SEARCH FOR ANY SCHOLARSHIP HERE
The World Forest Institute (WFI)is delighted to call for applications from eligible students for international fellowship program available for both US and International nationals. Fellowship provides young forestry and forest products professionals from around the world to work at the World Forest Institute for 6 to 12 months.Applicants are reminded that the eligibility criteria must be met to avoid disqualification.
‣ In 1989, the World Forestry Center established a program called the World Forest Institute (WFI), to meet a growing demand for forestry information.
‣ As the forestry sector becomes increasingly complex, there is a greater need for international collaboration and exchange of information on forest trade, regulation, management, and forest resources. In response, WFI created the International Fellowship Program.
‣ This WFI International Fellowship Program provides a unique collaboration between the research community, private industry, and the public sector.
‣ This WFI program brings young forestry and forest products professionals from around the world to work at the World Forest Institute for 6 to 12 months. Fellows are commonly sponsored by their employer, government institutions, the forest industry, or an NGO, and work on research projects of interest to their sponsors. Over 70 Fellows from 22 countries have participated in the WFI Fellowship Program.
School(Institutions/ Country): | USA
Level: This is a 6 to 12 month Fellowships programme to work at the World Forest Institute
Deadline: the open application period for the 2018 Fellowship Program is July 1 – October 15, 2017.
Funded By: The World Forest Institute, USA
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): WFI International Fellowship is targeted for Both US and foreign nationals may apply to the WFI International Fellowship program.
‣ Award No: Not Specified
‣ Scholarship Duration: The 2018 WFI Fellowship Program runs from April 2 – October 2, 2018. The WFI Fellowship is a six-month program.
|‣ Scholarship covers: Fellows receive a monthly stipend of US $1,000 after tax with holdings. The Fellowship salary is sufficient to cover basic living expenses such as rent and food. Not all expenses are covered, such as air travel, optional car purchase and insurance. Fellows are encouraged to obtain supplementary funding to cover these additional costs. Visa and health insurance fees are extra and currently exceed $1500 (50% is paid by the Harry Merlo Foundation). Fellows receive:|
-An all-zone public transportation permit
-Work area with computer, private phone line, and high speed internet access
-Flexible schedule with vacation and sick days
-Support from two full-time staff, the WFI Director and Fellowship Program Manager
-Personal orientation to Portland, including assistance with housing arrangements
WFI International Fellowship candidates should meet these minimum qualifications:
‣ Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in the field of forestry, natural resources, or other related degree. Alternatively, candidates with at least four years of natural resources work experience may apply.
‣ Proficiency in English, both written and spoken.
‣ At least 21 years of age.
‣ Initial research proposal on a topic relevant to forestry or natural resources in the home country. The project should take advantage of being in the Pacific Northwest.
‣ Ability to be self-motivated, to work independently towards a clear research goal or output, and to work with colleagues from diverse backgrounds.
‣ Once your application has been reviewed you will receive notice of whether or not you have been selected for an interview.
‣ Once the interview is complete, a reference check will be done and you will receive notice of whether or not you have been accepted into the program.
Scholarship Application Method
How to Apply
- Download Application. Download and complete the WFI Application in full. All sections must be completed including the financial section. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. If you are unsure whether a project you have in mind would meet our criteria, please email us with a short description of your intended project before submitting an application.
- Submit WFI Application, CV/Resume, and 2 Letters of Recommendation. Email your completed application along with your CV and letters of recommendation to WFI Sr. Programs Manager, Chandalin Bennett, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not send a CV or letter of interest without a completed application form.It is free to apply.
CV/Resume Guidelines: Please ensure the following information is included in your CV/Resume if applicable:
Name of post-secondary institutions
Location of post-secondary institutions (city and country)
Exact dates attended (month/day/year)
Are you currently enrolled?Degree received and date received, or date degree is expected (month/day/year)
Company name and address
Exact dates worked (month/year of start and end dates)
Hours per week
Description of the work you did (include your duties and responsibilities)
Exact dates (month/year of start and end dates) and average hours per week
Name and location of company
Description of the work you did
- Interview with WFI. Once your application has been reviewed you will receive notice of whether or not you have been selected for an interview. Interviews are conducted via Skype and last approximately 30-45 minutes. The interview is intended to be a conversation about your goals for the program and for us each to determine if WFI is the right fit.
- Confirm Acceptance. If you are accepted into the program, you will receive an email notifying you of your acceptance. A formal acceptance letter will be attached to that email along with an invoice. You will need to confirm your acceptance by replying to that email and submitting a deposit within two weeks of your acceptance. WFI Fellowship fee payment instructions and refund policy are found here.
- Submit Visa Application. Once you have been accepted, you will begin the process of applying for the J-1 Visa Exchange Visitor Program, if you are a foreign citizen. This application process is lengthy and requires a different application form and additional documentation. There are fees associated with applying for the J-1 program. Please visit our Costs and Sponsorship page for more information on visa program fees and the visa application process.
‣ Scholarship Application is due on the open application period for the 2018 Fellowship Program is July 1 – October 15, 2017.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.