Africa Research Excellence Fund (AREF) Research Development Fellowships 2017 for early-career Researchers (40,000 GB Pounds Award)
Application Deadline:1600 hours (GMT) on 28 June 2017.
The Africa Research Excellence Fund announces its third call for applications for AREF’s transformative Research Development Fellowships. The Programme aims to enhance the research competitiveness of emerging African researchers with leadership potential who are working on important challenges for human health in Africa.
The Programme scope includes a broad range of science disciplines and health challenges. AREF is keen to attract more excellent proposals on important neglected tropical diseases – in particular on chronic ill-health and mental health – and in maternal, neonatal and infant health.
The Fellowship enables talented early-career researchers to develop their own research ideas and specialist skills, to grow their research relationships through collaboration and mentorship, and to work towards a major research funding proposal. Think of the AREF Fellowship as a stepping-stone to achieving competitive research funding and opportunities in the future.
An AREF Fellowship supports a developmental placement of three-to-nine months in a leading research organisation in Europe or Africa with time either side of the placement for preparation and follow-up.
To hold an AREF Research Development Fellowship, you will need to meet the following eligibility criteria;
1. be a national of a country in sub-Saharan Africa excluding South Africa;
2. be a post-doctoral scientist with a PhD, with up to 5-years of active research experience on 1 July 2016; or be a clinician with a research-relevant Master’s degree and up to 3-years active research experience;
3. be working in an active research role at the time of applying, with a guarantee of employment with a university or other legally established research organisation based in sub-Saharan Africa for the duration of your fellowship; and
4. submit the required documentation, including declarations from your home and host sponsors detailing how they and their institutions will support your development as a researcher, if you receive an award.
- The maximum award is 40,000 GB Pounds.
- The length of the Fellowship and actual amount awarded will depend on detailed and persuasive justification provided by the applicant and the quality of the engagement of their employing and host institutions.
For More Information: