ACDI Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in South Africa
The AXA Research Chair Programme in African Climate Risk at the ACDI is offering Postdoctoral Research Fellowship. The fellowship is available in Social and Economic Assessment of Extreme Weather and Climate.
The AXA Research Chair Programme in African Climate Risk at the ACDI aims to (i) quantify the relative contribution of climate change and landscape management impacts of weather and seasonal climate extremes; and (ii) estimate the social and economic benefit of different adaptation options to reduce the impacts of these extreme events.
The African Climate & Development Initiative (ACDI) is the University of Cape Town’s active response to the climate change and development challenge.
Course Level: Fellowship is available for pursuing the postdoctoral research programme.
Study Subject: Fellowship is available in Social and Economic Assessment of Extreme Weather and Climate.
Scholarship Award: The value of the fellowship is ZAR 250,000-300,000 depending on experience and is tenable for 24 months with the possibility of extension for further years subject to satisfactory progress.
Scholarship can be taken in: South Africa
- A PhD, awarded within the previous five years, with a specialisation in economics.
- Has strong economic modelling, data processing and analysis skills.
- Demonstrated ability to produce peer-reviewed research articles.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Experience, or a desire to build experience, in communicating research to diverse non-expert audiences.
- Knowledge of multi-criteria analysis that incorporates both economic and social factors.
- Has experience in resource and/or environmental economics, especially in the agriculture and water sectors, and their value chains.
- Has practical experience of running hydro-economic and agro-economic computer models.
- Has expertise in South African and/or southern African economic settings.
- The experience of supervision or co-supervision of PhD and/or Master’s level research projects.
Nationality: Citizens of South Africa are eligible to apply.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Applicants must have completed their doctoral degrees within the past 5 years and may not previously have held a full-time permanent professional or academic post.
English Language Requirement: Applicants must have excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
How to Apply: Applicants should submit (i) an application letter that includes a short description of their expertise and research interests and how these relate to the position, (ii) a CV including a publication list, (iii) copies of academic transcripts and/or certificates, and (iv) email addresses of at least two references who been directly involved in their PhD and/or previous postdoctoral research. Applications should be emailed to: nomabelu.somatube-at-uct.ac.za.
Application Deadline: The application deadline is August 15, 2017.