Graduates with a mechatronic engineering degree have a wide variety of mechatronic engineering salary jobs they can do. These jobs spread across the fields of mechanical engineering, robotics, electronics, computer engineering, telecommunications engineering, systems engineering, and control engineering.
Mechatronics engineering jobs guarantees its graduates a five-figure salary. For this reason, a mechatronics degree from prestigious universities is highly sought for by local and International students.
Just take your time and go through this article, the World Scholarship Forum has arranged every detail you need to know the kind of job you can do with a Mechatronic Engineering Degree.
- About Mechatronic Engineering
- Why Study Mechatronics?
- Mechatronics Engineering Jobs
- #1. Department of Defense Technician – $85,040 to $91,042
- #2. Solar Power Technician – $86,380
- #3. Wind Power Engineer – $83,190
- #4. Automation Engineer – $74,401
- #5. Controls Engineer – $73,493
- #6. Telecommunications Technicians – $64,240
- #7. Biomedical Engineering Technician – $62,282
- Job Description:
- #8. Army Corps Engineering Technician – $54,585
- #9. Logistics Technician – $53,311
- #10. Agricultural Technicians – $52,000 per year.
- #11. Robotics Technician – $51,600
- WE RECOMMEND
About Mechatronic Engineering
Mechatronics Engineering is a branch of Engineering. The term, mechatronics, is a combination of mechanical and electronics engineering. Japanese engineer, Ko Kikuchi, invented it in 1969 as an integration of the two fields of engineering. Therefore, Mechatronics is a multidisciplinary field of engineering which focuses on designing, manufacturing and maintaining products with both mechanical and electronic components.
The disciplinary course has been in existence for a long time, although the term mechatronics is new. Mechatronic graduates have been disguised as Automation Engineers, Control System Engineers, Data Logging Engineers, or Instrumentation Engineers. They have also been referred to as Project Engineers, Software Engineers, Systems Engineers, and Service Engineers in times past.
Mechatronics engineers design, manufacture, and maintain products that have both mechanical and electronic components. Furthermore, these products and systems developed by mechatronic engineers are economical, reliable, and versatile. Examples of these products and systems are robots, air-bag systems, and aircraft cruise control.
Why Study Mechatronics?
In this 21st century, companies are increasingly looking for graduates with multidisciplinary knowledge. Employers believe that people with multidisciplinary expertise and multiple interests tend to be very successful. Therefore, graduates with a mechatronics degree are at an advantage.
Mechatronics graduates and researchers are a valuable asset in the tech world. This is because in the world today, it is hard to see a product with just an electronic, electrical, or mechanical component. Most products are a combination of multiple engineering components. Mechatronic engineers are highly treasured for this reason.
Almost every company needs a mechatronic engineer for their product research, design, development, sales, production management, safety, and quality. Therefore, graduates with a mechatronics degree can get a job in any industry in the world.
However, mechatronic engineering jobs for mechatronics graduates are mostly in industries such as:
- Aircraft Engineering
- Oil and Gas
- Biomedical Systems
- Transport, and
- Computer-aided design.
Mechatronics Engineering Jobs
There is no shortage of jobs for students with a mechatronic engineering degree. Not only can they work in any engineering, technology, manufacturing, or transport company but also they earn a large salary. Mechatronic engineering jobs are usually tagged with a five-figure salary because the mechatronic engineering degree requires a high level of knowledge and expertise.
However, to get a mechatronic engineering job, aspirants must possess at least an undergraduate (B.Tech) degree in mechatronics engineering or other related engineering disciplines such as Mechanical Engineering, and Electrical Engineering. This degree is highly required if the applicant wishes to acquire a postgraduate (M.Tech) degree and increase their earnings.
Here is a list of jobs available to you if you have a mechatronics engineering degree, as well as their average yearly salary.
#1. Department of Defense Technician – $85,040 to $91,042
The U.S based Mechatronic engineering graduates have the opportunity to work in Homeland Security and Defence as a Defense Technician. Based on the Department of Defence prediction that 40% of military troops will be robotics in the near future, this widens the mechatronics engineering graduate’s chances of getting a job in the department.
There will be a need for robotic engineers with strong knowledge and experience on the subject for this mechatronic engineering job. These professionals will work for the U.S government by:
- supporting the design, construction, testing, and maintenance of new robotics and drone technologies.
- Involving in designing, testing, and maintenance of smart technologies used in surveillance, ground operations, and border control.
