Entries are been accepted for the African Researchers Humanities Fellowship Program 2017/2018,The American Council of Learned Societies (ACLS), with financial support from the Carnegie Corporation of New York, announces competitions for Dissertation-completion fellowships and Early-Career Postdoctoral Fellowships.
Type: Fellowship, Postdoctoral
Eligible Field of Study: Proposed projects must be in the humanities, defined by the study of history, language, and culture, and by qualitative approaches in research. The list of humanities disciplines includes anthropology, archaeology, studies of the fine and performing arts, history, linguistics, literature studies, studies of religion, and philosophy. Projects in social sciences such as economics, sociology, or political science, as well as in law or international relations, are not eligible unless they are clearly humanistic in content and focus.
To be taken at (country): African Universities
Value of Fellowship:
- Stipends are $10,000 for dissertation-completion Fellows and $17,000 for postdoctoral Fellows, plus an additional $1,000 per Fellow for books and media at both award levels.
- Fellowship stipends allow recipients an academic year free from teaching and other duties for completion of the PhD dissertation, for revising the dissertation for publication, or for the first major research project after the PhD. Fellows are also eligible for additional benefits such as residential stays for writing, manuscript development workshops, and publication support.
- Dissertation-completion fellowships in Ghana, Nigeria, Tanzania, and Uganda
- Postdoctoral Research and Writing in Ghana, Nigeria, Tanzania, Uganda, and South Africa
- Applicants must be nationals and residents of a country in sub-Saharan Africa, with a current affiliation at an institution in Ghana, Nigeria, South Africa, Tanzania, or Uganda.
- Applicants for Dissertation-Completion Fellowships should be in the final year of writing the dissertation at a university in Ghana, Nigeria, Tanzania, or Uganda.
- Dissertation-Completion Fellowships are not available in South Africa.
- Applicants for Early Career Postdoctoral Fellowships must be working in Ghana, Nigeria, South Africa, Tanzania, or Uganda and must have completed the PhD no more than eight years ago.
- Projects must be in the humanities and must be carried out in sub-Saharan Africa. AHP fellowships may not be used for travel outside the continent.
How to Apply: Visit Fellowship webpage to apply
Application Deadline: 2nd November, 2017
Sponsors: The American Council of Learned Societies (ACLS), with financial support from the Carnegie Corporation of New York.