Are you a student in Nevada that wants to study free of charge? People have falsely believed that scholarships are made for only the impoverished. But that’s not true because the essence of scholarship is to help virtually everyone who’s open to it achieve their dreams and career. Here is a list of scholarships in Nevada 2020 for you.
As the day goes by, more provisions are being made for scholarship and students now have to realize that there are many opportunities out there for them to get enrolled and all they have to do is just apply.
Did you know that there are a good number of scholarship awards available for residents and students in Nevada?
Do you reside in Nevada or wish to attend college in NV? We know college can be very costly to afford! But hey! heads up. We’ve been able to compile for you a list of 21 best scholarships in Nevada.
- Top Scholarships in Nevada
- 1) Governor Guinn Millennium Scholarship 2020
- 2) The Bruce Fishkin Scholarship
- 3) Church’s Chicken Community Scholarship Programme.
- 4) Italian Catholic Federation Year Scholarship
- 5) Presbyterian Student Opportunity Scholarship.
- 6) Korean American Scholarship Foundation – Western Regional Chapter
- 7) National Independent Automobile Dealers Association (NAIDA) Foundation Regional Scholarships.
- 8) NSHSS Andeavor Youth Leadership Awards.
- 9) The Nevada Promise Scholarship
- 10) John Wright International Incentive Scholarship
- 11) Greater Nevada Credit Union Scholarship
- 12) James S. Mcphee Memorial Scholarship
- 13) NV Energy Powerful Partnership Scholarship
- 14) Jo Marshall Memorial Scholarship
- 15) Rebel Challenge Transfer Scholarship
- 16) Ron & Linda Smith Family Scholarship
- 17) Nevada’s Otto Huth Scholarship
- 18) Reno Rodeo Foundation Scholarship
- 19) Horatio Alger Nevada Scholarship Program.
- 20) NSHE Nevada Regents’ Scholar Awards
- 21) Frank M. & Gertrude R. Doyle Foundation Scholarship.
Top Scholarships in Nevada
1) Governor Guinn Millennium Scholarship 2020
Nevada Millennium Scholarship, also known as the Governor Guinn Millennium Scholarship, has chosen to offer Nevada high school graduates free or reduced tuition to in-state universities and colleges like the University of Nevada, Reno and the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.
This scholarship in Nevada 2020 was created using the money that Nevada received from the Tobacco Master Settlement Agreement. Currently, the scholarship allows up to $80 per credit hour for eligible students with a total lifetime value of $10,000 for an undergraduate lifetime. The Governor Guinn Millennial Scholarship does not cover 100 % of the student’s full-time tuition and fees.
A Kenny C. Guinn Memorial Millennium Scholarships are awarded to two students each year to supplement current Governor Guinn Millennium Scholarship students who meet the following criteria:
- Must currently be an eligible Millennium Scholar;
- Must be entering his/her senior or last year of college at an eligible institution;
- Should be enrolled in and remain enrolled in a course of study leading to licensure in elementary or secondary education;
- Also, maintain a college grade point average of not less than 3.5 on a 4.0 grading scale;
- Put down a commitment to teaching in Nevada upon graduation; and
- Have a commendable record of community service.
No application is required to be considered for this program. Students’ eligibility data are directly submitted to the Nevada Treasurer’s GGMS Office every April. Initially, students will be notified if they’re eligible for the Millennium Scholarship Programme in early August. Students will then be asked to complete the Acknowledgment of Award process online once they’re notified of their eligibility. Click here for Institutions that are eligible for Governor Guinn Millenium Scholarship
Application Deadline: Applications are accepted each year in early February through April 1st. Applications must be received by midnight April 1st
2) The Bruce Fishkin Scholarship
The goal of this scholarship is to help high school seniors in various countries achieve their educational goals. This scholarship is provided by the Bruce Fishkin Fund which seeks to help those which stand out of the crowd. This scholarship seeks students who place a premium on higher education. If you have always known that given the chance, you’d achieve greatness, well, here is that chance.
