Applications are currently been submitted for the Frederick Douglass Institute Fellowship for applicants from USA ,All applicants are reminded that to be considered for this program, they must have complied to the later with the listed eligibility criteria .
The Frederick Douglass Institute for African and African-American Studies at the University of Rochester brings together scholars working in the humanities and social sciences in the area of Africa and the African diasporas.
Level: Postdoctoral Level
Field(s): The fellowship is awarded in African and African-American Studies at University of Rochester in the USA.
Scholarship covers: data-custom-mark=”true”It carries an annual stipend of $40,000 and a $3,000 fund for research-related activities. The award carries an annual stipend of $26,000, and the Institute offers research funds to support the fellow’s research.
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): Frederick Douglass Institute Fellowship is taregted for Applicants from USA .
The Postdoctoral Frederick Douglass Institute Fellowship is awarded to scholars who hold a PhD degree in a field that contributes to African and African-American Studies.
- The Predoctoral Fellowship is awarded to a graduate student at any university whose degree contributes to the scholarship in the field of African and African-American Studies.
- A principal aim of this fellowship is to provide a different intellectual environment that will enrich and expedite the completion of the Fellow’s dissertation.
- The Fellow will also gain valuable experience through work with the Institute’s director in organizing colloquia, lectures, and other events. There will be no teaching obligation.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Applicants are required to apply online.
To apply to the Pre-doctoral Fellowship you will need to provide the department with:
Please go to https://www.rochester.edu/fort/fdi_postdoc/ to apply on-line or download application.
- A completed FDI fellowship pre-doctoral application form
- A curriculum vitae
- An official transcript showing completion of all preliminary coursework and qualifying examinations
- The dissertation prospectus
- Completed chapter(s) from the dissertation
- Three letters of recommendation mailed directly by the recommenders to FDI, including one from the dissertation supervisor that specifically addresses the candidate’s prospects for completing the project within a year
All fellows receive office space in the Institute, full access to the University’s facilities, and opportunities to interact and collaborate with scholars relevant to their projects within the University.
Fellows must be in full-time residence during the tenure of their awards and they are required to be engaged in scholarly activity on a full-time basis. Fellows are expected to:
- Be available for consultation with students and colleagues
- Make at least one formal presentation based upon their research
- Contribute generally to the intellectual life of the institute
‣ Scholarship Application Due Date: Applications to the two programs are accepted from September 1, 2017 to December 31, 2017.
For more information about our fellowships, contact us at:
Frederick Douglass Institute for African and African-American Studies
University of Rochester
311 Morey Hall
RC Box 270440
Rochester, NY 14627-0440 U.S.A.
(585) 256-2594 (fax)
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.