Apply right now for the African Presidential Scholars Program at University of Michigan 2018/2019, only eligible persons will be admitted for this program and submissions must be completed before the stated deadline.
The U-M African Presidential Scholars Program (UMAPS) brings early career faculty members from Ethiopia, Ghana, South Africa, Liberia, Uganda and other African countries to the University of Michigan for residencies lasting up to six months.
Faculty members of colleges and universities in all other African countries cannot apply directly to the UMAPS program without first being nominated and invited to apply by a U-M faculty member with whom s/he already has a pre-existing relationship. Only the stated countries can apply directly.
Value of Scholarship: Those admitted to the UMAPS Program will receive:
- Four to six months residency at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA, paired with a faculty mentor with full access to the university’s resources
- Round-trip airfare from their home country to Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Free housing, and a modest stipend to cover living, health care, and research costs while at U-M. The UMAPS program is unable to accommodate spouses and/or dependents
- Office/Laboratory space
- Opportunity to present research to the U-M community
To be Taken at (Country): Ann Habor, Michigan, USA
Eligible Countries: Ethiopia, Ghana, South Africa, Liberia, Uganda and other African countries
Eligibility: The Candidate must be a faculty member from universities in Ethiopia, Ghana, Uganda, Liberia and South Africa. Since a primary goal of the program is to assist in capacity building in African academe, strong preference will be given to early career members of the faculty. Mid-career faculty will also be considered.
- Be an educator in the higher education system for less than ten years, presently teaching in a college or university in Africa
- Be able to demonstrate support from home institution with letter of recommendation from head of department, dean, or vice chancellor
- Be able to remain in residence from four to six months
How to Apply: All candidates must:
- Complete the online application form
- Submit a curriculum vitae
- Submit a scholarly program/research proposal (not to exceed five pages) (See link in scholarship Webpage)
Applications from a wide range of disciplines and schools are welcome; applications that align with the center’s initiatives—African Heritage, African Social Research, and STEM-Africa—are encouraged
- Provide a complete name and contact information of the department head, dean, or vice chancellor at the applicant’s home institution who will be writing their letter of support (See link in scholarship Webpage)
Application Deadline: 15th October 2017
Sponsors: University of Michigan