Fully funded Scholarships for Women
Will the gender disparity in male-dominated industries ever change? The answer seems to be yes, but gradually. Helping to speed up the process are various organizations offering scholarships for women preparing for careers in male-dominated industries.
Often the funding is accompanied by additional support, including mentorship and special events or workshops.
In the UK, just 8% of engineering jobs are filled by women, while in the US only around a quarter of those in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) occupations are women. Similar statistics are reported across the world in male-dominated industries such as business, engineering, and technology.
Just a few decades ago, it was rare to see women enrolled in full-time college courses. As it is today, there are actually more women than men enrolled in college.
However, for the most part, women still hold a smaller percentage of high-power positions, and when they do, they tend to get paid less than men who hold the same position.
Below is a selection of global and region-specific scholarships for women in male-dominated industries, including scholarships for women in engineering and science, scholarships for women in technology and scholarships for women in business.
Scholarships for women in engineering and science
- Amelia Earhart fellowship – International scholarships for women pursuing doctorates or PhDs in aerospace-related science or engineering subjects
- AOE National Foundation Scholarships – Scholarships for women in engineering or technical science-related programs at universities in the US
- APS/IBM Research Internship for Undergraduate Women – Scholarships for women in engineering and scientific fields wanting to continue their studies at postgraduate level
- AWAM Scholarships – US scholarships for women studying aviation
- BHW Women in STEM Academic Scholarship – US scholarships for women pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in a STEM subject
- CEMF Undergraduate Scholarships – Awards for women to study engineering in Canada. Only open to Canadian citizens
- Center for Women In Technology (CWIT) Scholars Program at UMBC – US scholarships for female undergraduate students at the University of Maryland Baltimore County majoring in STEM subjects
- Ford Prize for Women in STEM study – Awarded to women starting their first year of an undergraduate degree in a STEM subject in the UK
- The Henry Luce Foundation Clare Boothe Luce Program – Undergraduate and graduate awards (granted directly to the university, rather than the applicant) with preference given to women in fields in which women are underrepresented, e.g. physics, computer science, engineering, and mathematics.
- Leatrice Gregory Pendray Scholarship – US scholarships for women in engineering, awarded by the AIAA Foundation
- L’Oréal-UNESCO Women in Science Fellowships – Awarded to female students within the UK and Ireland studying in scientific fields
- Southern Automotive Women’s Forum Scholarship – Scholarships for women in engineering and other STEM-related degree subjects, for students who wish to pursue careers in the automotive industry upon graduation. For citizens of states within the Southern US.
- Susan E. Stutz-McDonald Scholarship Foundation – US scholarships awarded to female students studying environmental engineering
- SWE Scholarship Program – US scholarships for women in engineering from the Society of Women Engineers
- Jocelyn Bell Burnell Medal and Prize – Sponsored by Shell and the Institute of Physics, this award is for female UK students pursuing careers in Physics
- The WEST Fund – WEST (Women in Engineering, Science and Technology) provides small bursaries for women in STEM-related studies within Sheffield in the UK
- Women’s Engineering Society Awards – Scholarships for women in engineering studying in the UK
- Women’s Transportation Seminar (WTS) Scholarships – Undergraduate and graduate scholarships for women pursuing careers in transportation
- M. Hildred Blewett Scholarship for Women in Physics – For women interested in pursuing careers in physics research after having had their further studies interrupted. For US or Canadian citizens or legal residents with an affiliation to a research institution or national lab.
Scholarships for women in technology
- Amazon Women in Innovation Bursary – Scholarships aimed at women from less advantaged backgrounds to pursue a degree that supports high-tech innovation, such as electronic engineering or robotics, at the University of Cambridge, King’s College London or the University of Edinburgh in the UK
- ESA Foundation Computer and Video Game Scholarship – Scholarships for women and other underrepresented students pursuing degrees in computer and video game arts. For study in the US.
- Palantir Scholarships for Women in Technology – International scholarships for women in STEM subjects
- The Center for Women in Technology – Scholarships for women in technology or engineering, studying at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County, US
- Women Techmakers Scholars Program – Global scholarships for minority women to pursue degrees in technology and computing
- VIP Women In Technology Scholarship (WITS) – For women wishing to study in the fields of IT, computer science, management information systems and related fields. Available to US citizens only.
- Microsoft Women’s Fellowship Program – For female employees at Microsoft to undertake further study in information technology
Scholarships for women in business
- Jane M. Klausman Women in Business Scholarship – International scholarships for women in business wishing to study business management at undergraduate and master’s level.
- Nashville ATHENA Award Program – Scholarships for women in business living in Nashville, US, planning to study business or leadership at degree level.
- The Asian Women In Business Scholarship – Scholarships for exceptional Asian women (who are US citizens) who demonstrate leadership, entrepreneurship and a strong academic history.
- Wilmington Women in Business Fresh Start Scholarship – Scholarships for women in business, particularly aimed at professional women returning to education. For US citizens.
Other scholarships for women in male-dominated industries
- Association for Women in Mathematics Scholarships – Scholarships for pre-university students, undergraduates, postgraduates and researchers in the US
- Laurels Fund Scholarships – Scholarships for women pursuing a Ph.D. in accounting
- Gertrude M. Cox Scholarship in Statistics for Women – Scholarships to encourage more women to enter statistically oriented professions. Applicants must be US or Canadian citizens enrolled in a graduate statistics program.
- Skills 4 UK Scholar’s Award – Open to female students entering the final year of university in the UK who are on track for a 2.1 or above. The winner receives a place on Skills 4 UK’s award-winning Career Development Programme.
WE ALSO RECOMMEND
- Deputy Scholarship for Women in Technology in the United States, 2019
- Buildium’s Women in Technology Scholarship, USA 2019
- Standard Chartered 2019 Kenyan Women in Technology program
- Google Women Techmakers Global Program For International women 2019
- 15 Undergraduate Scholarships For Business Administration Students
- Women In Engineering Scholarships for Students at the University of Warwick, UK 2019
- List Of All Scholarships for Minority Women 2019-2020 to Study Anywhere.
- PEO International Peace Scholarships for women 2019-2020
- Beverly J Smith Scholarship 2019 – 2020 | UPDATED
- No Bull Sports Scholarship Program 2019-2020
various organizations offering scholarships for women preparing for careers in male-dominated industries. Below is a selection of global and region-specific scholarships for women in male-dominated industries.