Press Partners Fellowship 2019
Press Partners Fellowship 2019 is a Fellowship designed for Journalist. The Press Partners Fellowship covers all costs of program-related international and domestic U.S. travel, health insurance and provides a monthly stipend to cover basic living expenses.
World scholarship forum being the best scholarship portal in the world have decided to update information on how to apply for Press Partners Fellowship 2019.
About the Sponsor: Alfred Friendly Foundation
The Alfred Friendly Foundation is an American nonprofit foundation that awards Alfred Friendly Press Fellowships to journalists from nations in the developing world. The program is offered annually to approximately ten professional print journalists between the ages of 25 and 35, giving them a six-month, in-depth, practical introduction to the professional and ethical standards of the U.S. print media.
The Alfred Friendly Press fellowships were created in 1984 by Alfred Friendly, a Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter and former managing editor of the Washington Post. Convinced that healthy democracies need strong, free media, Friendly conceived a fellowship program that would both impart American journalistic traditions and respond to worldwide interest in the dissemination of fair and accurate news
The Alfred Friendly Press Fellowships are six-month professional fellowships offered once a year to professional journalists from developing countries and emerging markets. Friendly Fellows work full time at U.S. host news organizations while developing their journalism skills.
Alfred Friendly Press Partners bonds with journalists and news organizations from information-hungry societies and prepares them to practice professional, ethical, and innovative journalism. We accomplish our mission through hands-on training in U.S. and international newsrooms and within the Missouri School of Journalism.
Level/ Field of study
Press Partners Fellowships are available to Journalists. Working and living in another country is a challenge that fellows not only overcome but embrace. The benefits are personal as well as professional.
Alfred Friendly Press Fellowships are hosted by Alfred Friendly Press Partners. the Press Partners Fellowships are to be taken in the USA.
Read also if you wish to study outside your home country Simple and Detailed Answers about Applying and Winning a Scholarship.
Aside from Alfred Friendly Press Fellowships, there are other scholarships available to international students to study abroad. You can check our scholarship by country to access all scholarships available
Press Partners Fellowships are available to Journalists from developing countries: Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burma, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African, Republic Chad, Chile, People’s Republic of China, Colombia, Comoros, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Republic of the Congo, Costa Rica, Ivory Coast, Croatia, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Fiji, Gabon, The Gambia, Georgia, Ghana, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea, Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, Indonesia, India, Iran, Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Lithuania, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Federated States of Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Samoa, São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint- Vincent and the Grenadines, South Sudan, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Syria, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor Leste, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Eligibility Requirements for Press Partners Fellowship 2019
- Journalists who are citizens of Muslim-majority countries;
- Current full-time employment as a journalist for the news or editorial departments of independent newspapers, magazines, wire services, or online publications of general public interest;
- At least three years of full-time professional experience as a journalist;
- Early to mid-career status and between 25 and 35 years old;
- A demonstrated a personal commitment to a career in journalism;
- Ability and desire to share what is learned on the Alfred Friendly Press fellowship with other journalists at home;
- Endorsement from the management of the home news organization;
- Excellent command of both written and spoken English as all activities are conducted in English.
It is highly recommended that fellows bring additional money with them. While family members may visit for up to one month, they cannot accompany the fellow for the duration of the fellowship. The benefits are personal as well as professional.
The Number of Press Partners Fellowship offered annually is unknown
Friendly Fellows learn to:
- Improve skills in gathering information, interviewing and writing.
- Add social perspective to business and political reporting.
- Write more balanced news articles, more polished feature stories and more in-depth analytical pieces.
- Improve written and spoken English.
- Become more vigorous and confident journalists.
- Gain insight into American culture, business, and politics.
- The Alfred Friendly Press fellowship is a full-time training experience, and fellows are expected to conduct themselves in a professional and responsible manner.
- Fellows work between 35 and 50 hours per week for their U.S. host news organizations. Outside the newsroom, fellows are expected to give at least two talks in the community – at local schools, press clubs, community groups, etc.
- Press Partners also requires fellows to maintain a fellowship blog, detailing both their personal and professional experiences.
- In late March, fellows arrive in Columbia Missouri, for an orientation seminar to prepare them for the challenges of living and working in the United States.
- A major component of the seminar is a refresher course in American journalism. After writing, reporting, and learning about style, ethics, libel and the culture of American newsrooms, fellows leave Missouri better prepared for their fellowship assignments.
- A cross-cultural adaptation specialist who has worked with Alfred Friendly Fellows since 1984, discusses what fellows typically experience during their time in the United States and suggests strategies to handle the various levels of culture shock most fellows experience.
- The remainder of the seminar is spent on professional, cultural and social activities in the United States. Following the orientation seminar, fellows travel to their host cities to begin their five-month assignments.
- In July, fellows and Press Partners staff spend a week at the University of Missouri School of Journalism. They attend a three-day computer-assisted reporting course and an intensive three-day digital workshop. Fellows also spend a day working with our cultural adaptation specialist.
- A final seminar reunites fellows in Columbia Missouri, at the end of August for debriefing, a cross-cultural re-adaptation seminar, a Training-the-Trainers session, and their graduation ceremony.
Re-applicants: Please contact [email protected] to request an application.
For More Information:
Application Deadline for the Press Partners Fellowship 2019
The deadline for applications for Press Partners Fellowship usually every August 31st.
- IREX Europe International Undergraduate Scholarships in USA, 2019
- Rotary Foundation Graduate Scholarship Programme in the USA, 2019-2020
- Cisco Systems Scholarship program 2019-2020
- Women in Aerospace Foundation Scholarship 2019-2020
- Wiley CPAexcel Accounting Student Scholarship Program 2019-2020
- CIA Scholarship Program 2019-2020 | In the USA
- Chancellor’s International Scholarship at the University of Warwick, UK 2018
- Walmart Scholarships 2019-2020 | Apply Now
- Fully Funded Undergraduate Scholarships in Burkina Faso 2019-2020