IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration is accepting application for Internship at the Migration Policy Research Division. The Migration Policy Research Division is responsible for supporting IOM’s worldwide efforts in developing and conducting policy-oriented migration research, as well as implementing its own research projects in order to inform program delivery and policy development.
The intern will work under the overall guidance and general supervision of the head of the Research Division and work closely with colleagues in the Division. The intern will have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Assist with desk-based research tasks and related research assistance to support authors in the preparation of research papers and reports for publication on a range of migration topics, including for the World Migration Report.
- Assist in the coordination of the Syndicate, including in relation to the preparation of workshops, the commissioning of papers and the input of leading migration researchers.
- Assist with the preparation of regular contributions for the research section of IOM’s website and IOM’s intranet.
- Assist in the development of research project documentation, such as concept notes, project proposals, donor agreements and project reporting.
- Assist with the preparation and conduct of the migration expert speaker series in HQ.
- Respond to internal and external research queries.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
A monthly stipend will be paid.
Depending on experience and location, IOM provides a small monthly stipend to help offset costs; please consider the cost of living in Geneva prior to applying.
Advanced degree from an accredited academic institution in a field of study related to migration or other relevant social sciences (e.g. humanitarian affairs, development studies, political science, international relations or a related field), or the equivalent combination of work experience in a related area.
The intern will have the following demonstrable skills:
• Strong understanding of migration issues;
• Excellent research, writing, communication and analytical skills, including a record of publishing on aspects of migration;
• Good level of computer literacy;
• Strong organizational skills;
• Ability to understand the Organization’s structure and portfolios;
• Ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team of colleagues of varied cultural and
• Proven ability to produce quality work accurately and concisely according to set deadlines;
• Practical experience of how to multi-task, prioritize and work independently.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
• Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
• Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs
Eligible Regions: International Opportunity
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 08 March 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement. Applications must consist of a cover letter and personal CV or resume (as an attachment to application).
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
Application Deadline: March 8, 2017 (3 Days Remaining)