The Board anticipates awarding up to six(6) scholarships annually to students that either reside or attend high school in any one of the following areas: Greens Farms, Redding and Westport, Fairfield, Connecticut and the cities and surrounding suburbs of Chicago, Illinois and Las Vegas, Nevada.
This scholarship in Nevada 2020is a college scholarship fund offered to high school seniors in Fairfield and Westport, suburbs of Chicago, Connecticut, Redding, Illinois and Las Vegas, Nevada.
Award amount may often vary because of the cost of attendance and the need of the students.
For one to be considered eligible, here are a few criteria to meet:
- Must be a resident of Nevada, Connecticut, Illinois.
- Entering senior year of high school in the fall
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0 in high school you’re attending.
- Should take either ACT or SAT test and score at least 22 in the ACT or 1,100 in the SAT
- Must plan on attending an accredited university or college on a four-year programme or Bachelor’s degree in the US.
- Write an essay please find more information on their URL
- Must take a personal interview
- Academic achievements and records are also taken into account
Application Deadline: This scholarship has expired but continues checking for a new deadline.
3) Church’s Chicken Community Scholarship Programme.
This program is administered by Scholarship Management Services, a sub-division of Scholarship America. This is a scholarship program established by The Church’s Partners Foundation Inc to assist high school seniors residing in 16 eligible states and whose plan is to continue in the college or vocational school programs.
The scholarship is offered annually for both part-time and full-time students in an accredited US institution the student chooses.
Awards are granted without regarding the race, color, creed, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender, disability or national origin. These Scholarship recipients are selected on the basis of academic record, demonstrated leadership and participation in school and aspirations, unusual personal or family circumstances, and community activities, honors, work experience, statement of goals and an outside appraisal. Financial need is not considered.
- Applicants must be living in TX, TN, AL, AR, IL, GA, AZ, FL, LA, MO, MS, NM, NV.
- Must be graduating high school seniors or even be graduating from home school education in the US.
The application deadline date has not yet been finalized for this year but is expected to remain the same as last year. The deadline date shown here is tentative based on last year’s date.
4) Italian Catholic Federation Year Scholarship
This program is solely sponsored by The Italian Catholic Federation. They have awarded over $2,000,000,00 scholarships to more than 6,000 high school students of the Catholic faith since 1964. Students from both public and Catholic high schools in California, Arizona, Nevada, and Illinois can apply.
First-year scholarships will be awarded to approximately 200 applicants in the amount of $400. First-year scholarship winners will be eligible for second, third, and fourth-year awards of $500, $600, and $1,000 respectively.
- Applicants must not be of Italian Descent but a Roman Catholic.
- Must all live within the Roman Catholic Dioceses of Arizona, California, Illinois and Nevada and where the branches of the Federation are established. (non-Italian descents can also be eligible if their parent, guardian or grandparent are a member of the Italian Catholic Federation).
- Must have a minimum GPA of 3.2
Also, applications will be evaluated using:
- Scholastic Achievement – Total Cumulative GPA (3½ years)
- Financial Need
- Leadership Role
- Extracurricular Activities and Charitable Efforts
- Family Membership/Activities in the I.C.F. (if applicable)
In order to apply for the first year $400 scholarships, candidates must fill in and submit by post, not later than March 15, the online application form available at First Year – $400 – College Scholarship Application (PDF) which must include both the candidates’ and their families’ personal, academic and financial information, as well as the following additional documents:
- A high school transcript
- A letter of recommendation from a school official which must include the candidates’ GPA and class rank
- A 150 words personal letter explaining the applicants’ Italian origins (or the I.C.F. affiliation of their parents, grandparents or guardians), why Roman Catholic Faith is important for them and what are their plans for the future
To apply for the two additional scholarships for students majoring in Italian studies, candidates must fill in and submit by post, not later than August 1, another application form available at $600 – Italian Language Scholarship Application (PDF)
including similar information and documents as in the previous case.
Application Deadline: This scholarship has ended. Continue checking for more details.
