Entries for the 2017 MIT/MasterCard Foundation Zambezi Prize For African Entrepreneurs are been accepted, hurry and make your entry as soon as possible, ensure that they eligibility criteria are met as stated
About the Award: The Zambezi Prize raises awareness of entrepreneurship and financial inclusion, encourages the flow of capital to financial inclusion ventures, and advances entrepreneurship and financial inclusion to fuel broad-based prosperity.
Application Deadline: 30th September 2017
Eligible Countries: Sub-Saharan African countries
- The venture must help advance financial inclusion.
- The venture must have a presence in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- The venture must have a founder or co-founder that work or plan to work full-time on the venture.
If selected as finalists, ventures must have a founder or co-founder to attend MIT’s Entrepreneurship Development Program in Boston in January 2017
The prize is open to a wide spectrum of financial inclusion ventures demonstrating innovation and potential for impact, financial sustainability, and scalability.
- The venture must advance financial inclusion in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- The venture must be in its early stages, having progressed beyond concept.
- Ventures could include – but are not limited to – electronic payment systems, customer-centered payment plans, new financial products, or mobile banking instruments.
Number of Awards: 3
Value of Award: $200K USD
The first place winner receives $100K USD. An additional $100K USD is divided among second and third place winners and a small group of finalists.
Duration of Program: January 1 – March 31, 2018
ROUND 1: Application Deadline: September 30, 2017
A selection committee reviews online applications and selects semi-finalists.
ROUND 2: Semi Finals
Notified: October 15, 2017
Supporting materials due: Nov 1, 2017
Semi-finalists submit supporting application materials. Selection committee members rank semi-finalists and conduct interviews.
ROUND 3: Finals
Notified: Nov 15, 2017
Finalist announcement: Dec 1, 2017
All finalists will attend MIT’s acclaimed Entrepreneurship Development Program in Boston.
WINNERS ANNOUNCED: Dec 16, 2017
How to Apply:
Award Providers: The Zambezi Prize is presented by the Legatum Center for Development and Entrepreneurship at MIT and The MasterCard Foundation.