The salary for mechatronics engineering technicians working with the U.S Department of Defense ranges from $85,040 to $91,042
#2. Solar Power Technician – $86,380
Renewable power is another booming industry that is taking in large amounts of mechatronics engineering graduates.
The professional will employ their multidisciplinary skills in:
- Assessing the job site as well as identifying and resolving any potential hazards.
- Creating or interpreting the solar panel installation plans, mapping out the steps of the installation and deciding where all of the components will be installed.
- Installing, inspecting, maintaining and repairing solar panel systems, as well as the solar collectors, concentrators, batteries, pumps, fans, or support structure.
- Performing all electrical work needed to connect the solar system to the electric grid such as proper grounding systems, controls and all testing necessary.
- Weatherproofing the solar installation in accordance with local safety regulations and the specifications of the manufacturer.
The average yearly salary for a solar power technician is about $86,380.
#3. Wind Power Engineer – $83,190
This is another branch of renewable energy that requires the expertise of a mechatronic engineer. Graduates with a mechatronic engineer degree can easily get themselves a job as a wind power engineer.
The multidisciplinary expertise of mechatronics engineer would be needed to:
- Provide technical support to designers of prototype wind turbines
- Troubleshoot root cause of wind turbine tower component failures.
- Test wind turbine components with the relevant mechanical or electronic testing equipment
- Recommend infrastructure changes to either improve the performance of the wind turbine, minimize operational cost, or comply with existing wind turbine regulations.
- Develop specifications for the best wind technology components such as generators, frequency converters, and gearboxes.
- Develop active algorithms, electronics, software, electromechanical, or electrohydraulic systems for the turbines.
The average yearly salary for a wind power technician is about $86,380.
#4. Automation Engineer – $74,401
Advancement in science and technology has led many companies in various industries to move into automation. Automation involves the use of various control systems for operating equipment such as machinery.
Highly automated companies thus require qualified personnel to man this machinery. Who is best qualified for this job position if not a mechatronics engineer?
The automation engineer with a mechatronics engineering degree is in charge of creating an effective production workflow in the organization.
The basic responsibility of the automation engineer is to handle automated machinery and robotics. However, the automation engineer is responsible for a variety of other tasks which include:
- Developing, deploying, and managing automation at production facilities
- Resolving supply chain, software, and warranty issues
- Managing operational activities and partnerships to ensure a secure supply chain
- Adhering to company and industry regulations while implementing new procedures
- Handling workers’ training in the use of manufacturing equipment.
The average yearly salary for an automation engineer with a mechatronic engineering degree is $74,401.
#5. Controls Engineer – $73,493
This mechatronic engineering job appeals more to the electrical and electronic component of the discipline. The control engineer is required in engineering firms to design, develop, test, and supervise the manufacturing of electrical equipment.
The control engineer is also needed in the automobile industry to design automobiles, as well as in the telecommunications industry to develop broadcast and telecommunication systems.
- The control engineer deftly blends together his knowledge and expertise in electrical, and electronic engineering to:
- Design new ways of using power to develop and improve products
- Perform detailed calculations on developing manufacturing, construction, and installation standards and specifications
- Develop maintenance and testing procedures for the company’s electronic components
- Inspect electronic equipment, instruments, and systems to ensure that they meet industry safety standards and regulations.
The average annual salary for a control engineer with a mechatronic engineering degree is $73,493.
#6. Telecommunications Technicians – $64,240
The telecommunication and information services is an industry filled with mechatronics engineering jobs. A mechatronic graduate can get a job in this industry as a high voltage engineer, field or cable technician, or networking technician.
The telecommunications technician is responsible for installing, maintaining, and repairing telecommunication equipment.
The telecommunication technician is also charged with a variety of functions which include:
- Keeping current systems in the company updated and running smoothly, as well as upgrading these systems and components when the need arises
- Performing regular tests on systems to ensure that all components are running smoothly.
- Troubleshooting system issues, as well as determining what equipment is needed in the company using trouble reports.
The average annual salary for a telecommunications technician with a mechatronic engineering degree is $64,240.
#7. Biomedical Engineering Technician – $62,282
More medical equipment is being used to enhance lives. The mechatronic engineer is thus responsible for building bio-inspired machines and devices that mimic the behavior of humans, animals, and plants.
Biomedical engineers with mechatronics degree analyze and design solutions to problems in biology and medicine so as to improve the quality of life.