5) Presbyterian Student Opportunity Scholarship.
This program serves the Presbyterian Church college students by providing need-based aid for sophomores, juniors, and seniors full-time first degree students attending accredited institutions in the US.
This scholarship comes along with a series of an essay about who God created them to be and is being explored with mentors and peers. The program requires the student’s active participation in a worshiping campus or community ministry as they attend college.
In order to promote diversity, there is a preference in this program to racial and ethnic students.
- Must be a full-time sophomore, junior or senior at an accredited college or university in the US.
- Must be a member of the Presbyterian Church (USA)
- Minimum GPA of 2.5
- Must demonstrate financial need.
Application Deadline: This scholarship has ended.
6) Korean American Scholarship Foundation – Western Regional Chapter
Korean American Scholarship Foundation(KASF) scholarships (which range from $500 to $5,000) are offered to the qualified Korean American students (including foreign students from Korea). All applicants must be enrolled in a full-time program in the U.S during the year of the scholarship application.
If extra funds are available, other students (non-Koreans) may qualify for scholarships. Especially, descendants of American veterans who served during the Korean War may qualify for scholarships (applicable to selective regions)
To apply for KASF scholarships, it is very important to follow the specific requirements and instructions of the region where the applicant’s school is/will be located during the year of scholarship application as the type and amount of available scholarships may differ from region to region.
To qualify for this programme:
- The student must be of the Korean heritage studying in the US regardless of their citizenship. This includes Korean Nationals.
- Must enroll full time into one of the designated Southwestern region states (Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming).
- Must maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0
- A well demonstrated financial need.
Application deadline: This scholarship has ended. Kindly check up on us from time to time.
7) National Independent Automobile Dealers Association (NAIDA) Foundation Regional Scholarships.
This program promotes the academic growth of youth throughout the US. They award a scholarship every June at the NAIDA Convention. The Northwood University judges the competition for all students by narrowing the field of competitors down to 4 candidates. Thus representing each of NAIDA’s 4 regions and thereby selecting the scholarship recipient. The students are normally rewarded with a scholarship of $3,500 each into their chosen university or college.
- One must be a resident of at least one qualifying region.
- Must participate in one or two extracurricular and community service.
- Submit SAT and ACT scores.
- Must be a graduate school senior
Here is the list of Regions qualified for the programme:
- REGION ONE: Maine, Vermont, New Ha Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhod Island, New York, Pennsylvania, Ne Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia Virginia, Indiana, and Michigan
- TWO: Kentuc Tennessee, North Carolina, South Ca Georgia, Florida, an Alabama
- REGION THREE: North-South Dakota, Min Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma Arkansas, Louisiana Mississippi, and Texas
- FOUR: Washi Oregon, California, Nevada, Idaho, Mo Wyoming, Utah, C Arizona, New Mex Alaska, and Hawai.
For additional information, please contact Jacinda Timmerman at 800-682-3837
8) NSHSS Andeavor Youth Leadership Awards.
National Society of High School Scholar(NSHSS) Foundation is an academic honor society pledged to recognize and awarding highest achieving student scholars.
The program is valid for high school seniors who are graduating in the spring. Who are also a United State citizen or at least a permanent resident of one of the 19 states?
Andeavor Companies, Inc. is providing twenty $2,500 college scholarships for outstanding young leaders. This new scholarship has been launched to encourage young scholars who are leading by example in their schools and communities.
- A total of twenty (20) $2,500 scholarships will be awarded.
- Eligibility requirements include high school seniors graduating in 2020 who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents of one of the following states where Andeavor run business in which include:
Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Iowa, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon,
South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.
- 3.5 cumulative GPA
- A personal statement of not less than 500 words
- A demonstrated financial need
- A minimum score of 26 in ACT
- The personal response of up to 500 words answering the question provided on the application
- Resume of honors and awards, leadership activities, community service activities, extra-curricular activities, internships, and employment history
- Color headshot for possible website posting
Application Deadline: This scholarship has ended. Continue checking for the deadline.
