SONY CORPORATION OF AMERICA SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
YFU offers over 200 full and partial merit-based scholarships and needs-based financial aid to students every year. Through the generosity of numerous corporations, governments, foundations and individuals, YFU awards more than $2.3 million in partial or full study abroad scholarships annually. Students are encouraged to consider all of their scholarship options and apply to as many as they qualify for by the December 1 scholarship application deadline!
Please refer to individual country pages for program duration and departure times.
- This is a full scholarship.
- Full scholarships available for high school students who are children of full-time staff U.S. employees of Sony Corporation of America (SCA) (including Sony/ATV, Sony DADC, Sony Biotechnology Inc., and Micronics), Sony Electronics Inc. (SEL), Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE), Sony Music Entertainment (SME), Sony Interactive Entertainment America (SIEA), Sony Interactive Entertainment Network America (SIENA), or Sony Network Entertainment International (SNEI).
- Previous recipients of a YFU scholarship are not eligible. Employee must have completed one full year of employment prior to the deadline.
- To enable Sony to award scholarships to as many different families as possible each year, only one scholarship per employee family may be awarded in a given program year.
- Academically, the applicant must have a “B” average or better (3.0 on a 4.0 scale).
- This program is not open to children of Japanese transfers.
- Parent must be a full-time staff U.S. employee of SCA (including Sony/ATV, Sony DADC, Sony Biotechnology Inc., and Micronics), SEL, SPE, SME, SIEA, or SIENA at the time the student departs for Japan.
- U.S. citizens or students with permanent U.S. residency may apply.
Japan scholarship winners will participate in a special mandatory orientation in California at University of California at Berkley. Sony Corporation of America Scholarship recipients will depart for orientation on June 12th and will leave for Japan immediately after orientation on June 15th. Students will return from Japan on July 28th.
- Applicants must meet the age requirements listed on the Japan webpage.
- $75 (non-refundable) due at the time of application
Complete Application Includes:
- Complete Online Application
- 1 Teacher Recommendation
- Host Family Letter
- 3 Short Answer Essay Questions
- Application Fee (non-refundable)
- Health Certificate
- Parent-student agreement
- 5 Candid photos
- 1 Passport sized photo
- Round-trip international airline travel
- Round-trip domestic airline travel
- Placement with a carefully selected host family
- Regional orientation for scholarship recipients and parents
- Preparatory materials
- Three-day Japan-specific orientation at the beginning of the program
- Support services in host country
Scholarship Recipients Are Responsible For:
- Visa fees (if necessary)
- Any excess luggage tariffs
- Required overseas medical insurance (many insurance policies will cover students while traveling abroad)
- Personal spending money
- Upon returning home, scholarship winners are expected to complete at least one presentation in their school or community to share their experiences, teach others about the culture in their host country, and encourage other students to participate in foreign exchange.
- Within one month of returning home, the student must provide a report and photos detailing their exchange experience to their scholarship sponsor.
- All applicants will be notified of their status (via email) in April.
- Students may not miss orientation or arrive late in Japan. Additionally, students may not schedule to leave the program early or extend their stay in Japan. All students must fly to and from Japan together.
DEADLINE : CONTACT SCHOLARSHIP PROVIDER HERE