AAUW International Fellowships for Women in USA,
Applications are invited for AAUW International Fellowships available for women who are not US citizens or permanent residents. The program provides support for one year of graduate or postgraduate study at US institutions. Preference is given to women who show prior commitment to the advancement of women and girls through civic, community, or professional work. A limited number of awards are available to women who are members of the International Federation of University Women for study in any country other than their own. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): at US institutions | USA (Fellows may spend up to two months travelling abroad for research related to their project plan with prior written approval of AAUW)
Level: graduate or postgraduate study
Field(s): any of the courses offered by the US institutions.
Deadline:open August 1–December 1.
Funded By: AAUW
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): AAUW International Fellowships are targeted for International students other than from United States can apply for these scholarships.
‣ No. of awards: Up to five International Fellowships for master’s/first professional degrees will be renewable for a second year;
|renewal instructions will be provided to fellows during their fellowship year.
‣ Scholarship Tenure : The program provides support for one year of graduate or postgraduate study in the United States to women who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
‣Value of Scholarship : -Master’s/First Professional Degree: $18,000
-International Fellowships funds are available for Educational expenses, Living expenses, Dependent child care and Travel to professional meetings, conferences or seminars, as long as it does not exceed 10% of the fellowship.
‣ The AAUW International Fellowships program has been in existence since 1917. The program provides support for women pursuing full-time graduate or postdoctoral study in the United States who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
‣ Preference is given to women who show prior commitment to the advancement of women and girls through civic, community, or professional work.
‣ A limited number of awards are available to women who are members of Graduate Women International for study or research in any country other than their own. Up to five International Fellowships for master’s/first professional degrees will be renewable for a second year; renewal instructions will be provided to fellows during their fellowship year.
‣ AAUW International Fellowships are not open to previous recipients of any AAUW national fellowship or grant (not including branch or local awards or Community Action Grants).
‣ Members and officers of the AAUW Board of Directors are not eligible to apply for fellowships and grant awards.
‣ AAUW staff or volunteers with decision-making authority who wish to apply for an award must recuse themselves from the decision-making process. Unsuccessful applicants may reapply.
‣ To be eligible for an International Fellowship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Have citizenship in a country other than the United States or possession of a nonimmigrant visa if residing in the United States. Women holding dual citizenship in the United States and another country are not eligible.
- Hold an academic degree (earned in the United States or abroad) equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree completed by September 30, 2017.
- Intend to devote herself full-time to the proposed academic plan during the fellowship year
- Intend to return to her home country to pursue a professional career
- Be proficient in English. Unless the applicant can verify that her native language is English, that she received her secondary diploma or undergraduate degree from an English-speaking institution, or that she will have completed one semester of full-time study in her discipline at an English-speaking college or university between October 2013 and September 30, 2017 (transcript required for validation), she must upload a recent score (no older than October 2013) on the ETS TOEFL* (Test of English as a Foreign Language). Institutional TOEFL scores and other English proficiency test scores (such as IELTS)will not be accepted. Minimum score acceptable: 550 for paper-based tests; 213 for computer-based tests; 79 for Internet-based tests. Test scores must be provided in the online application by the December 1, 2017, deadline, and score reports must be uploaded by December 1, 2017. Either originals or copies of score reports may be uploaded.
- Master’s/first professional degree and doctoral applicants must have applied by December 1, 2017, to an accredited institution of study for the period of the fellowship year and must indicate the name of the institution in the International Fellowship application.
- Master’s/first professional degree fellowships are intended for master’s or professional degree-level programs such as J.D., M.F.A., L.L.M., M.Arch., or medical degrees such as M.D., D.D.S., etc.
- Doctoral fellowships are intended for doctorate degrees, such as Ph.D. or Ed.D.
- Postdoctoral applicants must provide proof of their doctorate degree; hold a doctorate classified as a research degree (e.g., Ph.D., Ed.D., D.B.A., M.D.) or an M.F.A. by December 1, 2015; and indicate where they will conduct their research.
- Master’s/first professional degree and doctoral applicants must be enrolled in a U.S. accredited institution located in the United States during the fellowship year.
- A limited number of awards are available to GWI members for study or research in any country other than their own. Note that foreign branches of U.S. institutions are considered outside of the United States.
- Applicants must be conducting a full year of study or research. International Fellowships do not provide funding for a partial year of study or research. Programs ending prior to April of the fellowship year are not eligible.
- Master’s/first professional degree and doctoral fellowships support traditional classroom-based courses of study at colleges or universities. This fellowship program does not provide funding for distance-learning or online programs or for degrees heavily dependent on distance-learning components.Final decisions about what constitutes distance learning under these fellowships will be made by AAUW.
- TOEFL is given at designated test centers throughout the world. AAUW International Fellowship applicants should take the test as early as possible. The code for AAUW is 9231. This code must be written on the test registration form so that the scores will be reported directly to AAUW. Code 9231 should also be entered on the score report request form for tests previously taken. Please be advised that the TOEFL is changing to a computer-based test and will be administered on computers in most countries. Applicants planning to take the TOEFL should check test administration locations, dates, and format immediately.
Selection Criteria for AAUW International Fellowships
‣ The International Fellowships Panel meets once a year to review applications for funding. Awards are based on the selection criteria outlined on this page.
‣ Recommendations by the panel are subject to final approval by the AAUW Board of Directors. Fellowships are awarded on a competitive basis according to funds available in a given fiscal year.
‣ To ensure a fair and objective review process, it is the policy of AAUW not to comment on the deliberations of its award panels. No provisions exist for reconsideration of grant proposals after the board has acted. AAUW does not provide evaluations of successful or unsuccessful applications.
‣ Notification of awards mailed to all applicants in April , 2018.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Applicants are required to apply via Online Application .
‣ Please follow the directions carefully and complete all sections of the application for successful submission of your application.
‣ Only complete online applications will be reviewed by the selection panel.
‣ Scholarship Application Due Date: Applications for AAUW International Fellowships are open August 1–December 1.
For questions or technical support,
please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.