9) The Nevada Promise Scholarship
Nevada Promise Scholarship. The Nevada Promise Scholarship is a scholarship program that covers the gap between community college tuition and all other federal and state aid for Nevada students. The major aim of this program is to a college education more accessible and affordable by last-dollar financial aid to Nevada students.
These students must attend one of the states for community colleges namely: College of Southern Nevada, Western Nevada College, Truckee Meadows Community college or Great Basin College.
The scholarship stands to save Nevada families over $3000 per year. It provides financial assistance which covers school expenses, including tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies, and transportation. In addition, it also enables students who are eligible to pay up to three years of tuition and mandatory fees at CSN and WSN.
Applicants must meet up with the following to be counted eligible:
- Must be a Nevada resident
- Must earn a high school diploma from any private or public school in Nevada.
- Should not be above 20 years of age when initially receiving the award.
- Must not be in default of any federal student loan.
- Must not owe a refund to any federal student aid program.
- Perform 20 hours of community service by April 30.
How to Apply:
All interested applicant complete online application processes through the link:https://fafsa.ed.gov/
This scholarship has ended. Kindly keep on checking for the new date.
10) John Wright International Incentive Scholarship
The John Wright International Incentive Scholarship enrolls undergraduate students who show some profound interest in international issues with the goal of promoting the presence of foreign cultures and interest in international affairs at the University of Nevada Reno. The award amount is $1,500.
But in order to qualify:
- Candidates must be enrolled full time in 12 credits or more.
- Candidate must also have a GPA cumulative of 2.5.
- Candidate must also promote foreign cultures at UNR.
Application Deadline: This scholarship has ended. Continue checking up on us for more details on it.
11) Greater Nevada Credit Union Scholarship
This program was established to help more people pursue undergraduate, technical or trade school education goals. It is an annual scholarship program. The GNCU will be awarding 30 scholarships to qualified individuals. 25 scholarships worth $2,000 are available to applicants who are members of the GNCU, or the child, spouse or parent of a member.
The applicant must be younger than 25 years at the time of application. 5 scholarships worth $2,000 are also available to GNCU members only from 25 years of age downwards at the time of application.
The scholarship money can cover tuition, course registration, laboratory fees, room and board, class materials and textbooks.
Below is the list of a few selection criteria:
- Must be fully involved in school and community active involvement.
- Previous academic performance.
- Written recommendations from community and school leaders.
- The recipient must attend school as a full-time student.
Application Deadline: This scholarship has ended. Continue checking up on us for more details on it.
12) James S. Mcphee Memorial Scholarship
The Nevada Library Association started this based in Las Vegas James S. McPhee Memorial Scholarship in the year 1995 to honor the memory of the librarian who spearheaded UNLV’s Instruction Programme. He was also the chair of the Intellectual Freedom Committee.
On an annual basis, the recipient is granted up to $5,000 for graduate study which leads to an MLS or MLIS degree. Applications are always postmarked with a resume with three confidential evaluations and an academic transcript.
Eligibility: To qualify for the James S. McPhee Memorial Scholarship, applicants criteria
- Must be an active NLA member and in good standing
- Should Already have a bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 minimum GPA.
- Must enroll full time in an ALA-accredited library science program.
- Show interest and contribution to Nevada’s libraries
The applicant must understand that, upon completion of the library science program, persons awarded NLA scholarships are strongly encouraged to pursue full-time employment in a Nevada library.
Please check back for updated information concerning application date
13) NV Energy Powerful Partnership Scholarship
NV Energy Foundation offers the Powerful Partnership Scholarship Program to support the attainment of higher education for youth in our communities. The Public Education Foundation (PEF) has since 1991 supported many students with over $10.5 million in tuition funding. The program is totally merit-based and it helps Las Vegas metro students who are not the legal dependents of NV Energy employees.
- Must be a United State citizen residing in southern Nevada.
- Must enter high school education with a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Involvement in selfless community services.
