The Harvard University in USA is delighted to invite applicants for the 2018 Harvard University Environmental Fellowship Program in USA, eligible persons are welcome to apply
Harvard University is a private Ivy League research university in Cambridge, Massachusetts, established in 1636, whose history, influence, and wealth have made it one of the world’s most prestigious universities.
Level: Candidates with a doctorate or equivalent in any field are eligible, and they may propose research projects in any discipline. Applicants without a Ph.D. may apply if they have studied in fields where the Ph.D. is not the typical terminal degree. All successful candidates will be able to demonstrate experience performing scholarly research.
Field(s): Fellowships are available in Environmental program to enable recent doctorate recipients to use and expand Harvard’s extraordinary resources to tackle complex environmental problems.
Value of Scholarship : The Environmental Fellowship Program at Harvard University include a salary of $62,000 per year, employee health insurance eligibility, up to $2,500 reimbursement for travel expenses, and a $2,500 allowance for travel and other professional expenses.
School(Institutions/ Country): | USA
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): Environmental Fellowship Program at Harvard University is targeted for International Students
Candidates for Environmental Fellowship Program at Harvard University should have received their terminal degree between May 2012 and August 2016. (Fellows must have filed their dissertation before starting their appointment in September 2015.)
Candidates with a doctorate or equivalent in any field are eligible, and they may propose research projects in any discipline. Applicants without a Ph.D. may apply if they have studied in fields where the Ph.D. is not the typical terminal degree. All successful candidates will be able to demonstrate experience performing scholarly research.
- Each candidate must secure a commitment from one or more Harvard faculty members to serve as a mentor and to provide office or lab space for the two-year fellowship.
- Harvard is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. The Center strongly encourages women and minorities to apply.
- Candidates may have received their degrees at any university in the world. Foreign nationals are eligible for fellowships, though study at Harvard generally requires proficiency in English.
- Candidates who received terminal degrees from Harvard, and post-docs currently working at Harvard are eligible for the fellowship provided their research and host arrangements take them in new directions and forge new connections within the University. Harvard candidates should not propose to continue to work with the same professors or lab groups with whom they are currently associated. No candidate should propose to work extensively with his or her thesis advisor.
- Successful candidates should be prepared to commit to work at Harvard for the full two years of the fellowship. This fellowship requires residency in the Cambridge area and any fieldwork trip must be scheduled for the summer or January recess.
Selection criteria for Environmental Fellowship Program at Harvard University
‣ Applicant’s prior academic and professional success and his or
her potential contribution to scholarship or practice
‣ Project significance: the potential impact of the research project on scholarship at Harvard and on environmental problems
‣ Diversity: The selection committee will select a group of fellows in 2016 who will complement those selected the previous year, creating a group of approximately 13 men and women with diverse ethnic and racial backgrounds and a diverse set of academic interests and skills. The ideal group would include fellows working with host faculty members at every one of Harvard’s professional schools and many of the departments overseen by the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. Recipients—and hosts—may include people with degrees in the sciences, economics, law, government, public policy, public health, medicine, design, and the full array of humanities. Their research topics will be equally varied.
‣ Interdisciplinary research projects are encouraged, although this is not a requirement for the fellowship. Candidates with interests in a single discipline are encouraged to apply.
‣ Host’s commitment: the host faculty member’s enthusiasm for the proposed project and fellow, the host’s ability to mentor the fellow, and his or her ability to provide office space and a productive work environment.
‣ The Center will notify applicants to confirm receipt of a complete application.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Applications are submitted via online.
‣ Please complete the following form and attach the relevant supporting documents as PDFs:
‣ curriculum vitae including list of publications.
‣ detailed research proposal, maximum of five pages, references counted separately. Within the proposal, applicants should explain their reasons for applying to a Harvard residential environmental fellowship.
Note: While applicants should discuss the proposal with their potential faculty hosts, the final product should clearly be the work of the applicant.
‣ up to three publications/writing samples.
‣ Three letters of reference, including one from the applicant’s dissertation adviser.
‣ A letter of support is also required from the applicant’s host committing to serve as a mentor and explaining his or her commitment to the proposed research, including the provision of office or lab space and any financial commitments.
‣ Applicants are encouraged to ask their referees and hosts to email letters of reference as PDFs or, if necessary, as Word documents attached to the emails. Referees and hosts should send their letters directly to the attention of Jean Gauthier at the Center at environmental_fellows-at-harvard.edu.
‣ Scholarship Applications Due Date: January 17, 2018 at 5 p.m. (EST).
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.