Do you have passion and commitment to the development of Africa? Outstanding academic and professional achievements? Then the Young Professionals Program for Africans is calling on you to apply, hurry now and ensure that applications are submitted before the stated deadline. This African Development Bank YPP 2020 deadline is 13th November 2019.
In a Nutshell, the Young Professionals Program for Africans (YPP) is a three-year leadership opportunity for the development of the Bank’s future leaders. We attract highly qualified and motivated professionals from our member countries for a productive and rewarding career path in development.
Therefore, In this post, I have put down relevant information about this African Development Bank Young Professionals Program that can help you to apply. Below is an overview of what to expect.
- What is the African Development Bank Group?
- Why Young Professionals Program for Africans?
- What Do I stand to Gain from the Young Professionals Program?
- Eligibility for African Development Bank YPP 2020
- Testimonials from the current African Development Bank YPP
- Bank Young Professionals Program Application Procedures
- Young Professionals Program 2020 Deadline
- AFDB Young Professional Program FAQs
What is the African Development Bank Group?
The African Development Bank (AfDB) Group was established to contribute to the economic development and social progress of African countries that are the institution’s Regional Member Countries (RMCs). Also, It is known as a regional multilateral development finance institution
However, the bank was established on 14th August 1963 in Khartoum, Sudan based on the signed agreement by member states. Note, the group is made up of three bodies; the African Development Bank (ADB), the African Development Fund (ADF) and the Nigeria Trust Fund (NTF).
Moreso, As the premier development finance institution on the continent, the AfDB’s mission is to help reduce poverty, improve living conditions for Africans and mobilize resources for the continent’s economic and social development. The AfDB headquarters is officially in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire.
Why Young Professionals Program for Africans?
The Bank Young Professionals Program (YPP) is a program that aims at reaching out to high potential, best-in-class young professionals with a strong passion for Africa’s development.
However, This provides exceptional career opportunities to talented young professionals with leadership potential and an established record of outstanding academics. And also, for professional achievement to make a difference in the development of the African continent. Note, YPP is not an internship arrangement.
Furthermore, the YPP includes a rigorous program of activities including a learning Academy that prepares participants to be technical and professional leaders with notable impact.
- The Program is for a period of three years; the first two years will be spent on mandatory rotational placements across the Bank’s various functions. The third-year rotation year will be spent in the Home Complex where the YP will graduate into a staff position.
- Only YPs who have completed the YP Academy and have exhibited high performance and high potential will be integrated into the Bank’s workforce.
- The Professional and Personal Development Program is structured under the Young Professionals Learning Academy with specific learning interventions delivered in phases of 6 months each. These learning interventions serve to deepen technical knowledge and build leadership skills required for effective delivery of task functions and future roles in the Bank. The Learning academy also includes on- the job training that requires immersion into various functional areas of the Bank for hands-on experience in projects and various work assignments.
- On-boarding and orientation programs ensure faster integration into the Bank’s culture and offer a robust support mechanism from mentors, coaches and buddy groups.
- Individual performance and potential will be reviewed periodically, and the necessary personal development plans customized to individual needs.
What Do I stand to Gain from the Young Professionals Program?
African Development Bank Young Professionals Program offers you so many opportunities that can help you in your career. Some of them includes:
Eligibility for African Development Bank YPP 2020
To join this Young Professionals Program, the applicants should:
Testimonials from the current African Development Bank YPP
“There is no better time to be part of what I call a ‘movement’ in Africa – new economic opportunities, improved governance systems and a new wave of burgeoning entrepreneurship. Joining the YP Program of the African Development Bank has offered me a great opportunity to be part of this movement. The Program creates an environment for you to both learn and contribute to development business, including lending and non-lending operations. The wealth of expertise and experience within the Bank in providing technical assistance to regional member countries is just amazing. Working for AfDB, Africa’s premier financial institution, brings you to the forefront of discourses on the policy and economic choices that countries have to make in achieving sustainable development outcomes. What I cherish most about my experience so far in the Program is the exposure to the world of system-thinking in proffering lasting solutions to social, economic and environmental challenges in our countries and continent.”
YPP 2011 (Senior Policy Analyst –RDGE)
If you are looking forward to a stirring development career particularly in Africa, the YP Program with the AfDB is certainly a profound choice, as it affords a wealth of benefits and invaluable opportunities in a professional and stimulating learning environment. Once you get onboard, you can capitalize on the flexibility of expanding and complementing your skills set by working and learning from different aspects of the Bank where diverse and seasoned experts also contribute to exciting development initiatives. The Bank’s focused and passionate commitment to the continent’s development exposes you to the realities of dealing with contemporary socio-economic challenges. There are also opportunities for on the job training to improve your understanding of the Bank’s operations and procedures and other career development training. As a YP, using my skills and experiences and developing it further to contribute to efforts at reducing inequalities and poverty to promote inclusive growth in Africa is certainly a great fulfillment in my career.
YPP 2010 (Poverty Economist –AHHD2)
Bank Young Professionals Program Application Procedures
Please note that the application for admission to the AfDB YPP is an online process. The YPP is a highly competitive program and you are advised to provide as much relevant information as possible.
Applicants with dual nationality are advised that the Bank recognizes only one nationality from a member country; as such, kindly indicate the nationality you wish to declare.
Successful candidates from the selection process will be appointed YPs under their declared nationalities for the duration of the Program and any continuing contract with the Bank.
The application checklist is meant to facilitate your application experience.
- Maximum two-page Curriculum Vitae in Microsoft Word version.
- Copies of Academic Certificates/Transcripts.
- Ph.D. Dissertation/Master’s Thesis topic (short summary), if applicable.
- You will be expected to write an essay of about 800 words.
African Development Bank YPP Support Mechanisms
Young Professionals Program 2020 Deadline
The application submission of the 2020 Young Professionals Program For Africans is on November 13th, 2019 (midnight GMT). Therefore, all applications must be submitted on or before the deadline because any application submitted after then will not be considered.
Visit the official website for more Information
AFDB Young Professional Program FAQs
Who are the main target of YPP?
The Young Professionals Program (YPP) targets High Potential, best-in-class talent young professionals with a strong passion for Africa’s development.
When is the last day for submitting my application?
The deadline for this program 2020 application submission is 13th of November 2019
Who can apply for this YPP 2020
This young professional program is designed for African countries.
Do you want to be among the Bank’s future leaders? The African Development Bank Young Professionals Program is on. Read more on African Development Bank YPP