Applications can be submitted with an unofficial transcript, faculty recommendation, resume, and a 300-word essay.
Application Deadline: This scholarship has ended. Continue checking up on us for more details on it..
14) Jo Marshall Memorial Scholarship
The Jo Marshall Memorial Scholarship was founded and funded by the Regents Program of the Nevada Federation of Republican Women in the year 2000. This scholarship is in memory of Jo Marshall, a bright, energetic, devoutly Republican woman. It grants $1,000 annually to one southern and one northern Nevada resident through the Nevada Federation of Republican Women (NvFRW).
Conservative ladies must apply with a biographical essay, two non-related recommendation letters and an official university transcript Residents of Nevada can also obtain the Dorothy Andrews Kabus Memorial or Betty Rendel scholarships. Undergraduate students will be given preference for these awards, but graduate students are welcome to apply and will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
The two first-place grant will be for $1,000 annually, non-renewable (one first-place award will be given to a student from northern Nevada and the other will be given to a student from southern Nevada). The second-place awards will be for $500 annually, non-renewable (one second-place award will be given to a student from northern Nevada and the other will be given to a student from southern Nevada).
- Must be a female registered Republican from Nevada
- In-state college matriculation as seniors or juniors
- Must carry a minimum B average on a full-time course load
Application Deadline: This scholarship has ended. Continue checking up on us for more details on it.
15) Rebel Challenge Transfer Scholarship
This is one of the University of Nevada-Vegas’ merit-based fund. It awards $5,000 to $11,000 annually. Funding can be renewed for up to 130 earned credits in the bachelor’s degree program provided the satisfactory progress policies are
- Must matriculate full time with a minimum GPA of 3.0 overall
- Must have a financial need for non-resident tuition rates
- Carry less than 90 transferable credit hours
- Transfer from other regionally accredited United States colleges
- Must enroll and complete at least 15 credit hours.
This program is renewable but however, students who do not meet the conditions for renewal will not have their scholarship reinstated.
- Must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0.
- Must be meeting the financial aid satisfactory academic progress policy.
- Maintain non-resident student status.
16) Ron & Linda Smith Family Scholarship
The Community Foundation of Western Nevada located in Reno annually awards over $374,000 through 22 funds such as the Ron & Linda Smith Family Scholarship.
To apply, one must feature a 400- word essay about the student’s long and short-term goal.
- Must be a citizen of the United State residing in Northern Nevada.
- Have a GEF equivalency or a high school diploma
- Pursue a degree at least half time
- Must make satisfactory progress
17) Nevada’s Otto Huth Scholarship
The Otto Huth Scholarship was established by Nevada’s Division of Child & Family Services (DCFS) to cover tuitions, on-campus housing, meal plans, and textbooks for up to $40,000 total. It is designed for youths who have aged out of the foster system and wants to attend some accredited two-year trade school or even four years university.
One must submit the FASFA form first to apply. Two personal essays and two recommended letters.
- Must earn a high school diploma or GED
- Register at an accredited Nevada college full-time
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better
How to Apply for Nevada’s Otto Huth Scholarship:
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) prior to April 15th.
- Print off a copy of the scholarship application & policy
- Fill out the application & Sign the policy
- Write 2 essays
- Get 2 letters of recommendation
- Send in your application.
18) Reno Rodeo Foundation Scholarship
The Reno Rodeo Foundation gives several $1,000 annual scholarship to outstanding seniors. Basically, there is more preferable for college-bound freshmen who’s participated in Rodeo.
Students can enroll in the Nevada System of Higher Education except if there declared major is not offered.
- Must be a graduate of a high school in Northern Nevada
- Higher grades in 9-12
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Have a verifiable need for financial assistance 12 or more credits
Application Deadline: February 12, 2020 at 5:00 pm
All applicants will be notified via email or by mail on or before April 30, 2020.
19) Horatio Alger Nevada Scholarship Program.