The biomedical engineer discharges a wider range of responsibilities such as:
- Designing systems, products, and machines for diagnosing medical problems
- Installing, maintaining, and repairing of biomedical equipment
- Evaluating the safety, efficiency, and effectiveness of biomedical equipment
- Working with life scientists, chemists, and researchers to improve the engineering aspects of biological systems of humans and animals.
The average annual salary for a biomedical engineer with a mechatronic engineering degree is $62,282.
#8. Army Corps Engineering Technician – $54,585
The mechatronic engineering degree can get a degree holder a job in the United States Army Corps of Engineer as either an electrical or mechanical engineer.
The Mechatronics graduate is thus able to utilize their interdisciplinary skills in the circuitry design of the U.S army electrical system. Also, they will be responsible for designing, installing, and operation the Corp’s mechanical systems.
The mechatronic engineer’s job roles in the U.S Army Corps of Engineer as either an electrical or mechanical technician also includes:
- Monitoring and maintenance of electrical systems to make sure it works seamlessly
- Assembling and Installing electrical devices
- Reading and interpreting blueprints, schematic diagrams, and computer-generated reports.
- Researching and recommending mechanical modifications to improve the systems’ performance.
The average annual salary for an Army Corp Engineering technician with a mechatronic engineering degree is $54,585.
#9. Logistics Technician – $53,311
A mechatronic engineering degree gets a degree holder a ready job in the transport and logistics industry. The world has gotten so connected that global delivery is an essential part of the business that cannot be overlooked.
Mechatronics degree graduates are therefore needed for their vast expertise in the transport and logistics industry.
The mechatronic engineering job available to degree holders in the transport and logistics industry involves the use of custom-designed machines.
Therefore, the logistics technician must be experienced in using these machines as well as:
- Developing database and other systems to track, store, and analyze logistics data
- Managing inventory and track shipping items with the proper equipment
- Receiving, assembling, packaging, and shipping packages.
The average annual salary for logistics technician with a mechatronic engineering degree is $53,311.
#10. Agricultural Technicians – $52,000 per year.
Interestingly, a mechatronic engineering degree can get a degree holder a well-paid job in the agricultural, food, and forestry industry.
The rapid growth and expansion in the agricultural industry are making the need for a mechatronic engineer very important.
A well-read and experienced mechatronics degree graduate can go on to build greenhouses for agricultural firms in order to increase food production.
In addition to building greenhouses, an agricultural technician’s job responsibilities include:
- Managing irrigation systems
- Maintaining and repairing agricultural facilities and equipment
- Operating farm machinery such as tractors, plows, mowers, and sprayers
- Ensuring that forests are healthy and sustainable via the use of engineering principles.
The average annual salary for an agricultural technician with a mechatronic engineering degree is $52,000.
#11. Robotics Technician – $51,600
The manufacturing industry and robotics is probably the mechatronics engineering graduate’s first stop for a job. This is because, over the years, mechatronics has been interpreted as robotics.
Truly, the manufacturing industry and robotics is still a hub for mechatronic engineering degree jobs. Here, mechatronics engineers have the opportunity to work with robotics for the medical field, for the military, or in advanced manufacturing.
The robotic technician with a mechatronic engineering degree is cut out for highly technical job responsibilities such as:
- Building robotic solutions which would optimize manufacturing quality and productivity
- Troubleshooting robotic and automation equipment
- Performing preventive and corrective maintenance on robotic and electrical systems
- Installing new robotic systems in stationary positions.
The average annual robotics engineer salary for a mechatronic engineering degree holder is $52,000.
The salary figures for the above-listed jobs available to a mechatronic engineering degree holder were gotten from:
- THE BEST COLLEGES FOR STEM DEGREES(Opens in a new browser tab)
- How to Convert your Internship into a Full-time Job(Opens in a new browser tab)
- 10 Sure Steps To Getting Internship Positions or Summer Jobs for College Students(Opens in a new browser tab)
- 30 Fastest Online School Degree Programs(Opens in a new browser tab)
- 10 Things to do during the first week of college(Opens in a new browser tab)
- Top 15 Cheap Online Master’s and MBA in Marketing Degree Programs(Opens in a new browser tab)
- GoUNESCO Internship Program(Opens in a new browser tab
- 20 Best Online Bachelor Degree Program in Accounting(Opens in a new browser tab)