Applications are currently been accepted for the African Researchers Nordic Africa Institute (NAI) Claude Ake Visiting Chair Scholarship In Sweden 2018, only eligible applicants will be considered for this program.
The Chair is intended for scholars who, like Claude Ake, combine a profound commitment to scholarship with a strong advocacy for social justice. The Chair is open to social scientists working at African universities with problems related to war, peace, conflict resolution, human rights, democracy and development on the African continent.
Value of Scholarship: The awardee is entitled to a tax-free stipend/scholarship of 20 000 SEK/month. The total amount is calculated according to the number of days spent in Uppsala. In addition, travel costs and accommodation for the holder of the position, and, if relevant, his/her accompanying spouse/ significant other, are covered by the grant. The Chair holder is provided office space at the DPCR and NAI, and basic office equipment
Eligible Countries: African countries
To be taken at (country): Sweden
Eligibility: Applicants should be internationally recognized senior scholars with professorial competence in their respective fields of expertise. Normally, this translates to Professor, Associate Professor, or their equivalence. The Chair holder is expected to spend three (3) months in Uppsala in the time-span mid-August to mid December 2018. Applications from female candidates are encouraged.
How to Apply: The application must contain:
- A complete and updated curriculum vitae (CV), including relevant information regarding academic title, current and previous positions, research and teaching activities, and a list of publications. It should also include all relevant contact information.
- A short abstract of the research project to be carried out as visiting chair holder.
- A research proposal outlining the main features of the research project to be carried out during the visit including the expected results. The preferred time period for the visit during 2018 should also be stated. Please note that arrival in Uppsala should be avoided during the academic recess period of mid-June to mid- August. The length of the proposal should be a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 5 pages.
- Two of the applicant’s publications. These should normally be the two most important articles related to the research project to be pursued during the visit.
- A signed letter of nomination from a senior scholar in the same field. Nominations may come from individual scholars/colleagues, including former Claude Ake Visiting Chairs, and must include a motivation for the nomination.
- A signed letter from the applicant’s Head of Department or Dean (or equivalent) which confirms that the application is supported by the institution with which the nominee is affiliated.
Addresses for the submission of applications: E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Nordic Africa Institute
Att: The Claude Ake Visiting Chair
751 47 Uppsala
Application Deadline: 1st December 2017. The Chair holder is expected to spend three (3) months in Uppsala in the time-span mid-August to mid December 2018.