Last updated on April 25th, 2018 at 02:58 pm
The Group Leader of Nanoionics and Fuel Cells is seeking a PhD student to work on a European Project (ERC Consolidator Grant) devoted to the development of breakthrough concepts for micro-Solid Oxide Fuel Cells (uSOFC).
Energy requirements of portable devices are exponentially increasing while the capacity of the current battery technology is not progressing accordingly. Novel miniaturized devices able to efficiently operate in continuous mode by using a fuel are receiving increased attention. Micro-fuel cells and, in particular, micro-Solid Oxide Fuel Cells (m-SOFCs) are considered one of the most promising candidates due to their high specific energy and power, two times higher than conventional Li-ion batteries. One of the most promising approaches for the miniaturization of SOFCs is based on the silicon technology commonly used to fabricate MEMS devices and 3D printing of ceramics for the encapsulation. This approach ensures high reproducibility and reliability, cheap mass production and easy integration in mainstream technology.
We are interested in a PhD student highly motivated to develop the integration of micro-SOFC into microelectronic technology. She/he will get experience in hands on microfabrication using mainstream microelectronics, as well as a deep knowledge of solid oxide fuel cells and 3D printing of ceramics. The project will be carried out in collaboration with the Institute of Microelectronics of Barcelona (IMB-CNM, CSIC).
- Ph.D. student who is highly motivated to learn, work in a team, high flexibility and initiative and ability to innovate.
- Bachelor and/or master of Physics / Engineering / Microelectronics or similar is required. Experience in MEMS fabrication and 3D printing will be positively evaluated.
- Fluent English is mandatory.
- Three years PhD student contract. Joining a team of highly qualified and motivated researchers working in the frontiers of knowledge in science and technology.
- A salary commensurate with the characteristics of the candidate
Barcelona (IREC facilities)
How To Apply:
Applicants should send a detailed CV, a motivation letter and bachelor/master transcript to Albert Tarancón, atarancon-at-irec.cat. Please indicate the reference “ULTRA-SOFC_PhDFab” in your mail.
Application Deadline: Contact Employer