SHARE TO HELP SOMEONE WIN A SCHOLARSHIP TODAY!
JAPAN-AMERICA FRIENDSHIP SCHOLARS (JAFS)
YFU offers over 200 full and partial merit-based scholarships and needs-based financial aid to students every year. Japan-America Friendship Scholars (JAFS) provides full program and partial tuition scholarships to 70 students to participate in YFU’s Summer in Japan Program. Students will stay with a Japanese host family and all participants will be enrolled in a local high school during their stay, since school is still in session during the summer term. This partnership with the Japanese government seeks improve US-Japanese relations and communication, and the student participants are given the enormous responsibility to act as official Youth Ambassadors during their stay as well as Cultural Ambassadors upon their return, sharing what they learned throughout their exchange experience with their classmates and community.
Please refer to individual country pages for program duration and departure times.
- Students are responsible for a $3500 program tuition contribution.
- 70 scholarships open to students who meet age required defined on the Japan country page.
- Students who have Japanese language experience or are motivated to learn Japanese.
- Students must hold a 3.0 grade point average or better on a 4.0 scale.
- Only US citizens may apply.
- Previous recipients of a YFU scholarship to Japan are not eligible.
- Applicants must meet the age requirements defined on the Japan country page.
Complete Application Includes:
- Complete Online Application
- 1 Teacher Recommendation
- 3 Short Answer Essay Questions
- $75 Application Fee (non-refundable)
- Parent-student agreement
- Health certificate
- School certificate
- 5 Candid photos
- 1 Headshot
Japan scholarship winners will participate in a special mandatory orientation in California at University of California at Berkley. JAFS recipients will depart for orientation on June 17th and will leave for Japan immediately after orientation on June 19th. Students will return from Japan on August 2nd.
- $75 (non-refundable) Please make check payable to YFU.
- Round-trip international travel
- Round-trip domestic travel
- Placement with a carefully selected host family
- Regional orientation for scholarship recipients and parents
- Preparatory materials
- Three-day mandatory Japan specific orientation at the beginning of the program
- Support services in host country
Scholarship Recipients are Responsible for:
- Visa fees (if necessary)
- Any excess luggage tariffs
- Required overseas medical insurance (many insurance policies will cover students while traveling abroad)
- Personal spending money
- Upon returning home, scholarship winners are expected to complete at least one presentation in their school or community to share their experiences, teach others about the culture in their host country, and encourage other students to participate in foreign exchange.
- Tuition balance not covered by scholarship, due two weeks after award notification
- Upon returning home, scholarship winners must submit a 2-3 page essay titled ‘YFU Experience in Japan’ detailing their exchange in Japan. These essays are submitted to the Japanese government to encourage funding for future programs.
- All applicants will be notified of their status (via email) in April.
- This scholarship is sponsored by the Japanese government and therefore students may not miss orientation, or arrive late in Japan. Additionally, students may not schedule to leave the program early, or extend their stay in Japan. All students must fly to program and depart program together.
- The flight purchased for this program is a roundtrip ticket and therefore students flights may not be rearranged to include any other destinations other than their departure gate and Japan.
PLEASE KEEP A COPY OF THIS PAGE AND YOUR APPLICATION MATERIALS FOR YOUR REFERENCE.
Note: Scholarship programs are subject to change or cancellation without prior notice.
DEADLINE CONTACT THE SCHOLARSHIP PROVIDER HERE