000 to help offset the costs of travel to and attendance at the Fall Forum.
The scholarship awardee will:
- Attend the ARL Fall Forum.
- Actively use social media to communicate about the Fall Forum during the event and write a summary of her/his participation to be published by ARL after the event.
The successful applicant will:
- Be a current master of library and information science (MLIS) student or a graduate who is within two years of graduation.
- Exhibit evidence of being a creative thinker who is passionate about the topic of the ARL Fall Forum. The theme of the 2017 Fall Forum is “Libraries and the Research Enterprise.”
- Demonstrate strong potential to contribute to the profession.
The applications are due to ARL on Monday, July 10, 2017, by 11:59 p.m. eastern daylight time.
Link for More Information:
If you have questions about the scholarship or application process, e-mail JCBfund-at-arl.org.