Awarded By Horatio Alger Association. The total value of this award is $10,000. It is paid out install mentally every year. If a student gets this award, he/she is guaranteed the funding for the full five years of his/her undergraduate program by maintaining a grade
point average of 2.0 or higher. This program is non-renewable.
The award is funded through the generosity of Association Member Stephen A. Wynn.
An applicant must be strongly committed to pursuing a bachelor’s degree at an accredited institution.
The applicant must also plan to enter college no later than the fall following high school graduation. Each applicant must show involvement in community activities. Scholarship recipients are normally announced in January.
The Association will administer more than $16 million in scholarship aid. We offer scholarships in the following categories:
- National Scholarships
- State Scholarships
- Targeted Scholarships (college and major-specific)
- Career & Technical Scholarships
APPLICATION DEADLINE: This scholarship has ended. Continue checking up on us for more details on it.
20) NSHE Nevada Regents’ Scholar Awards
The Nevada System of Higher Education Board of Regents’ Scholar award provides an allowance to selected students. This award is for both graduated and undergraduates. Application packets should be submitted via email to email@example.com. This award, which carries with it a $5,000 cash stipend, will be awarded to one (1) undergraduate student.
Undergraduates Eligibility Criteria:
- Must be currently enrolled in at least 9 undergraduate credits in the semester they are nominated.
- Must complete a minimum of 62 total credit hours within NSHE institutions by the time of the award
- Service accomplishments must have occurred while the nominee is a registered NSHE student.
- Nominations must be submitted by an academic or administrative faculty member.
Graduates eligibility criteria:
- Must be currently enrolled with not less than 6 graduate credits in their semester of nomination
- Must have been accepted to graduate standing at the time the award is granted.
Service accomplishments must have occurred while the nominee is a registered NSHE student.
Nominations must be submitted by an academic or administrative faculty member. Nominations, including the completed application packet and materials supporting the nomination.
Each nomination must contain the following information only:
- Formal letter of nomination from an NSHE employee that demonstrates the nominees’ academic and leadership abilities;
- NSHE Nomination Form
- Applicant’s Curriculum Vitae (CV); and
- Applicant’s Statement of Purpose
Nominations, including the completed application packet and materials supporting the nomination.
Application deadline: This scholarship has ended. Continue checking up on us for more details on it.
21) Frank M. & Gertrude R. Doyle Foundation Scholarship.
This program ranges from $500 to $30,000 per year. The program has supported residents of Nevada’s Washoe County and more since 1996. The need-based program, without a GPA requirement, accepts students from 17 years upwards. The foundation also provides grants to nonprofit organizations to support resourceful communities.
- You are a graduating senior or past graduate (G.E.D. is acceptable) of the Huntington Beach Union High School District in Southern California.
- You are a graduate or student of the Washoe Adult High School in the Washoe County School District in Northern Nevada.
- You are a graduating senior or past graduate (G.E.D. is acceptable) of the Washoe County School District in Northern Nevada.
- You are a graduate/current or previous student of any of the following Community Colleges in Southern California: Coastline, Cypress, Fullerton, Golden West, Irvine Valley, Orange Coast, Saddleback, Santa Ana or Santiago Canyon, or Truckee Meadows Community College in Nevada.
- You are a graduate or student of the Huntington Beach Adult School in the Huntington Beach Union High School District in Southern California.
WE ALSO RECOMMEND
- How to Get Scholarship for Indian Students | How to Apply for A Scholarship
- University of Liverpool: Admission Requirements, Courses Offered Tuition Fee, Ranking
- University of New South Wales, Dubai Campus Scholarships for International Students
- Study in Sweden: Chalmers University of Technology Scholarships
- UNICAF Online Scholarships to study In University of South Wales
- Study in Australia: Vice Chancellor’s International Excellence Scholarship
- University of South Wales Chancellors International Development Scholarships in the UK
- UNICAF SCHOLARSHIP FOR EGYPTIAN STUDENTS
- UNICAF Scholarships for Undergraduate and Postgraduate Ghanaian Students
- Central Bank of Ireland Undergraduate Scholarships for International Students