The American Legion Baseball Scholarship
The American Legion is pleased to announce the Baseball Scholarship to those students who have graduated from high school. The purpose of the program is to offers a chance to pay for college and school expenses through scholarship. American Legion Baseball is one of the nation’s most successful amateur athletic programs, educating young people about the importance of sportsmanship, citizenship, and fitness. Each department winner will receive a scholarship from The American Legion of $500 or more.The scholarship may be used to attend a school selected by the student, provided it is state accredited and above the high school level.
The American Legion is a nonpartisan, not-for-profit organization with great political influence perpetuated by its grass-roots involvement in the legislation process from local districts to Capitol Hill. Legionnaires’ sense of obligation to community, state, and nation drives an honest advocacy for veterans in Washington.
- Have graduated from high school
- Be on a current roster (American Legion National
- Baseball Electronic Registration Form) filed with National Headquarters.
- Applicants must be a part of a team affiliated with an American Legion Post.
How to Apply:
In order to apply, the candidate may download application through the given link: https://www.legion.org/documents/baseball/baseball_scholarship.pdf
- Attach a copy of his official high school transcript.
- Have three letters of recommendation and testimony attached to the application:
- Three letters of testimony must be attached to the nomination form.
- Attach a one-page letter of recommendation from your: (1) Legion coach or team manager (2) American Legion post commander or adjutant (3) Community leader, (i.e. teacher, minister, Scout leader, church leader, principal)
- Certification form
Financial Aid and Award Money:
- The Department Baseball scholarship winners shall be considered for The American Legion All-Academic Team sponsored by Diamond Sports, the official baseball for American Legion national tournaments.
- Eight players selected by a scholarship selection committee at The American Legion World Series will receive an additional $2,500 scholarship.
- A ninth player, selected as the most outstanding member of the All-Academic Team, will be awarded an additional $5,000 scholarship.
- Scholarship recipients will be eligible to receive their scholarships immediately upon graduation from an accredited high school.
- Scholarship winners must utilize the total award within eight (8) years of their graduation date, excluding active military duty.
- The scholarship may be used to attend a school selected by the student, provided it is state accredited and above the high school level.
- The American Legion’s national treasurer will make a disbursement from the scholarship fund jointly to the student and the school at the beginning of each semester.
- Each department winner will receive a scholarship from The American Legion of $500 or more.
The scholarship application must be postmarked and mailed to the department headquarters no later than July 15, 2017.
Link for More Information: