SEARCH FOR ANY SCHOLARSHIP HERE
2017 Academy for African Urban Diversity for Doctoral Students (Funded to South Africa &Germany)
Call for Participants: 2017 Academy for African Urban Diversity for Doctoral Students (Funded to South Africa &Germany)
Application Deadline: April 30th 2017
Academy for African Urban Diversity (AAUD) will bring together a cohort of 8-10 post-field work doctoral students exploring diversity in African cities to refine their research focus, promote professional development, and build trans-national scholarly communities. Half of each cohort will be reserved for scholars enrolled in doctoral programs at African Universities, while the other half is open to scholars of urban Africa based elsewhere. Each cohort will meet in two intensive workshops.
The first week long workshop, to be held at the University of Witwatersrand from November 6-10, 2017, combines advanced seminars on theories of the urban,migration, and diversity by leaders in the field; peer worshiping of dissertation plans; professional development; and international networking.
In the second workshop, held in Göttingen, Germany, one year on, fellows convene to present their work and organize a seminar for the incoming cohort of fellows to kick off the next round. The AAUD supports a new generation of scholars in the humanistic social sciences pursing research that advances knowledge about mobility and urban diversity in Africa. We welcome applicants from all social sciences disciplines, including but not limited to anthropology, contemporary history, sociology, political science, economics, human geography, urban studies, and planning.
AAUD also encourage applicants from other disciplines who engage expressly with urban theory. Applicants should have completed data collection by the time of the academy, and be in the initial phase of the write-up period. While we push for theoretical engagement, projects should be empirically grounded.
* Must be currently enrolled in a PhD program.
* Must have completed an extended period of empirical research not more than 12 months before the academy begins and is expectedto submit a completed dissertation within 12 to 18 months of the first Academy date.
* Ability to converse and write in English, the academy language
* Must be willing and able to travel to South Africa and Germany on the academy dates
Applications should be written in clear, intelligible prose, for a selection committee that is
multidisciplinary. Dissertation summaries should display a thorough knowledge of the major concepts and theories in applicants’ discipline and related fields and
should include a bibliography relevant to the research. In their letter of interest, applicants should specify why they wish to attend the academy, and how they expect it to further their progress in completing their dissertations.
To apply, please go to https://s-lotus.gwdg.de/mpg/mpgs/aaud2017.nsf/application. Please prepare the following materials for the application
• Letter of interest (outlining stage of completion and what you hope to contribute to and
gain from the academy)
• Summary of dissertation project (6-800 word)
• Bibliography of 10-20 relevant texts
• Contact information for two professional referees who will be asked to submit letters
addressing your project, and how your work would benefit from the academy.
Applications will be accepted until 30 April, 2017. Late applications will not be reviewed. Please upload all supporting documents as a single PDF file.
- The AAUD provides all travel related costs for those selected to attend.
For More Information: